sawda
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: M2 aftermarket suspension

Post by sawda » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:30 am

Blind Pugh wrote:
ant@apautomotive wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:10 pm
We recommend Bilstein equipment over the KW equipment at the moment although both very good setups.

Ant
Ant,

Why Billy B16 2 way over KW v3 3 way coilovers
I went bilstein over kw as bilstein isnt made from stainless steel like KW is, so is lighter and stainless steel perhaps isnt the best material for suspension given its lack of flex. Bilstein also as large rod diameter for better daming. KW has even more setting options by controlling rebound and compression, Bilstein keep it simple with a soft ot hard series of clicks that will have preset rebound and compression ratios. Unless you really understand all of this and can really test it out then its unlikely most of use will be able to calibrate them to their ideal settings. I Traded better damping for less controls. This is all from my novice research from speaking to various professionals and manufacturers and not Bilstein themselves.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Blind Pugh
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Blind Pugh » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:10 pm

sawda wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:30 am
I went bilstein over kw as bilstein isnt made from stainless steel like KW is, so is lighter and stainless steel perhaps isnt the best material for suspension given its lack of flex. Bilstein also as large rod diameter for better daming. KW has even more setting options by controlling rebound and compression, Bilstein keep it simple with a soft ot hard series of clicks that will have preset rebound and compression ratios. Unless you really understand all of this and can really test it out then its unlikely most of use will be able to calibrate them to their ideal settings. I Traded better damping for less controls. This is all from my novice research from speaking to various professionals and manufacturers and not Bilstein themselves.
Sawda,

Understood.

TBH - I'm up for 2-way damping adjustment as there's lots of reference info online about how to tweak bump/rebound independently to mitigate or remove traits. Plus I intend to switch to 18" wheel/tyre combo so more to fettle I guess !!!

Having said that if I decide to go aftermarket instead of MP coils - esp after the Rybrook debacle - I'm waiting on prices for supply/fit either KWV3, Billy B16 PSS10 or ZF Sachs CSS.

Currently, I have an option for MP coils supply/fit by my local BMW dealer whilst not as cheap as the defunct Rybrook deal - they have come up with a genuine offer for OEM upgrade with 2-way damper adjustment.....

BP
Fettled M135i EB AT - gone but not forgotten !
AW M2 DCT

evolve
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by evolve » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:49 pm

We have been running B16 on our M2 for 8k miles now and its great on the road. Only been on one track outing but even on the softish road setting is was very capable. Also have it on our MINI F56 and again its fantastic.

sawda
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by sawda » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:00 pm

Blind Pugh wrote:
sawda wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:30 am
Sawda,

Understood.

TBH - I'm up for 2-way damping adjustment as there's lots of reference info online about how to tweak bump/rebound independently to mitigate or remove traits. Plus I intend to switch to 18" wheel/tyre combo so more to fettle I guess !!!

Having said that if I decide to go aftermarket instead of MP coils - esp after the Rybrook debacle - I'm waiting on prices for supply/fit either KWV3, Billy B16 PSS10 or ZF Sachs CSS.

Currently, I have an option for MP coils supply/fit by my local BMW dealer whilst not as cheap as the defunct Rybrook deal - they have come up with a genuine offer for OEM upgrade with 2-way damper adjustment.....

BP
Sounds good BP, I was thinking of getting a set of 18s too.

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:17 pm

evolve wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:49 pm
We have been running B16 on our M2 for 8k miles now and its great on the road. Only been on one track outing but even on the softish road setting is was very capable. Also have it on our MINI F56 and again its fantastic.
Any promo deals for BB forum to supply/fit Billy coilovers for e8x, F2x and F87 cars ?
AW M2 DCT

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:44 pm

sawda wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:00 pm
Sounds good BP, I was thinking of getting a set of 18s too.
Bagged a used set of OE 513m’s for a reasonable price despite these being rare as hen’s teeth.

Considered APEX 18” FL5 or SM10 but a bit pricey coming from USA
AW M2 DCT

ant@apautomotive
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ant@apautomotive » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:19 pm

In reality..... how much refinement and how often will you require adjustment. Very little in my experience.

No need to get hung up on how many settings you can adjust etc unless for competitive use.

Also, we feel that the quality of the Bilstein materials is better than the KW.
AP Automotive
Servicing - Diagnostics - Performance

T: 01952 794024
E: info@apautomotive.com
W: www.apautomotive.com / www.ap-performance.co.uk
F: www.facebook.com/apautomotivetelford

Davey M

Post by Davey M » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:47 pm

I was wondering if anyone has considered AST suspension, clearly strong reviews on Litchfield set up. Litchfield also used AST on highly acclaimed type 20 and type 25 imprezzas, feedback seems very positive for all who have used on vehicles from various manufacturers.

sawda
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by sawda » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:13 pm

Davey M wrote:I was wondering if anyone has considered AST suspension, clearly strong reviews on Litchfield set up. Litchfield also used AST on highly acclaimed type 20 and type 25 imprezzas, feedback seems very positive for all who have used on vehicles from various manufacturers.
I considered AST, looks like fantastic build quality amd definately one I seriously considered. The litchfield version is custom valved to their spec by litctchfield. Litchfield is a bit of treck for me plus was quite a bit more than the very high quality b16s so based on those two reason I opted for Bilstein bit AST really did impress me too

Davey M

Post by Davey M » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:50 pm

Thanks sawda, would be good to hear how you find the b16’s, if I do go coilover route then likely between these two options.

sawda
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by sawda » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:52 pm

Davey M wrote:Thanks sawda, would be good to hear how you find the b16’s, if I do go coilover route then likely between these two options.
Will report back soon. Wantes to get a few more miles of varied driving and some track time but so far I am very pleased

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:35 pm

ant@apautomotive wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:19 pm
In reality..... how much refinement and how often will you require adjustment. Very little in my experience.

No need to get hung up on how many settings you can adjust etc unless for competitive use.

Also, we feel that the quality of the Bilstein materials is better than the KW.
Ant - good to know and thanks for the input. BP
AW M2 DCT

TerryCTR
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by TerryCTR » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:58 pm

If the MP Coilys are coded does this mean the likes of the B16’s require the same?
M2 Lci

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:04 am

Saw this on another forum thought I'd share on here - some techy/geeky data details about F87 Billy B16/PSS10....

AW M2 DCT

docwra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by docwra » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:17 pm

Blind Pugh wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:15 pm
ant@apautomotive wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:10 pm
We recommend Bilstein equipment over the KW equipment at the moment although both very good setups.

Ant
Ant,

Why Billy B16 2 way over KW v3 3 way coilovers
Because AP Automotive stock Bilstein but not KW perhaps? ;)

With genuinely the greatest of respect to what I know is an honest and reliable supplier, this is why I dont think traders should be able to give recommendations on forums as their motivation is different from an average user, they are much less likely to recommend a rival product.

Return to “F87 M2”