M2 owners opinions please

Get your M2 fix here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

swanny71
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

M2 owners opinions please

Post by swanny71 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:10 pm

For various sensible reasons I'll be selling my Exige soon and top of the 'useable toy' replacement list at the moment is a manual M2.

Keeping my 130i as an everyday daily driver because I love it and it's worth way more to me than anyone would ever give for it so M2 wouldn't be used for nipping into B&Q, tip runs etc.

I've driven a couple - a manual in monsoon like conditions so couldn't really enjoy it and one with DCT which fealt quick but a little too remote for me. Love the look and sound, Mineral grey is the perfect color IMO.

First impressions are very good, but any current M2 owners care to share their honest opinions after living with one for a while? Specifically the fun side of its character, rather than practical things because I'm certain know it'll be 100% better than the Lotus.

Thanks.
Current: 130i & 1M
Previous: Exige V6, TVR's, e90 M3, 156 GTA, 182 Trophy, 306 GTi-6 + others (some crap, some not so crap)

Japper_M2
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: M2 owners opinions please

Post by Japper_M2 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:42 pm

As per my sig. I do similar. Use the M140i for DD duties and with 5 doors for the in laws. M2 has been garaged over winter mostly but it always puts a smile on my face EVERY time i drive it, whether it’s a long journey or a Sunday blast on local back roads. The balance, front end bite and noise win it for me. Oh and I can’t think of another coupe that looks as good, irrespective of price.

Mineral Grey is perfect too. I know some think it’s dull but suits the M2 with it’s flared arches perfectly. I always bought mine knowing i’d Keep it at least 5-6 years. The M140i will get changed out likely after 3-4 years.

Rich196
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Rich196 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:06 pm

Id love to hear you thoughts of an M2 vs a Exige. These are probably the next two on my list.

Shandy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Shandy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:20 pm

I am very happy with my manual with the M Performance kit on it. I've always loved Beemers but it definitely feels like a special car.

The handling and performance really hit the sweetspot for me. It has enough poke and natural balance to be very lairy with everything dialled off, and very quick when you are keeping things tidy. The diff is superb.

Some of the reviews are a bit critical of the M2 in the wet. I found the more I drove it in the wet the more comfortable I got with it and it has really helped me learn the balance and the limits of the car. Some of these testers get a day or two with a car, jumping in and out of an Audi or whatever, and don't learn the car IMO. I have found it really got under my skin this winter. I've also noticed some journalists have started making the odd comment about how the F series cars get better the more time you spend with them.

I had the first nice run of the spring on mixed wet/dry roads this morning and the car was perfect.

swanny71
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by swanny71 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:45 pm

Thanks guys, encouraging views so far.

@ Rich196 - if you are looking for a pure driver's car, for the Sunday drive out then Exige without a doubt. It feels, corners, steers, rides, stops and accelerates like no other car I've owned or driven. The exhaust note from the V6 is glorious with a 2bular exhaust but quiet with valves closed. Sense of occasion is huge, it looks mental, is difficult to get in and out of, see out of, park etc. - this is all part of its appeal/character but also why I don't/can't use it as often as I wish I could.

It missed out on road trips to Spa, Le Mans and Silverstone Classic because of passengers and camping gear and would never have gotten into let alone out of the campsite we were at in Belgium. I love it but just can't justify it sitting in the garage looking mean for 350 days/year.
I hope an M2 can deliver much of the driving pleasure with our the pain and limitations.
Previous: Exige V6, TVR's, e90 M3, 156 GTA, 182 Trophy, 306 GTi-6 + others (some crap, some not so crap)

Rich196
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Rich196 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:56 pm

swanny71 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:45 pm

@ Rich196 - if you are looking for a pure driver's car, for the Sunday drive out then Exige without a doubt. It feels, corners, steers, rides, stops and accelerates like no other car I've owned or driven. The exhaust note from the V6 is glorious with a 2bular exhaust but quiet with valves closed. Sense of occasion is huge, it looks mental, is difficult to get in and out of, see out of, park etc. - this is all part of its appeal/character but also why I don't/can't use it as often as I wish I could.

It missed out on road trips to Spa, Le Mans and Silverstone Classic because of passengers and camping gear and would never have gotten into let alone out of the campsite we were at in Belgium. I love it but just can't justify it sitting in the garage looking mean for 350 days/year.
I hope an M2 can deliver much of the driving pleasure with our the pain and limitations.
Good to know, I currently have a charged GT86 as my toy / track car. Not sure if a exige could be too much of a compromise. Is it the only exige you have had? Or have you had older generations too? Love to see some pics!

Shandy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Shandy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:13 pm

swanny71 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:45 pm
Thanks guys, encouraging views so far.

I looked at the Exige quite seriously. Apart from the fact I was a borderline fit at 6'3", I just knew I would end up frustrated in the way you are describing.

I'm just back from a weekend away with the wife and the M2 was 100% comfortable and practical getting there and back and still got a good blast this morning. I couldn't have persuaded her into an Exige it would have been parked up.

swanny71
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by swanny71 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:46 pm

First Exige, wish I could justify keeping it :(
IMG_2738.JPG
IMG_2738.JPG (178.24 KiB) Viewed 693 times

Jcarr18322
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Jcarr18322 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:37 am

Coming from a 240i I was sceptical at first - for all of 30 seconds. For me it's one of those rare cars that makes you smile every time you drive it - hard or popping to the shops. Not the fastest M ever but the best looking and as said gives you that special car feeling IMO.

Interesting to see what the CS will look/go like.
Current
M2 LCI DCT
Gone
240i
135i
123D
E92 M3
Focus RS Mk2
Focus ST 3

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:53 am

I echo what other owners have said above, the M2 is a car that makes you want to drive it, few cars, if any have managed to hold my undivided attention for as long as the M2 has, 7 months of ownership and its still as special as the day I picked it up.

sawda
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by sawda » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:36 am

Big fan of the M2. After a poor start from the dealership it took a while for me to bond with it. Own a 6 speed manual for the past 18 months and done a number of track days and love the overall package. I have upgraded the exhaust amd suspension as well as a few other bits and the car feels more edgier amd raw for it. I also enjoy an m140i as a daily which is perfect, but m2 feels way more special. Got 2 young kids and im 6ft and we are all fine using the m2 for a family day out although admittadley once coilovers were added it made more semse to use another vehicle. Boot space is ample imo. Ok so nost of us here are sold on the M2 since we went out and bought one but the car is staying with me for many years and will not sell it, there are few cars that tick this many boxes. The manual gearshift is great too, slightly notchy but once warmed up is great.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Blind Pugh
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Blind Pugh » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:39 am

Jcarr18322 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:37 am
Coming from a 240i I was sceptical at first - for all of 30 seconds. For me it's one of those rare cars that makes you smile every time you drive it - hard or popping to the shops. Not the fastest M ever but the best looking and as said gives you that special car feeling IMO.
wenklaw wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:53 am
I echo what other owners have said above, the M2 is a car that makes you want to drive it, few cars, if any have managed to hold my undivided attention for as long as the M2 has, 7 months of ownership and its still as special as the day I picked it up.
+ 1 on both comments above.

Came from a reasonably well fettled pre-LCI M135i 5dr AT to M2 DCT.

Visually, M135i was more of a sleeper and M2 is more dramatic to the senses and theatrical - still undecided whether or not that's a good thing as I'm a Q-car fan.

The stock chassis is a step up and I've just taken it up a notch again by upgrading to MP c/overs last week - early days yet but happy with my choice. M sport pads to go on next but may track the car with brakes as-is to see how standard pads cope before I switch pads.

Whilst at present, my M2 isn't as quick as my M135i was, I'm still studying my options but lower down my priorities as I watch the snow fall in Sutton today !!!
Fettled M135i EB AT - gone but not forgotten !
AW M2 DCT

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:05 pm

Blind Pugh wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:39 am

Whilst at present, my M2 isn't as quick as my M135i was, I'm still studying my options but lower down my priorities as I watch the snow fall in Sutton today !!!
My M135i had the TMC piggyback and felt quicker than my M2, in fact I am fairly certain in gear once you start hitting 60 or 70 plus it was however I have now come to the conclusion that the M2 is by far fast enough and doesn't really need any more power. I wont rule out an upgrade in the future, never say never and all that but I don't want to spoil the cars balance.

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:07 pm

wenklaw wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:05 pm
Blind Pugh wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:39 am

My M135i had the TMC piggyback and felt quicker than my M2, in fact I am fairly certain in gear once you start hitting 60 or 70 plus it was however I have now come to the conclusion that the M2 is by far fast enough and doesn't really need any more power. I wont rule out an upgrade in the future, never say never and all that but I don't want to spoil the cars balance.
You point about balancing power to the chassis is valid.

IMHO, M2 stock chassis could cope with more power without ruining its current characteristics. It'll be interesting to see what changes are made, if any, to existing F87 hardware for S55 powered m2 due soon.

One of the reasons I upgraded to MP coilovers was to futureproof the chassis to be able to tweak it, should I choose to add some extra oomph to my M2's N55....8)
Fettled M135i EB AT - gone but not forgotten !
AW M2 DCT

Return to “F87 M2”