Get your M2 fix here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

jonnydrama
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: M2 Owners - Number Plate..

Post by jonnydrama » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:06 am

Haha, same happened to me.

I literally must've mentioned it in 5+ emails, DO NOT SCREW NUMBER PLATES TO CAR. Then I noticed the cars come with a plinth so I sent even more emails, DO NOT FIT PLINTH TO CAR. What did I get told the day before I was picking it up? They'd screwed the plinth to the car but stuck the plate to the plinth. Seriously how thick can someone be, when my instructions for picking up the car were literally 'do not fit plates/plinth, only pdi, do not touch paintwork, do not even wash.'

Anyway the wife scratched a bit of the bumper a few months after near to the number plate area so I used it as an excuse to have the holes plugged and painted.

For those wondering how a small plate looks here is mine.

HN1989x
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HN1989x » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:35 pm

jonnydrama wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:06 am

I literally must've mentioned it in 5+ emails, DO NOT SCREW NUMBER PLATES TO CAR. Then I noticed the cars come with a plinth so I sent even more emails, DO NOT FIT PLINTH TO CAR. What did I get told the day before I was picking it up? They'd screwed the plinth to the car but stuck the plate to the plinth. Seriously how thick can someone be, when my instructions for picking up the car were literally 'do not fit plates/plinth, only pdi, do not touch paintwork, do not even wash.'

Anyway the wife scratched a bit of the bumper a few months after near to the number plate area so I used it as an excuse to have the holes plugged and painted.

http://www.eastsidevw.co.uk/board/uploa ... 8f47e.jpeg
Did you not ask them to rectify it?! I'm not an unreasonable person but I would not walk away without anything.

They have offered to fill the holes for me and respray it the bumper or £150 off the car.

I don't know why but I find that offer terribly insulting.

sootyvrs
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by sootyvrs » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:50 pm

HN1989x wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:35 pm
jonnydrama wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:06 am

http://www.eastsidevw.co.uk/board/uploa ... 8f47e.jpeg
Did you not ask them to rectify it?! I'm not an unreasonable person but I would not walk away without anything.

They have offered to fill the holes for me and respray it the bumper or £150 off the car.

I don't know why but I find that offer terribly insulting.
It's a shame that this has soured your experience of picking this car up..

Which option are you going to go with or are you going to push for more?

@jonnydrama - Has someone nicked your grills? :shock:
My BabyBMW's with some Pork inbetween :D
2018 F87 BMW M2 DCT
2017 F21 BMW M140i Auto
2015 F56 Mini Cooper S Man
2013 F20 BMW M135i Auto
2010 R56 Mini Cooper D Man
2007 E87 BMW 130i Man

jonnydrama
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by jonnydrama » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:51 pm

Well I paid £330 to have the holes filled and bumper painted so £150 ain't great... but then they have offered to repair it? I'm not that salty now because like I say I had to get it painted a few months down the line anyway.

Other than vent my frustration I wasn't in a great position to negotiate any compensation etc, I'd sold my car private, I'd negotiated a bigger discount than any other M2 at that point and my train ticket etc for collection the next day was already booked.

To be fair the salesman was a decent guy, I do believe it was a genuine mistake.

jonnydrama
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by jonnydrama » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:09 pm

Sooty that was the day I got it back from the paintshop :lol: I told them to leave them out as I needed to replace one of the surrounds as it got scratched.

Btw HN1989x, don't worry about paint match as they'll just repair/paint that section then lacquer the full bumper.

HN1989x
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HN1989x » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:15 pm

sootyvrs wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:50 pm

Me too. Everything was going brilliantly until this. :roll: I don't think £150 is acceptable at all so I'm rejecting this offer.

jonnydrama wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:51 pm
Well I paid £330 to have the holes filled and bumper painted so £150 ain't great... but then they have offered to repair it? I'm not that salty now because like I say I had to get it painted a few months down the line anyway.

Other than vent my frustration I wasn't in a great position to negotiate any compensation etc, I'd sold my car private, I'd negotiated a bigger discount than any other M2 at that point and my train ticket etc for collection the next day was already booked.

To be fair the salesman was a decent guy, I do believe it was a genuine mistake.
May I am just shallow. It's just knowing that the holes are there and have been patched up is enough to annoy me. Just like if they were to damage the car and fix it, I wouldn't be happy as I know the damage was there and has been covered up.

I'm extra salty because I keep telling myself this would have never happened if I ordered from TRL.. but he just couldn't budge on the price compared to this dealership.

cadmunkey
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by cadmunkey » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:23 pm

Told my salesman that he'd get a bottle of whisky if they followed my instructions and didnt drill my front bumper for the plates. I was happy to hand it over to him when he made sure it was hole free! Cant stand expensive cars being drilled like this, its crazy!
Just to let you know the smallest legal plate on the rear cover the holes fine.

HN1989x
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HN1989x » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:59 pm

Update: They have another customers white M2 just delivered.

They are switching the bumpers as the other customer hasn't put a request for them not to fit the plinth to their car so aren't bothered by how the plate is fitted.

This has now delayed handover to midday tomorrow but I think I will survive. Happy :)

Now my next question is.. how do I know this is true and they aren't just going to fill the holes and respray it? :lol: :lol: I always think the worst!
cadmunkey wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:23 pm
Told my salesman that he'd get a bottle of whisky if they followed my instructions and didnt drill my front bumper for the plates. I was happy to hand it over to him when he made sure it was hole free! Cant stand expensive cars being drilled like this, its crazy!
Just to let you know the smallest legal plate on the rear cover the holes fine.
See, I don't want to have to fork out just to make sure people do their jobs properly. Its such a simple request really..
Last edited by HN1989x on Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sootyvrs

Post by sootyvrs » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:04 pm

It will be funny when you collect and see it in the flesh... You prefer the look of the plinth :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad you got sorted :)
My BabyBMW's with some Pork inbetween :D
2018 F87 BMW M2 DCT
2017 F21 BMW M140i Auto
2015 F56 Mini Cooper S Man
2013 F20 BMW M135i Auto
2010 R56 Mini Cooper D Man
2007 E87 BMW 130i Man

jonnydrama
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by jonnydrama » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:47 pm

HN1989x wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:15 pm
sootyvrs wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:50 pm

Me too. Everything was going brilliantly until this. :roll: I don't think £150 is acceptable at all so I'm rejecting this offer.

jonnydrama wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:51 pm

May I am just shallow. It's just knowing that the holes are there and have been patched up is enough to annoy me. Just like if they were to damage the car and fix it, I wouldn't be happy as I know the damage was there and has been covered up.

I'm extra salty because I keep telling myself this would have never happened if I ordered from TRL.. but he just couldn't budge on the price compared to this dealership.
Mine was originally ordered through TRL but ended up cancelling when he couldn't match this dealer. Fair play to him though, deposit back with zero hassle! Would definitely order a car with him again.

Honestly I see where you're coming from but a bit of plastic welding and a bumper paint is nothing to worry about, especially if just for this reason. Panel repairs is a different ballgame though! Glad you got it sorted, good result :thumbs:

CaptFish
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by CaptFish » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:11 pm

I actually prefer the plinth. Simple and works, plus I can change and screw in a new plate whenever I want.

jonnydrama
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by jonnydrama » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:15 pm

Someone had the US plinth fitted with a short plate before which looked pretty good too.

HN1989x
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HN1989x » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:59 pm

jonnydrama wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:47 pm
Mine was originally ordered through TRL but ended up cancelling when he couldn't match this dealer. Fair play to him though, deposit back with zero hassle! Would definitely order a car with him again.

Honestly I see where you're coming from but a bit of plastic welding and a bumper paint is nothing to worry about, especially if just for this reason. Panel repairs is a different ballgame though! Glad you got it sorted, good result :thumbs:
Yeah he seems like a great guy but of course we are all after the best deal we can get!

Of course, like I said it’s defo a first world problem BUT I do have a 5 digit number plate that will go on eventually so I’m happy that it’s all getting sorted. I can put my baseball bat away now :lol:

azibux1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by azibux1 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:58 pm

EDIT: Didn't notice second page until after posting. Glad you found a solution with them

FYI the rear can also be stuck on fine... mine is.

I'd be rather annoyed but as you say, what can they do?

Free run in service maybe? That's about £300 in your pocket effectively

twitch88

Post by twitch88 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:55 pm

Just digging this one up.

I am picking up my car on Thursday. I have asked the dealer to not fit the plinth or the plates.

Will see what happens!

Return to “F87 M2”