Hips stone chips

Get your M2 fix here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

mctga
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Hips stone chips

Post by mctga » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:29 pm

I’m loving my M2 but I’m finding I’m constantly cringing at the noise of stones hitting the flared arches on the car. After 4K miles they’re already showing signs of damage so I dread to think what they’ll be like after 30k.

What’s everyone else’s view on this first world problem? Get on and enjoy the car? Apply PPF? Fit mud guards??!

I’m finding the OEM fit protective film helps but it’s nowhere near big enough. I’m tempted by having a proper PPF fitted.

I’m also hoping the council actually come and sweep some of our battered roads in the north of England!
LBB M2 6MT

Gone:
Estoril Blue F20 M135i 6MT
E87 120i

HN1989x
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Hips stone chips

Post by HN1989x » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:33 pm

Today was the first day I took the car for a proper drive and I CRINGED at the sound of the stones hitting the car. Same journey as I've done in both my other cars but it sounds ALOT worse in the M2 for some reason! I even somehow managed to get a stone lodged between the disc and pad of my rear wheel. Sounded horrendous.

I'm also curious to know what others have done as turning up the music to drown out the noise isn't an option!

napes5
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by napes5 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:40 pm

Try driving on roads and not gravel tracks??
BMW M2 DCT

YaoNg
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by YaoNg » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:24 pm

mctga wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:29 pm
I’m loving my M2 but I’m finding I’m constantly cringing at the noise of stones hitting the flared arches on the car. After 4K miles they’re already showing signs of damage so I dread to think what they’ll be like after 30k.

What’s everyone else’s view on this first world problem? Get on and enjoy the car? Apply PPF? Fit mud guards??!

I’m finding the OEM fit protective film helps but it’s nowhere near big enough. I’m tempted by having a proper PPF fitted.

I’m also hoping the council actually come and sweep some of our battered roads in the north of England!
This time of the year you will notice it a lot more due to the tiny stones that remains on the roads from the cold weather gritting. Additionally, the roads are now cracking as the temperature rises especially with the use of that cheap surface that gets put down.

If your roads are bad I would definitely consider making that rear arch film bigger and if you track the car then you should consider some down the side skirt as it gets peppered. I've put PPF on the from and I can already see stone marks in it so it's doing it's job just fine.
Last edited by YaoNg on Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black M2 - DCT - black grills - MPE - and a slight wince when I get home late or start early.

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:22 pm

This years been particularly bad for some reason. I noticed a chunk taken out of the paint on the right front wing down to the metal which I'm really pissed off about. Also have about 5 tiny nicks in the windsreen, fortunately non in the line of sight though.

mctga
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mctga » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:08 pm

napes5 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:40 pm
Try driving on roads and not gravel tracks??
I think some of our local public roads are closer to gravel tracks! I’m taking new routes home to avoid them where I can!
LBB M2 6MT

Gone:
E87 120i

mctga
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mctga » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:11 pm

YaoNg wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:24 pm

If your roads are bad I would definitely consider making that rear arch film bigger and if you track the car then you should consider some down the side skirt as it gets peppered. I've put PPF on the from and I can already see stone marks in it so it's doing it's job just fine.
Thanks, I think a PPF is the way to go down the sides and might as well get the front done too while I’m there. Like you say though, hopefully as the weather improves and the state of the roads do this should become less of an issue.
LBB M2 6MT

Gone:
E87 120i

BishUK
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by BishUK » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:45 pm

I had the OEM ppf ripped off and fitted a much larger piece following the same shape as the oem piece. I also had the rocker panels done as they take a bashing too. Plus to hockey stick shaped pieces added to the lower section of the rear bumper. All working nicely, the film takes the hits and the paint looks fresh over 10K miles on.

Return to “F87 M2”