Insurance skyrocketed

Get your M2 fix here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

napes5
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Insurance skyrocketed

Post by napes5 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:00 pm

Interestingly the risk rating of where you live is counter intuitive. Most rundown/poor areas have quite low ratings, whereas wealthy nice areas have higher ones. I guess its due to the ruffians stealing nice cars from nice areas and not their own backyard. Also are rich people more likely to claim for damage to expensive car than poor people on their bangers?
BMW M2 DCT

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:13 pm

Its a strange day. So I get a quote for £530 earlier today via GoSkippy who are online brokers, insurance with Watford RE who I have heard of so happy with that as its the cheapest quote by £100, that was this morning. I then receive another email 10 mins ago from GoSkippy £450 with Watford RE still. Plus I get a free dashcam, probably sh*te. I am now off to buy a lottery ticket

Last week the same brokers cheapest was £675

sootyvrs
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by sootyvrs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:48 pm

I was with Goskippy when I got my M140 as they were by far cheapest at the time but had to change when I did some mods as they won't entertain anything outside factory fitted options

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

My BabyBMW's with some Pork inbetween :D
2018 F87 BMW M2 DCT
2017 F21 BMW M140i Auto
2015 F56 Mini Cooper S Man
2013 F20 BMW M135i Auto
2010 R56 Mini Cooper D Man
2007 E87 BMW 130i Man

duckson
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by duckson » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:22 pm

On PCP cars what are you putting for the legal owner - options seem to always be either - yourself, Company, leased - private, other.
Current - M2 LCI
Gone - M135i LCI

duckson
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by duckson » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:20 pm

duckson wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:22 pm
On PCP cars what are you putting for the legal owner - options seem to always be either - yourself, Company, leased - private, other.
On this subject I put myself and confirmed that was correct with Hastings who I had the cheapest quote with currently (£450 with £695 excess).
Current - M2 LCI
Gone - M135i LCI

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:02 am

duckson wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:22 pm
I was told cars on PCP you are considered to be the legal owner for insurance purposes as you own the car but have secured finance on it a bit like a mortgage and being classed as a homeowner. Leasing the lease company owns the car as you aren't buying it over a fixed term.

Like many things with insurance its all very unclear! Where is your car parked at night the majority of the time is the question i hate as many insurers ask this but then if you speak to them tell you it wont be insured if for example you say its in the garage and it gets nicked from your drive. To me 51% is the majority which means i can park on the drive the other 49%!!!!

Deadeye

Post by Deadeye » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:47 pm

w&nkers at LV were very unhelpful on this subject - as if they wanted to trick you into choosing the wrong answer.

"We can't give you any advice"

"What do others put?"

"We cannot divulge details of other customers"

Tw@ts.
F20 M135i - most toys
F80 M3 - even more toys - gone!
F87 M2 - most toys

Tell others about your car buying experience by writing a car dealer review at http://www.carbuyingadvisor.co.uk

lbb

Post by lbb » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:29 pm

Just saw the google reviews on goskippy - 1.2 stars out of 5. That's quite an accomplishment to p*ss off that many people!

Always in front

Post by Always in front » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:49 pm

lbb wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:29 pm
Just saw the google reviews on goskippy - 1.2 stars out of 5. That's quite an accomplishment to p*ss off that many people!
:lol:

I went with go skippy a couple of years ago, fine until you need to speak to anyone. Wanted to change the policy to another car mid policy and felt like I got completely stung for admin fees and high price for a lower grouped car so ended up cancelling early. The customer service was dreadful so proceed with caution if you go with them. There are others such as Admiral/elephant etc that if you're involved in an accident get another company to handle everything who send you finance type paperwork to sign.
On Order - M2
Current - M140i Manual
Gone - Celica, Celica T-Sport, TT Roadster, 350Z Coupe, 320D Touring

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:23 pm

lbb wrote:
May well be the case but I had to call them to change a small detail they had wrong on my policy and they answered in less than a couple of minutes and sorted no problem.

There are horror stories pretty much for any insurance company. Google reviews only has 140 and a p*ss poor rating . Trust pilot has 1700 and is 4/5 so it’s take your pick on which you trust

ut745
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ut745 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:40 pm

I ended up going with LV in the end. Bloody £1350 though!

lbb

Post by lbb » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:56 pm

wenklaw wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:23 pm
lbb wrote:
May well be the case but I had to call them to change a small detail they had wrong on my policy and they answered in less than a couple of minutes and sorted no problem.

There are horror stories pretty much for any insurance company. Google reviews only has 140 and a p*ss poor rating . Trust pilot has 1700 and is 4/5 so it’s take your pick on which you trust
Trust Pilot is not as unbiased as you might wish to think. Businesses can pay a monthly subscription to use Trust Pilot and some years bàck there was a bit of a scandal about businesses being able to delete negative reviews.

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:42 pm

lbb wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:56 pm
wenklaw wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:23 pm
lbb wrote:

Trust Pilot is not as unbiased as you might wish to think. Businesses can pay a monthly subscription to use Trust Pilot and some years bàck there was a bit of a scandal about businesses being able to delete negative reviews.
I’m not saying that any reviews can be fully trusted but it’s easy to dig out bad reviews of any company pretty much. Google reviews has just under 200 reviews which is fairly low, generally across other reviews goskippy doesn’t fair as anywhere near as low score with many giving such a low score because of the fees they charge to amend a policy or cancel mid term etc.
I’m not saying go skippy are good or bad but what I am saying is overall I don’t think steering clear based on google reviews was justified.

As I said people’s general perception of insurance companies imo isn’t that great, maybe as they don’t make it easy and always seem to be relieving us all of money for nothing as some see it.

A colleague of mine had their Evoque stolen, no keys stolen. Direct line according to them have been truly awful but I wouldn’t avoid direct line if the quote had been competitive.

JonoA

Post by JonoA » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:19 pm

I've been doing some digging around and seen a few mixed prices. 31 year old, driving for 10+ years, 5 years no claims, never made a claim either, just my NCD hadn't carried across, car is on driveway in Cat C postcode.

Initially went on GoCompare last week, best quote for me and the Mrs as a named driver was £955.

Thought I would try today without the Mrs on as someone mentioned above, came out at £789.67.

Thought I would try again with the Mrs on as the top quote was Esure and they weren't on the first quote, came out at £673! This is with £250 voluntary excess.

It would seem that the fugues tend to change all the time, so worth to keep trying. FYI, never had RWD drive car before, coming from Golf R.

sargetheboss
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by sargetheboss » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:32 pm

just phoned elephant today because I pick up my new aw m2 lci tomorrow and they will only insure car as a 48 insurance group.
Are all insurers the same?

Return to “F87 M2”