Page 1 of 2

Litchfield Tuning Kit

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:59 am
by napes5
Hello all,

Saw this Litchfield tuning kit in Top Gear mag this month (http://www.litchfieldmotors.com/bmw/m2). Seems like good value and a decent performance uplift.

Anyone had it done or had a go in one? I'm considering.

Re: Litchfield Tuning Kit

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:15 am
by Blind Pugh
Nape,

I'd ask Litchfield if their M2 tune still involves removal of ECU/BME or is it now done via OBD port. The latter should may less labour involved so maybe cheaper.

Personally, I'm aiming at MHD or BM3 - much cheaper, more flexible and all done via OBD port. Stg 1 with either will net you same power gains and more torque.

BP

Re: Litchfield Tuning Kit

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:34 am
by napes5
Blind Pugh wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:15 am
Nape,

I'd ask Litchfield if their M2 tune still involves removal of ECU/BME or is it now done via OBD port. The latter should may less labour involved so maybe cheaper.

Personally, I'm aiming at MHD or BM3 - much cheaper, more flexible and all done via OBD port. Stg 1 with either will net you same power gains and more torque.

BP
That's all just the engine tuning though right? The whole pack is that, intercooler, exhaust, suspension as well...

Re: Litchfield Tuning Kit

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:56 am
by Blind Pugh
napes5 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:34 am
Blind Pugh wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:15 am
Nape,

I'd ask Litchfield if their M2 tune still involves removal of ECU/BME or is it now done via OBD port. The latter should may less labour involved so maybe cheaper.

Personally, I'm aiming at MHD or BM3 - much cheaper, more flexible and all done via OBD port. Stg 1 with either will net you same power gains and more torque.

BP
That's all just the engine tuning though right? The whole pack is that, intercooler, exhaust, suspension as well...
Not sure but either way, 420/420 power and torque from tune+ I/cooler + cat back exhaust is pretty tame TBH.

MHD stg 1 with just I/cooler upgrade 440/450 power/torque.

MHD stage 2 - m135i with DP and I/cooler -100-200kph in low 8s...

https://www.facebook.com/MHDtuning/vide ... 647201523/

Re: Litchfield Tuning Kit

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:17 pm
by Davey M
Litchfield says in his blog, he restricted to 420/420 as he felt that was the most the chassis could handle. I find it interesting he has gone for cat back exhaust, I would have thought down pipe would have been a logical mod, would be good to understand why he omitted. Quote below:


Having tested the car at the Paul Ricard Circuit and on the road we decided this was more than enough power. When we installed a higher powered versions of the map you could feel the chassis starting to struggle to put the power down and it became less fun to drive. We found the same on our M4 tuning although we could produce considerably more torque than we offer as the car just didn’t perform as smoothly and you end up just producing unnecessary heat and stress for the driveline without improving the driver enjoyment.

Re: Litchfield Tuning Kit

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:21 pm
by Deadeye
Davey M wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:17 pm
Litchfield says in his blog, he restricted to 420/420 as he felt that was the most the chassis could handle. I find it interesting he has gone for cat back exhaust, I would have thought down pipe would have been a logical mod, would be good to understand why he omitted. Quote below:


Having tested the car at the Paul Ricard Circuit and on the road we decided this was more than enough power. When we installed a higher powered versions of the map you could feel the chassis starting to struggle to put the power down and it became less fun to drive. We found the same on our M4 tuning although we could produce considerably more torque than we offer as the car just didn’t perform as smoothly and you end up just producing unnecessary heat and stress for the driveline without improving the driver enjoyment.
I agree with what he says, any more than 420 and you'll have the same problems you get in an M3/4.

Re: Litchfield Tuning Kit

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:35 pm
by Japper_M2
Deadeye wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:21 pm
Davey M wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:17 pm
Litchfield says in his blog, he restricted to 420/420 as he felt that was the most the chassis could handle. I find it interesting he has gone for cat back exhaust, I would have thought down pipe would have been a logical mod, would be good to understand why he omitted. Quote below:


Having tested the car at the Paul Ricard Circuit and on the road we decided this was more than enough power. When we installed a higher powered versions of the map you could feel the chassis starting to struggle to put the power down and it became less fun to drive. We found the same on our M4 tuning although we could produce considerably more torque than we offer as the car just didn’t perform as smoothly and you end up just producing unnecessary heat and stress for the driveline without improving the driver enjoyment.
I agree with what he says, any more than 420 and you'll have the same problems you get in an M3/4.
I understand, but with his logic then why do they even bother offering M3/M4 tunes ?

Re: Litchfield Tuning Kit

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:09 pm
by Deadeye
Japper_M2 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:35 pm
Deadeye wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:21 pm
Davey M wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:17 pm
Litchfield says in his blog, he restricted to 420/420 as he felt that was the most the chassis could handle. I find it interesting he has gone for cat back exhaust, I would have thought down pipe would have been a logical mod, would be good to understand why he omitted. Quote below:


Having tested the car at the Paul Ricard Circuit and on the road we decided this was more than enough power. When we installed a higher powered versions of the map you could feel the chassis starting to struggle to put the power down and it became less fun to drive. We found the same on our M4 tuning although we could produce considerably more torque than we offer as the car just didn’t perform as smoothly and you end up just producing unnecessary heat and stress for the driveline without improving the driver enjoyment.
I agree with what he says, any more than 420 and you'll have the same problems you get in an M3/4.
I understand, but with his logic then why do they even bother offering M3/M4 tunes ?
Feck knows. One thing my M3 didn’t need was more power.

Re: Litchfield Tuning Kit

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:16 pm
by sootyvrs
One word.... Profit lol

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk


Re: Litchfield Tuning Kit

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:56 am
by napes5
not sure if you'd ever recoup the investment when selling on!? Also I assume one would have to tell insurers and get stung for the pleasure!?

Re: Litchfield Tuning Kit

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:03 am
by Blind Pugh
napes5 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:56 am
not sure if you'd ever recoup the investment when selling on!?
Doubt it as it will either narrow yr potential buyers to those wanting more power or put buyers off
napes5 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:56 am
Also I assume one would have to tell insurers and get stung for the pleasure!?
Yes and Yes !!

Re: Litchfield Tuning Kit

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:38 am
by Andy OH
napes5 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:56 am
not sure if you'd ever recoup the investment when selling on!? Also I assume one would have to tell insurers and get stung for the pleasure!?
You'll lose every penny of it and more as you're target market when trying to sell a modified car especially a M2 is extremely small

Re: Litchfield Tuning Kit

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:06 pm
by P1JMB
:spotman:

Re: Litchfield Tuning Kit

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:24 am
by Davey M
P1JMB were you tempted to opt for the ast suspension and have you had the opportunity to drive their test car?

Re: Litchfield Tuning Kit

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:33 pm
by P1JMB
:spotman: