Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: M2 Competition Pack - what do we think

Post by BishUK » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:07 pm

as7920 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:00 pm
lower wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:46 am
Not enough different for me to be seriously interested based on what i've read so far. The best things are the new seats (which will be a expensive option i'd expect)and a bit more power but otherwise it appears that nothing really tangible has changed. Feels like a bit of a parts bin special to use up M3/M4 bits. At this point i don't like the new grill or the wheels. I do like the mirrors and i particularly like the new Hockenheim Silver colour but not enough to make me want to change.

That being said, i've not read any driving reviews yet and the ball jointed suspension and bit of extra power may make a huge difference to the driving experience.

I think the Evo article has coloured my judgement somewhat where they make the point that a number of things that i'd like to see aren't available because the car isn't expensive enough. Eg the weight has gone up because that isn't expensive enough to justify spending the money to make it lighter.

For me, the competition version should have been a significant change. This feels more like another life cycle upgrade.
Do you currently own an M2 ether pre or post LCI?

As an M2 LCI owner, this car does feel like a significant change. Almost a new car in fact. I was expecting a few changes, but not so many cosmetic ones, especially the grille and the number of interior and drivetrain changes and tweaks is surprising.
Agreed.
I'm a preLCI M2 owner and like you, I do think this is a significant upgrade (better or worse we do not yet know) but people saying its a "parts bin special"...well that's just plain silly. The M2 shadow edition, or the M2 performance edition are perfect examples of parts bin special cars, but the Competition has undergone significant/fundamental changes (entire new bulk head & engine, reworked cooling ((internal and external)), suspension and exhaust redesigns + optional braking improvements + more)...I hated the wheels when the EVO leaked pictures surfaced last week, but this week, I can't get enough of them..trying hard to resits upgrade-itus...

moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by moulin12 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:33 pm

- S55, twin-turbocharged, 405 horsepower, 406 lb.-ft of torque, with an advanced oil supply system and cooling system borrowed from the M4’s Competition Package, utilising one central radiator, two side radiators and additional engine oil cooler. Lightweight crankshaft and LSD cylinder liners.

- 0-60mph sprint in 4.0 seconds with the DCT (now faster than the m240i to 100mph)

- new performance exhaust system with electronically-controlled flaps, also newly styled

- upgraded braking system - 6-piston calipers in the front, larger brake disks all around

- carbon struts

- improved steering dynamics (throttle settings, power steering, and the electronic locking differential all recalibrated)

- bucket seats

- m car mirrors

- M buttons

- reconfigured M instruments

- pdc as standard

- significantly refreshed/ restyled front

I'll have my parts bin special in Hockenheim Silver, please

------------------------------

"That’s the whole M2 Competition in a nutshell, really; lifting the M2 from a beefed-up 2 Series Coupe to a full-on baby M4. Which makes its three-grand price rise – to £49,285 – seem like a bit of a steal.

Hands up, who wants a go?"

Top Gear
F22 M240i 8AT

as7920
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by as7920 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:18 pm

lower wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:41 pm
as7920 wrote:
lower wrote:
Not enough different for me to be seriously interested based on what i've read so far. The best things are the new seats (which will be a expensive option i'd expect)and a bit more power but otherwise it appears that nothing really tangible has changed. Feels like a bit of a parts bin special to use up M3/M4 bits. At this point i don't like the new grill or the wheels. I do like the mirrors and i particularly like the new Hockenheim Silver colour but not enough to make me want to change.

That being said, i've not read any driving reviews yet and the ball jointed suspension and bit of extra power may make a huge difference to the driving experience.

I think the Evo article has coloured my judgement somewhat where they make the point that a number of things that i'd like to see aren't available because the car isn't expensive enough. Eg the weight has gone up because that isn't expensive enough to justify spending the money to make it lighter.

For me, the competition version should have been a significant change. This feels more like another life cycle upgrade.

As an M2 LCI owner, this car does feel like a significant change. Almost a new car in fact. I was expecting a few changes, but not so many cosmetic ones, especially the grille and the number of interior and drivetrain changes and tweaks is surprising.
Yes, i have a pre LCI M2.
Then it's even more of a complete upgrade. New rear light cluster, removal of orange indicators in headlights, LED backlit Instrument cluster and new dash.

as7920
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by as7920 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:20 pm

BishUK wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:06 pm
as7920 wrote:
lower wrote:

.....I hated the wheels when the EVO leaked pictures surfaced last week, but this week, I can't get enough of them..trying hard to resits upgrade-itus...
I'm the opposite. More I see them, the more I dislike them. Much like the M3/M4 CP 666M wheels when they came out in photos. I'll wait until I see them in the flesh. I hated those initially too but now absolutely love them.

Perhaps the all jet black will look better with the lighter colours and silver with darker.

lower

Post by lower » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:27 pm

as7920 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:18 pm
lower wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:41 pm
as7920 wrote:

Yes, i have a pre LCI M2.
Then it's even more of a complete upgrade. New rear light cluster, removal of orange indicators in headlights, LED backlit Instrument cluster and new dash.
I agree it's an upgrade, but I just feel a 'competition' model should be more than this.

Jcarr18322
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: M2 Competition - what do we think

Post by Jcarr18322 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:51 pm

I've been in my LCI M2 six months or so now, I still love it. I'm not sold on the looks of the new M2 tbh but the seats/power increase do make me sit up and have a look. That being said, with 0 chance of ending my current deal if I need the power upgrade that much - stage 1 on the N55 M2 is around 390hp I think.

It's a lovely car and if monthlies were correct / hadn't bought my LCI I would entertain the idea. I can't see it being a bad car at all - biggest issue for me is what it will do to the residuals/market for the N55 M2. But that's standard for all cars during their life, buy a car you want now and enjoy it I say.
Current
M2 LCI DCT
Gone
240i
135i
123D
E92 M3
Focus RS Mk2
Focus ST 3

Japper_M2
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: M2 Competition - what do we think

Post by Japper_M2 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:16 pm

I guess most will pay for the upgraded brakes for looks alone as not needed really unless tracking.

However, hope they all realise that they’ll almost certainly groove the inner barrel of their front alloys due to lack of clearance from small stones.

Return to “F87 M2”