Long first drive in M2

Get your M2 fix here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

JonoA

Long first drive in M2

Post by JonoA » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:41 pm

I get to pick up my new M2 next Saturday and couldn’t be more excited.

But, I’m picking it up from BMW Park Lane and I love in Durham. So, I’ve around a 250 mike journey home.

I’m conscious that it will be well within the running in period. It will almost totally be motorway miles so I’m wondering what advice people have? Will I be ok just siting on cruise control or is that a massive no-no? What sort of strategy should I employ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HN1989x
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Long first drive in M2

Post by HN1989x » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:04 pm

Do not labour the engine. I wouldn’t use CC personally. Vary the revs.

According to the owners manual, do not drive faster 100mph and keep it below 5.5k revs.

Also, remember that your tyres and brakes are all new, so take it easy for the first few miles!

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:12 pm

Medium revs, medium throttle, definitely no Cruise.

If you feel like you've been sat at the same revs too long, drop a gear for a while.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:42 pm

Also avoid constant rpm for too longer a periods by changing gears on M way or go via A& B roads
Fettled M135i EB AT - gone but not forgotten !
AW M2 DCT

rob_65
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by rob_65 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:44 pm

Follow the book advice and keep the revs varied within that :) no cruise

CaptFish
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by CaptFish » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:09 pm

Just enjoy the drive but don't thrash it.
I had to do a king drive after pick up and just took it easy. You can have plenty of fun at mid revs as well...

johnboyblue
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by johnboyblue » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:59 pm

Just go and enjoy it. Great car
220d Active Tourer Luxury Xdrive and loads of goodies.
M135i Estoril Blue, 5 Door, Auto,(wish it had xdrive)
BMW 328i F30 Luxury Mineral Grey, Manual.

Birdseye1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Birdseye1 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:01 pm

As someone who is also trying to push through the running in period asap, the advice given above is what I'm following. I try to avoid motorways where possible but if I do go on them I use 5th (at lower speeds) and 6th/7th and vary speeds between 65-85. Once you're used to the idea you can't floor it, you do realise that is still has plenty of punch to get around and it feels like less of a chore!
2014 EB M135i - More mods than I had planned to do... :roll:

NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by NISFAN » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:40 am

Unless you have the rare 1954 BMC C-series engined M2, you can’t really mess up the run in.

Having said that, I’m one that follows the ring seal break in method, where you use full throttle (and therefore boost) on a new engine (once warmed up properly of course).
A series of full bore pulls to no more than 4,500rpm with a sharp let off beds the rings in better than the softly approach IMO. Do this within the first 50 miles, and once done you can drive the car normally, without revving over around 5k.

The manual talks about 1200 miles, but it is good to bear in mind that mile 1199 has much less ‘running in’ importance than mile 11. I do chuckle at people the drive the first full 1200 miles exactly the same.

M240i Auto

napes5
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by napes5 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:06 pm

I had the same long first drive - most advice was vary revs/ speed/ gears etc all the way. Some people said come off the motorway for some stints, but didn't see the point in that, just vary speeds, gears across the lanes.
BMW M2 DCT

Monkeyjm22
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Monkeyjm22 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:16 pm

JonoA wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:41 pm
I get to pick up my new M2 next Saturday and couldn’t be more excited.

But, I’m picking it up from BMW Park Lane and I love in Durham. So, I’ve around a 250 mike journey home.

I’m conscious that it will be well within the running in period. It will almost totally be motorway miles so I’m wondering what advice people have? Will I be ok just siting on cruise control or is that a massive no-no? What sort of strategy should I employ?

Collection day is it? :P enjoy!

get some pictures up :mrgreen:
Coming Soon: M140 MG, 5DR, 8ZF With some extras :lol:

JonoA

Long first drive in M2

Post by JonoA » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:53 am

Monkeyjm22 wrote:
Collection day is it? Image enjoy!

get some pictures up Image
It was mate. Long day but amazing car. Just varied speed, gears and revs. Still managed just over 30mpg so I was really pleased with that. I was surprised how good a cruiser it was actually.

Can feeling it starting to loosen up all the time as well, got just over 300miles now and can’t wait to get this service done to see what it’s capable off.

Still working the iDrive out, which is fun.

Some pics below and I know everyone says it, but they don’t do the car justice at all. Those rear arches are just amazing.

Got some light mods lined up, few carbon bits, might get performance steering wheel and also contemplating wrapping it. Will see after living with it a while as I’m more impressed by the white than I thought I would be.

ImageImage

Aero
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Aero » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:14 am

Very nice!
2016 M135i LCI, AW, MP Exhaust & Grilles.

D6EML
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by D6EML » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:56 pm

JonoA wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:53 am
Monkeyjm22 wrote:
Collection day is it? Image enjoy!

get some pictures up Image
It was mate. Long day but amazing car. Just varied speed, gears and revs. Still managed just over 30mpg so I was really pleased with that. I was surprised how good a cruiser it was actually.

Can feeling it starting to loosen up all the time as well, got just over 300miles now and can’t wait to get this service done to see what it’s capable off.

Still working the iDrive out, which is fun.

Some pics below and I know everyone says it, but they don’t do the car justice at all. Those rear arches are just amazing.

Got some light mods lined up, few carbon bits, might get performance steering wheel and also contemplating wrapping it. Will see after living with it a while as I’m more impressed by the white than I thought I would be.

ImageImage

Looking good , did Park Lane fill your tank for your drive home ?

Dean

AW M2 lci

JonoA

Post by JonoA » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:56 pm

Yeah they did....although it was on my invoice, so technically I paid for it. Must admit, Park Lane have been amazing. My local dealer in Durham never called me back after I had a day long test drive and rang twice to speak with someone about numbers. With Park Lane I had forms signed, money sent and deal done within a few hours. No pushy sales tactics, just told me bottom line price, told me to go think about it, I did for a few hours then got the deal done. Worth the ~10 hour round trip.

Return to “F87 M2”