M2 Competition ordered!

Get your M2 fix here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Barks
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:06 pm

M2 Competition ordered!

Post by Barks » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:19 pm

Hi all,

Had an M135i for the last few years. Loved the M2 when it was released but couldn't quite justify the switch - that has changed with the M2C.

My only concern is the noise. The regular M2 sounds epic and the M135i has a fantastic exhaust note with an addictive whistle from the engine, in Sport+ it has bags of character even with the stock exhaust. To my ears the M3/M4 are louder but the exhaust note is really quite bland comparatively.

Has anyone taken delivery of the M2C? Will put my mind at rest if someone can confirm it doesn't sound terrible! :mrgreen:

Cheers,

User avatar
petay135
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1897
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:36 am

Re: M2 Competition ordered!

Post by petay135 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:28 pm

You say you couldn't justify the switch previously so what has prompted you now?

If it is the s55 then you know you have a strong, tried and tested pure "M" engine which will pull harder than the N55 particularly lower down and will be a tuners delight as it is artificially suppressed via the DME from the factory. It will not sound as sweet as the current cooking M2 and the new bloated exhaust back box looks a bit ridiculous hanging down at the back. Early reports suggest it has been tuned to sound discernibly better than the M3/4 but the essential character will remain the same.

I may make the switch myself in due course but my fettled cooking M2 is pushing all the right buttons for me for the foreseeable future.

F87 LCI M2 MG DCT

Tooney
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:38 am

M2 Competition ordered!

Post by Tooney » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:42 pm

Congratulations on the purchase. As far as I'm aware the official release is 17th of September. So nobody who has ordered myself included doesn't take delivery until then. The engine is in fact running the same map/power as the standard M3/4. This has already been checked and verified by Hc Performance/Bm3. So we can c remap our cars straight away as BM3 has announced support for the M2C. The thing that makes it lose power slightly is the Particulate filters in the exhaust. Reports suggest the exhaust system sounds slightly better than the M3/4. But it will never sound as good as the N55 unfortunately without exhaust mods. But I'll take the tuning potential of the S55 over the sound of the N55. A stage one remap via BM3 will see the M2C 500bhp+.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 Competition Hockenheim Silver

User avatar
FishFingers
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:44 am

Re: M2 Competition ordered!

Post by FishFingers » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:02 am

Much as I do love the sound of my M2/N55, it would never be the deciding factor against buying something else, which ticked more boxes for me, but just didnt sound quite as good.

Just my 2p.

Barks
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:06 pm

Re: M2 Competition ordered!

Post by Barks » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:26 am

Tooney wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:42 pm
Congratulations on the purchase. As far as I'm aware the official release is 17th of September. So nobody who has ordered myself included doesn't take delivery until then. The engine is in fact running the same map/power as the standard M3/4. This has already been checked and verified by Hc Performance/Bm3. So we can c remap our cars straight away as BM3 has announced support for the M2C. The thing that makes it lose power slightly is the Particulate filters in the exhaust. Reports suggest the exhaust system sounds slightly better than the M3/4. But it will never sound as good as the N55 unfortunately without exhaust mods. But I'll take the tuning potential of the S55 over the sound of the N55. A stage one remap via BM3 will see the M2C 500bhp+
Thank you - this is my first venture into owning a proper sports car so very excited. 500bhp is obscene and certainly something I'll explore in due course. Coming from an M135i I'll likely keep it stock for now and enjoy it for a while before the temptation kicks in for tuning/exhausts etc.

I'm not sure I understand your comment regarding the H performance/Bm3. I thought the M2C has a detuned version of the engine in the M3/M4?

Can I remove the particulate filter? I take a reusable coffee cup to Pret so couldn't care less about the emissions from a car that is a going to be a weekend toy. The environment lot can do one :mrgreen:
FishFingers wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:02 am
Much as I do love the sound of my M2/N55, it would never be the deciding factor against buying something else, which ticked more boxes for me, but just didnt sound quite as good.
I've done 2 petrolhead trips to the south of France/Germany in the last year and a good mate has the M2 - it really does sound epic. Unfortunately another guy has a Cayman GTS (not the new one with the crappy 4 pot) and that thing sounds utterly absurd.
petay135 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:28 pm
You say you couldn't justify the switch previously so what has prompted you now?
As above a good mate bought the M2 when it was released and whilst I was blown away I figured my M135i still offered most of the thrills. I still think the 135 is an absolute hoot, trying to keep up with the Cayman and the M2 in France was comical at times. I'd literally be all over the shop but that's why I love the 135, it's flawed and a bit of an animal at times. Sold on the M2C partly due to my personal situation changing but mainly on the fact BMW have taken an already incredible car and gone to town on it regarding power and various upgrades.

Tooney
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:38 am

Re: M2 Competition ordered!

Post by Tooney » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:09 am

BMW say it's "de-tuned" but apparently it isn't according to these tuners. The engine is running the same power and software 431bhp. But the M2C has particulate filters (x2 blue on pic) in the exhaust for emissions in Europe. This is what knocks the power down to 410bhp. I'm coming from a M240i myself and cannot wait. I'll keep mine stock until next spring, it's just nice to know there are tuning options immediately. ImageImageImage


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 Competition Hockenheim Silver

Barks
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:06 pm

Re: M2 Competition ordered!

Post by Barks » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:14 am

Assuming the particulate filters can't be removed easily?

I work in London and inhale diesel black cab fumes on a daily basis so really couldn't care less.

Tooney
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:38 am

M2 Competition ordered!

Post by Tooney » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:26 am

Looking at that design it should be easy to remove them. Cut them out and replace with a straight section of pipe. Only thing is there maybe some kind of pressure sensor going to them, which may need bypassing.The good thing is they are not in the downpipes. I'd remove them but in a way I could put them back on come M.o.t time in 3years.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 Competition Hockenheim Silver

Barks
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:06 pm

Re: M2 Competition ordered!

Post by Barks » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:36 am

Tooney wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:26 am
Looking at that design it should be easy to remove them. Cut them out and replace with a straight section of pipe. Only thing is there maybe some kind of pressure sensor going to them, which may need bypassing.The good thing is they are not in the downpipes. I'd remove them but in a way I could put them back on come M.o.t time in 3years.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If they're easily removed then they're coming out. I still can't imagine the idea of an M2C running 500bhp+

Like yourself I'll stay stock for a while before looking for something more. Thanks for the replies.

Tooney
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:38 am

Re: M2 Competition ordered!

Post by Tooney » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:31 am

Enjoy your new purchase I cannot wait for mine to arrive. If you are on Facebook we have set up a small group for Competition owners have a nosey. https://m.facebook.com/groups/318483268891335


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 Competition Hockenheim Silver

User avatar
FishFingers
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:44 am

Re: M2 Competition ordered!

Post by FishFingers » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:07 pm

To be honest, I think 400bhp is more than enough for most drivers.

Personally, my standard M2 has more than enough power for me. I feel it fishtailing sometimes when I give it a boot.
How many drivers actually have the skill level to fully utilise 500bhp on public roads safely?

I am certain if some people got a brand new car with 1000bhp ......the first thing they would do is go onto a forum to see how to mod it for some extra power.

Tooney
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:38 am

Re: M2 Competition ordered!

Post by Tooney » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:57 pm

You do realise you have an M car and it is supposed to be lively/playful at the rear don't you?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 Competition Hockenheim Silver

User avatar
napes5
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: M2 Competition ordered!

Post by napes5 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:29 am

Barks wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:14 am
Assuming the particulate filters can't be removed easily?

I work in London and inhale diesel black cab fumes on a daily basis so really couldn't care less.
Good bloke :roll:
BMW M2 DCT

Blind Pugh
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 8865
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:36 am

Re: M2 Competition ordered!

Post by Blind Pugh » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:56 am

Barks wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:14 am
Assuming the particulate filters can't be removed easily?
Yes - am sure you could source :-

OEM -

- gut OEM midpipe
- US spec MPE part no and order it w/o having to buy one for a US dealer.....

Non OEM -

- aftermarket midpipe to fit OEM rear box
- most aftermarket CBE may well have an option for OPF delete
Fettled M135i EB AT - gone but not forgotten !
AW M2 DCT

Barks
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:06 pm

Re: M2 Competition ordered!

Post by Barks » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:41 pm

napes5 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:29 am
Barks wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:14 am
Assuming the particulate filters can't be removed easily?

I work in London and inhale diesel black cab fumes on a daily basis so really couldn't care less.
Good bloke :roll:
It's highly likely I won't even bother. Unless the stock exhaust note is terrible (fingers crossed it isn't) then I'll be leaving it stock. I'm not really fussed about all these videos of cars parked in stationary being rev'd - as long as it sounds great full chat with the windows down then I'm happy.

That aside it's also a huge leap in power from what I'm used to.

Post Reply

Return to “F87 M2”