Depo/Retrofit replacement headlights

Find out more about the BMW 2 Series F45 & F46
The BMW 2 Series Active Tourer F45 (2014-)
The BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer F46 (2015-)

Moderators: Lambster, marco_polo, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Rich196

razputin
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Depo/Retrofit replacement headlights

Post by razputin » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:52 am

Recently picked up my 2016 220d Xdrive and have to admit it's not like any other MPV I've been in. Lots of power as it has 190bhp and handles well too. Only downside of the spec is the crappy halogen headlights. Anyone upgraded those before? Or retrofitted them with halos/LEDs or whatever? As it's the M Sport model it looks like it's missing them on the front :cry:

mosp

Re: Depo/Retrofit replacement headlights

Post by mosp » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:39 pm

I just got a 220d with halogens and I’m planning to upgrade the dipped and main beams to Philips vision plus bulbs this weekend- not as effective as a full xenon or LED conversion I know, but an easy partial upgrade. I’ll post back and let you know how it goes. I got some uprated ‘whiter’ H8s to replace the front fogs as well.

Twenny
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Twenny » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:01 pm

mosp wrote:I just got a 220d with halogens and I’m planning to upgrade the dipped and main beams to Philips vision plus bulbs this weekend- not as effective as a full xenon or LED conversion I know, but an easy partial upgrade. I’ll post back and let you know how it goes. I got some uprated ‘whiter’ H8s to replace the front fogs as well.
You might need some little lamps for the side lights then if you’re going for a full white output conversion.

I they’re called 501 iirc

2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+Strut+intake+skirts+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-M135i front brakes-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

mosp

Post by mosp » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:45 pm

Cheers, I’m not too fussed with the sidelights, I’ve used the Philips bulbs before in older cars, the claimed gains are not as great as other (~20% better output) but they last pretty well, some of the Osram ones which have claimed of 50% or more are better but last considerably less - which is a bit inconvenient!

I was quite impressed when I saw how easy the bulbs *should* be to change, at least according to the manual.

razputin
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by razputin » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:15 pm

Please do Mosp, before and after pics?. Sounds like a quick and easy way to improve on those awful yellow halogens. It's a shame there aren't any aftermarket headlights out there for the F45/46. Guess they'll never be as popular as the 3 series :P

I might keep my eye out for a cheap pair of halogen headlights and look at retrofitting the LED angel eyes into them. Have found some good quality LEDs the right size and shape, the ones with the acrylic face. Worth a shot :lol:

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:40 pm

Philips now manufacture H7 LED lamps. They are not cheap but will be a fraction of the cost of a full headlight conversion.
From reviews I’ve read they are very very good.
Glacier Silver 320d lci M Sport.

mosp

Post by mosp » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:54 pm

Ok, so managed to get the dipped/main bulbs replaced but struggling to get the fog light covers off - does anybody have any tips?!

Bolina
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Bolina » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:32 pm

mosp wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:54 pm
Ok, so managed to get the dipped/main bulbs replaced but struggling to get the fog light covers off - does anybody have any tips?!
Show us the finished product please.

I want to see what they look like. Our 2er already has Led sidelights, its just the dipped beam.
F45 218d M-Sport Fully loaded family mobile!
Mercedes A-Class Spec'd to the max!
E81 118d M-Sport LCI Gone
E9x start/stop, Alpine retrofit, OEM interior LEDs, Spacers, Stage 2 + DPF/EGR delete, LED sidelights.......

mosp

Post by mosp » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:55 pm

Will get some photos when I'm back home

I gave up on the foglights - I didn't want to break the surrounds (it felt as through the clips were going to snap)

Return to “F45, F46 (2014 - tbd)”