Gear shift in P position

Find out more about the BMW 2 Series F45 & F46
The BMW 2 Series Active Tourer F45 (2014-)
The BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer F46 (2015-)

Moderators: marco_polo, Rich196, babybmwadmin, Producethis, Lambster

Uzzy

Gear shift in P position

Post by Uzzy » Fri May 24, 2019 3:19 pm

Hi all on my 218d automatic gran tourer. On display im getting warning " secure vehicle with parking brake when stationary" whereas my car is in park postion with hand brake applied. The warning still shows up. The gearbox works fine the car drives fine. Its the warning that doesn't seem to go away. On diagnostics is shows code "420106" code error look up suggests. Shiftlock solenoid: Selector lever wrongly not locked in P.
Is there something seriously wrong? Can someone suggests a fix? Cheers

Nottsknots
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Gear shift in P position

Post by Nottsknots » Fri May 24, 2019 4:45 pm

I think the error code says it really. When you put it in park, there is supposed to be a pin that engages with the gearbox output shaft to stop ot turning, locking the whole thing up so it cant roll away if the brakes “come loose” (yeah, it happens).

The pin is engaged with a solenoid. The solenoid isnt working (or the wiring to the solenoid, or whatever module is supposed to be activating it, isnt working).

The warning is telling you that if you just engage park (without the handbrake), the car wont be secured, cos the gearbox isnt locking up. Just because you have the brake applied, its still going to warn you, so you know there is a fault; some stupid auto-box drivers just dump it in park and walk away without applying the brake (given you are applying the brake, you’re not one of them).

It looks like its gearbox out time, to get to the cause of why it isnt working. Not going to be cheap at a dealer (unless under warranty), so find a BMW independent.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Gone (East), but apparently not forgotten.

Mukwambo

Post by Mukwambo » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:00 pm

Hi, Im having the exact same issue on my BMW 218i. Did you sort it out?

Uzzy

Post by Uzzy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:57 pm

No not solved the issue yet. Wondering if anyone here knows a steptronic mechanic around Lancashire or Manchester area?

Mukwambo

Post by Mukwambo » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:24 pm

Tried to diagnose using BMW diagnostic tool. Went through all the possible causes/fixes which included resetting the ecu’s, checking the fuses and connections, checking the emergency park release button, tracing the signal wire current which included checking current flow with brake pedal pressed and not pressed it to see if there was an issue etc.. It seems this problem is common on BMW X2 and Mini Cooper as well but no one is giving a solution. I think the fault is inside the shift so might replace the shift and see if anything changes. I’m not sure of the prices though. Because the issue is not actually affecting the cars use, I will hold on for awhile. Maybe someone will find a way soon but will keep looking.. Anyone else? Honest John has someone reporting same issue on f46 2 series GT

Mukwambo

Post by Mukwambo » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:18 pm

Fixed - small mod made inside the shifter. Local expert says its a common issue. Alternatively, change the shifter but the issue might reappear as there’s a weakness in design.

Uzzy

Post by Uzzy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:50 am

Great. Can you share details of what was modified?

Shipa

Post by Shipa » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:47 am

Mukwambo wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:18 pm
Fixed - small mod made inside the shifter. Local expert says its a common issue. Alternatively, change the shifter but the issue might reappear as there’s a weakness in design.
Hi to everyone! Writing to you from Ukraine! I have faced the same issue on my X1 F48 18d. Warranty has already expired so I would highly appreciate if you could explian the mod you have done.
Thanks in advance.

Shipa

Post by Shipa » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:17 am

Would post here the link to bimmerpost thread where there is an idea to write a mutual claim letter about this error.

https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/showt ... ?t=1598332

Please support / give us your information thus we could have more chances to be heared

Return to “F45, F46 (2014 - tbd)”