F45 - Automatic - Gear shift pattern

Find out more about the BMW 2 Series F45 & F46
The BMW 2 Series Active Tourer F45 (2014-)
The BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer F46 (2015-)

Moderators: babybmwadmin, Rich196, Producethis, Lambster, marco_polo

venky

F45 - Automatic - Gear shift pattern

Post by venky » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:27 pm

Hi,
I recently bought pre-owned BMW 220D (F45) automatic transmission 2016 model year with 70,000 miles clocked in. To be honest, engine performance of this car is brilliant. Since this being my first AT car, I have a question regarding with the Gear shifts. Gear shifts from 1st --> 2nd --> 3rd is triggered only when the engine speed reaches around 2000 rpm, and i am able to feel the gear shifts. Is this common for AT vehicles ? or any transmission issues that i may have to fix with my car ? Kindly suggest.

Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: F45 - Automatic - Gear shift pattern

Post by Octavius » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:13 pm

Gearbox should have been serviced at 60K miles.
Glacier Silver 320d lci M Sport.

damienf45

Post by damienf45 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:05 pm

I also have an f45 220d, mine is 2017 with 9k miles with sports auto (asin 8speed) I have found (by taking logs over OBD) that the shift points on mine when in comfort driving mode and normal transmission (not pushed left for sport) that the shift points are as follows:
1st to 2nd @ 1800rpm (I can usually feel this one)
2nd to 3rd @ 1700rpm (I dont usually notice this one)
3rd to 4th @ 1400rpm (I dont usually notice this one either)
These do change a bit depending on vehicle load (eg going uphill or carrying a load).

I also found a technical doc for this car that state the gear ratios are as follows:

final drive..2.839

Final drive being the ratio applied where transmission meets driveshaft.

Therefore for an overall wheel diameter of 25.2inchs (18inch wheel with 225/40 tyre) I calculate the shift points I mention above to be at the following speeds:
1st to 2nd @ 9.7mph
2nd to 3rd @ 14.7mph
3rd to 4th @ 19.8mph

Additionally I have read that the car does adapt to the drivers driving style over time, I assume this means the shift points are adjusted (I dont know how much). I have found that these adaptions can be reset using yourself using ISTA+ or by dealer with ISTA+.

Im fairly sure that the BMW service schedule does not include changing the transmission fluid ever for normal use cars. I have read that it is recommended to have it changed 'regularly' if the car is used for towing a lot.

Now, personally I would expect to start feeling the gear shifts more as time & miles go on (I wouldn't be surprised to feel 2nd to 3rd and so on at 60k), but I wouldn't expect the shift points to change (beyond the driver adaptions).

A few things I would suggest...
-Consult a dealer or use ISTA+ to reset transmission adaptions (thinking transmission is adapted to old drivers style).
-Buy a cheap OBD scanner and log as I have and compare to mine (see if the shift points are close to mine).
-Think about getting the transmission fluid changed (I'm planning to do mine at 50k regardless of car use).
-If you have sports auto transmission try changing gear manually at different rpm to see if you can still feel the shifting.
-Enjoy the car and what I rate as a superb auto transmission (I have driven a few auto cars and think this is the best).

Hope this helps :-)

damienf45

Post by damienf45 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:17 pm

Here is a link to the technical document that I mentioned in my last post
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/a ... 2EN/312194

venky

Post by venky » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:47 am

Thank you soo much for taking your time and explaining me in details. That's so kind of you. Will buy a OBD logger and try to find the shift points.
Thank you once again. :)

damienf45

Post by damienf45 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:49 pm

No problem at all. Happy to help.

I have the odblink lx Bluetooth obd adapter and software.
It was a bit expensive in my opinion but I bought it as it comes with free software and is recommended by bimmercode (if you plan to do some coding in future).
After buying it I found that there aren't very many obd pids that you can read for BMW (just basic stuff like rpm and speed etc). Also also the read rate is only around 200ms, meaning you don't get very high precision logging. I don't know if this is due to it being Bluetooth or the adapter itself or even a limitation in the car. Also I have decided against using bimmercode for coding (I use esys instead as I think it's safer). So for these reasons I say just buy a cheap obd adaptor and use one of the free apps/software for logging.

venky

Post by venky » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:56 pm

Thanks. That input will surely help me.
Just another question. Is ISTA+ official software to reset the transmission adaptations ? If i use it, will it void any BMW authorised services / parts replacements in future ?
Also there are few videos around in youtube that shows how to reset the adaptations with Accelerator pushed down to floor for few seconds. Does it really work ?
Sorry for to many questions ;)

damienf45

Post by damienf45 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:20 pm

No need to apologise for asking questions (its how we all learn from each other).

ISTA+ is the official software that BMW use to diagnose and repair issues on F series BMWs. I have seen a BMW engineer using it on my car (when he replaced my EGR valve). Also I have performed the reset of transmission adaptions successfully using it on my own car.
I don't 'think' using ISTA+ yourself will void anything as I don't think its traced (I cant see any evidence within ISTA+) also as its what BMW use themselves I cant see it being an issue. Saying that, this is my own assumption. I will say I have used ISTA+ a few times myself and have been to my BMW dealer for services and minor repairs since and they havn't mentioned anything.

I have also seen the 'push the accelerator down' videos and write ups and I have tried this on my car with no effect (no beeps or noticeable difference), I guess that either:
1) There is some confusion out there and this procedure actually resets the throttle response (makes sense as you depress the throttle etc).
2) This was an old method for resetting transmission adaptions on perhaps E series BMWs.

You may not know but there is a website call newTIS where some clever bod has extracted all the text from ISTA and posted it for all to access very easily (Thankyou whoever you are).. here is a page that mentions transmission adaptions on the F45/F46:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f45- ... 1VnYFwNDAh

venky

Post by venky » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:03 pm

Thanks a lot mate :)

Return to “F45, F46 (2014 - tbd)”