Gran Tourer. Xdrive, yes or no?

Find out more about the BMW 2 Series F45 & F46
The BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe F44 (2019-)
The BMW 2 Series Active Tourer F45 (2014-)
The BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer F46 (2015-)

Moderators: Lambster, marco_polo, Rich196, babybmwadmin, Producethis

celica

Gran Tourer. Xdrive, yes or no?

Post by celica » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:37 am

I remember seeing a youtube review of a 220d xdrive; the long term test, the person mentioned which options he likes and would potentially deselect if choosing again. one of them was deselect Xdrive, as means no middle tunnel for more space and improved mpg.

any thoughts?

Sid10

Re: Gran Tourer. Xdrive, yes or no?

Post by Sid10 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:10 am

Hi we have a 220d xdrive M sport Gran tourer owned for nearly 3 years and 36000 miles , great car plenty of power low down , 40 mpg , the car is auto and is brilliant , 4 wheel drive is very good not noticeable in most driving situations but reassuring to know you have it . We also had an Active tourer for a year 218i M sport covered 10000 miles which was not as confident in bends or on wet roads hence it has now left the fleet .
Our Gran tourer has M sport spec which is a must , pano roof , park assist , auto , towbar , the only thing I wouldnt spec next time would be the park assist however some people may find it useful in towns .
The Active tourer worked much better in the winter with winter tyres ! That was also an M sport , 6 speed manual which I found ok but not as easy as the 220d auto . 2017 plate on got the latest sat nav which is much better than the old one .
Will be selling my winter wheels off the Active tourer also fit Gran tourer which have the rdci valves fitted on the forum .

MarkySpark

Post by MarkySpark » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:17 pm

I have a Gran Tourer 220d xDrive Luxury. To be honest, it’s difficult to know when the 4WD is actually working, because it’s completely automated. I like having it, just for the extra security.
I could be mistaken, but I thought that even the non-xDrive version still has the same (empty) transmission tunnel between the rear seats. You should check this before deciding, if this space issue is important to you.

celica

Post by celica » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:50 pm

thanks both

I was thinking more from a trade off on mpg

think my like to have would be pano roof, auto, camera and sensors, no need to park assist.

Tiberius
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Tiberius » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:54 pm

AWD is dead weight on most FWD-based cars. The rear wheels usually only engage when the front wheel lose traction. Basically you don't benefit from any torque vectoring during cornering.

However AWD is worth having if you drive on roads that are icy or have very poor surface traction during winter.
Cars:
-19' M140i SE, AW, MP LSD, Birds B1 Suspension(Adaptive delete), Heated Seats, Power Folding Mirrors, F&R PDC, Rev.Camera

-19' X3 20i M-Sport, Adaptive Suspenion, Pro Nav, Icon Headlights, Parking Assist Plus, Power Folding Mirrors

Return to “F44, F45, F46 (2014 - tbd)”