Radiator blind ?? !!

Find out more about the BMW 2 Series F45 & F46
The BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe F44 (2019-)
The BMW 2 Series Active Tourer F45 (2014-)
The BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer F46 (2015-)

Moderators: babybmwadmin, Producethis, marco_polo, Lambster, Rich196

Brian L
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Radiator blind ?? !!

Post by Brian L »

The car (2015 Active Tourer 225i xdrive f45) had the oil/filter/pollen service yesterday at the local BMW indy garage. All OK but the minor comment was that the ecu fault code system had a stored error code for the radiator blind actuator. Apparently just a once only incident and everything was OK now. I didn't even know such a blind existed on the car !
I assume that it's the modern day electronic (OK if it works but being electronic it's bound to fail at some point) equivalent of the piece of cardboard covered in foil and put over the front grill that went on in November and stayed until March. This was the time when winters were proper winters and you needed gloves to drive in so the fingers didn't freeze !
I assume the blind is cold sensitive....where do I look to see it ?
Cheers
Brian.
Autosri
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Radiator blind ?? !!

Post by Autosri »

Yeah I think it closes at speed aswell to reduce drag and reduce airflow through the radiator
Like you say just something else to go wrong
cuke2u
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by cuke2u »

It is and to aid warmup...
M235I xDrive Grand Coupe, Snapper Rocks, Pro, Tech and Drivers Assistant Packs, 19" 557M Wheels
MarkySpark

Post by MarkySpark »

I took my 2-Series Gran Tourer (F46) for a service a few months ago, and they said the same thing. I had told them that the air conditioning seemed really noisy, and seemed to have to work too hard in order to keep the inside of the car cool on days when it was really hot outside. They said that maybe this radiator blind hadn’t been opening properly, meaning that there was insufficient air coming in.
cuke2u
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by cuke2u »

Strange as usually the condenser for the air con has air going to it all of the time and is mounted under the main radiator with it's own grill...
M235I xDrive Grand Coupe, Snapper Rocks, Pro, Tech and Drivers Assistant Packs, 19" 557M Wheels

Return to “F44, F45, F46 (2014 - tbd)”