New owner questions

Find out more about the BMW 2 Series F45 & F46
The BMW 2 Series Active Tourer F45 (2014-)
The BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer F46 (2015-)

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Babaa
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

New owner questions

Post by Babaa » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:25 am

Hi all,

I've just recently sold my m135i to make way for us to get a second hand Active Tourer for my wife and having picked it up a few days ago and having had a quick search, I've got a few newbie questions:

1 - when adjusting the auto boot opening height, it seems to work on most levels, but if we try to set it to open up to full height it actually only opens up a tiny bit. Is that by design / common issue, or something we should just get looked at before the warranty runs out?

2 - does anyone happen to know if the BMW towbars that I think can be specced when buying the car, can also be fitted retrospectively?

3 - it is a 220i MSport manual, so was wondering if any others with the same can give an idea of the sort of real world MPG we should expect to see?

4 - I thought it had cruise control, but seems like it only has something called LIM. This seems to kind of be the opposite to cruise control - i.e. you set a speed in it but instead of keeping you at that as a minimum, that is the maximum it lets you go but you still have to keep the accelerator depressed the whole time, is that how it works?

Other than that, in the relatively short drives I've had in it, it seems very good. Wife had a SUV before, so definitely a bit lower, but I'd also say that it drives and handles much more like a hot hatch than a small people carrier type car. Interior trim etc. all very good.

Thanks in advance for any help / advice or tips anyone can offer -- Babaa
2018 m140i SE
2015 220i Active Tourer
2013 m135i (now gone)

RedlineDrifter
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: New owner questions

Post by RedlineDrifter » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:08 am

Babaa wrote:Hi all,

I've just recently sold my m135i to make way for us to get a second hand Active Tourer for my wife and having picked it up a few days ago and having had a quick search, I've got a few newbie questions:

1 - when adjusting the auto boot opening height, it seems to work on most levels, but if we try to set it to open up to full height it actually only opens up a tiny bit. Is that by design / common issue, or something we should just get looked at before the warranty runs out?

2 - does anyone happen to know if the BMW towbars that I think can be specced when buying the car, can also be fitted retrospectively?

3 - it is a 220i MSport manual, so was wondering if any others with the same can give an idea of the sort of real world MPG we should expect to see?

4 - I thought it had cruise control, but seems like it only has something called LIM. This seems to kind of be the opposite to cruise control - i.e. you set a speed in it but instead of keeping you at that as a minimum, that is the maximum it lets you go but you still have to keep the accelerator depressed the whole time, is that how it works?

Other than that, in the relatively short drives I've had in it, it seems very good. Wife had a SUV before, so definitely a bit lower, but I'd also say that it drives and handles much more like a hot hatch than a small people carrier type car. Interior trim etc. all very good.

Thanks in advance for any help / advice or tips anyone can offer -- Babaa
Hi mate, and welcome to Active Tourer ownership! Sounds like we’ve followed a similar path with regards to model ownership..

FWIW here’s my tuppence worth;

1 - sounds like something you want to get looked at before warranty runs out. When set to open full, mine opens full.

2 - yes, I believe BMW tow bars can be retrofitted. Your local franchised retailer ought to be able to provide a quote.

3 - apologies, my model is different.. so can’t comment here.

4 - yes that is how LIM works.

Happy motoring :)

- Red

Sat & Sun: '16 F21 M135i (sold!) :(
Mon - Fri: '17 F45 225xe M Sport
F21 M135I LCI

- "Sideways is the way forwards"

Elpeterol

Post by Elpeterol » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:41 am

I've got a 220i Luxury and it is returning about 38mpg mostly mixed motoring.

Babaa
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Babaa » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:08 pm

Thanks both.

Will definitely get it booked in to check the boot opening height issue shortly and also ask about the towbar, although I think at BMW it is likely to be more than an aftermarket one.

Also thanks for the potential MPG from the 220i. We have done one longer run with kids & pressies in the car and got around that, but then I undid all the good work with my first more spirited drive with no passengers in it.

Was pretty impressed to be honest with the grip in the wet and the handling - I'd say much closer to hot hatch handling that I thought and than it looks like it might deliver from the outside. Very happy with it in MSport trim, though I guess the downside might be not so supple for my wife doing the school runs etc., but still not that bad.

Cheers -- Babaa
2018 m140i SE
2015 220i Active Tourer
2013 m135i (now gone)

Return to “F45, F46 (2014 - tbd)”