Voice control

Find out more about the BMW 2 Series F45 & F46
The BMW 2 Series Active Tourer F45 (2014-)
The BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer F46 (2015-)

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Laddersuk

Voice control

Post by Laddersuk » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:43 pm

Hi everyone, newbie here.
I have just bought a second hand 218i and can’t seem to get the voice control to work with the nav.
Can anyone advise me how I can find out if it’s a loaded feature please.
Cheers

psactivetourer

Re: Voice control

Post by psactivetourer » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:31 am

I have the steering wheel voice button on my recent 218i. I cannot get it to respond.

A fellow from the BMW workshop had a word with me. He said something vague along the lines of it only works if the right package(s) were specified when ordering the car, or something to that effect.

I wonder why the button was fitted at the factory if it is inactive. Maybe it works with an i-phone??

psactivetourer

Post by psactivetourer » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:17 am

Had a think. The voice control may only work when the so-called Professional Satnav is fitted.

Laddersuk

Post by Laddersuk » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:42 am

Thanks for the input and I have delved deeper and I believe you are correct about the sat nav pro package, goodness knows how much that would be!

psactivetourer

Post by psactivetourer » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:39 pm

The Navigation Plus Package was £1400 including head-up display.

A tip, and apologies if you already know this, it is possible to find the build sheet for your car which lists all the bits and bobs. Search for BMW Vin Decoder and put in the last digits of the Vin. Up it comes.

ellingtj
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ellingtj » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:28 pm

If it is a pre LCI tourer then it is likely to be idrive 4, the voice control on this is crap compared to 5 and 6.

psquared

Post by psquared » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:04 pm

I have the nav pro with the head up display and agree that it is very expensive. That said I don’t regret it for a moment. The wider screen gives much better coverage on maps and I find the ability to split the screen to display different items very useful at times. The HUD I think is fantastic. I have the camera to show the current speed limit alongside the actual speed I am doing. In an area often having mobile speed cameras or when on unfamiliar territory that makes life a lot easier. And when using nav the directions show on the HUD.

I have had little success with voice control. It will communicate with my iPhone and dial a number you ask it to call. You can also ask a question of Siri. Not necessarily a great advantage but it is amusing. But I have not been able to get it to do anything else.

I drove a 3 month old well loaded X2 recently (my car was in for a software update) and while I didn’t get much chance to check it out in detail, I thought that the later version of idrive looked to be a notable improvement - certainly the map display was better.

Return to “F45, F46 (2014 - tbd)”