Automatic tailgate opening

Find out more about the BMW 2 Series F45 & F46
The BMW 2 Series Active Tourer F45 (2014-)
The BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer F46 (2015-)

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

MarkySpark

Automatic tailgate opening

Post by MarkySpark » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:12 pm

Does anybody know of any way to turn off the automatic tailgate opening sensor on a F46 Gran Tourer? On my car, this came as part of a package which included the sensors in the door handles (so that you can lock and unlock the car without having to use the keyfob remote). I love having the sensors in the door handles, but I absolutely HATE the tailgate sensor. There have been several occasions when it has opened/closed without me intending it to do so, including once when it hit me on the head, and another time when it very nearly hurt one of my kids. Last time I took it for a service at my BMW main dealer, I asked whether it was possible to deactivate the tailgate opening sensor, but they told me it wasn't possible to do that without also deactivating the fire handle sensors.

Nottsknots
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Automatic tailgate opening

Post by Nottsknots » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:10 pm

I dont know if it could be coded off, but I'd start by pulling the two pin plug off the bottom sensor (should be visible under the middle of the bumper if you lie on your back).
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f46- ... g/HD6o4Vgv
(Last diagram, towards the bottom of that page).

If you can see the video on this link, that might help (I cant see it on my cr@ppy @pple piece-of-sh!t, so I cant tell whats in there).
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f46- ... 1VnYIyM2iI

No sensor means it cant work; it'll record a fault code, but so what. I have no idea if that mit prevent other ways of opening the tailgate, but give it a go, and if you get unexpected results, plug it back in. You may be able to disconnect it electrically whilst leaving the plug in the socket (i.e. Only pull it out a bit) which may prevent water getting into the connector, should you decide to reconnect later - you'll be the one pioneering this I suspect :D .
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Return to “F45, F46 (2014 - tbd)”