Driving position - AT v. Coupe

Find out more about the BMW 2 Series F45 & F46
The BMW 2 Series Active Tourer F45 (2014-)
The BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer F46 (2015-)

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

TBH1

Driving position - AT v. Coupe

Post by TBH1 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:45 am

I am dithering between an AT (which I have sat in and driven) and a coupe (which does not seem to be available very locally to see). I know they are very different cars, aimed at a different market, but I am not sure which I am in at the moment (late mid-life crisis, long story !). Quick q. is whether the coupe also has the raised driving position and large "picture window" effect that one gets on the AT, or is it a whole different experience in the driving seat ?

dorsetred
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Driving position - AT v. Coupe

Post by dorsetred » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:00 pm

Reading your post suggests you're looking at 1 or 2 series coupe as opposed to the AT, definitely more room from the driver's aspect in the AT, we changed from a 1-series MY14 coupe to our current AT and there's no comparison between the two check out the internal dimensions. In respect to the "raised" seat position perhaps it's better for you to complete a decent test drive to determine which you find more comfortable rather than ask for other people's opinions especially as there's a considerable difference between the two variants coupled with manual or automatic?

dorsetred 8)
[/color]Mercedes-AMG GLA 45
Previous - BMW 218d M Sport Active Tourer, BMW 118d, Honda Civic V-Tech Type R GT, Volvo C-30 1.8 R-Design, Honda HRV

psquared

Post by psquared » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:09 pm

I really enjoy my AT but dislike the poor visibility caused by the driver's door frame, especially at things like small roundabouts. It may be OK if you're a 6 footer but if you're relatively short like me, even with the seat back as far as I can get it and still reach things, it does get in the way. But in all other respects the AT gives me what I wanted, a bit of height, a decent amount of space and enough performance from the 220i coupled with the 8 speed auto to keep me happy. The larger info screen and the HUD was something of an indulgence but I find them brilliant. The sunroof was also an indulgence but one I am very happy I chose as it makes the interior a much nicer place to be.
2016 220i Sport auto F45 with Navplus, Comfort and Technology packs, Pano sunroof, Driving Assist and electric folding mirrors. Alpine white and standard wheels cause I preferred to spend on what I could see and use.

Kiwi
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Kiwi » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:01 am

I still have my 220i convertible and their is a little space difference from the AT but I would not just make a call on room I would make the decision on what you will enjoy driving for the next 3 years.
2016 BMW 225xe M Sport Mineral White
2015 BMW 220i M Sport Convertible Black Sapphire

Kiwi
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Kiwi » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:03 am

psquared wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:09 pm
I really enjoy my AT but dislike the poor visibility caused by the driver's door frame, especially at things like small roundabouts. It may be OK if you're a 6 footer but if you're relatively short like me, even with the seat back as far as I can get it and still reach things, it does get in the way. But in all other respects the AT gives me what I wanted, a bit of height, a decent amount of space and enough performance from the 220i coupled with the 8 speed auto to keep me happy. The larger info screen and the HUD was something of an indulgence but I find them brilliant. The sunroof was also an indulgence but one I am very happy I chose as it makes the interior a much nicer place to be.
you should by a convertible or a peddle car lol.
2016 BMW 225xe M Sport Mineral White
2015 BMW 220i M Sport Convertible Black Sapphire

psquared

Post by psquared » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:30 am

Kiwi wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:03 am
psquared wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:09 pm
you should by a convertible or a peddle car lol.
Very droll. I would like to BUY a convertible but hardly do enough miles to justify one car let alone two. And there is no convertible I know that would cope with what I get in the AT when fully loaded. As for a PEDAL car I will pass on that form of green transport. And while you may not have noticed the visibility issues caused by the poor design of the driver's door frame, it has been commented on in a number of reviews.
2016 220i Sport auto F45 with Navplus, Comfort and Technology packs, Pano sunroof, Driving Assist and electric folding mirrors. Alpine white and standard wheels cause I preferred to spend on what I could see and use.

Return to “F45, F46 (2014 - tbd)”