225xe Roof Rails - not standard equipment!!

Find out more about the BMW 2 Series F45 & F46
The BMW 2 Series Active Tourer F45 (2014-)
The BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer F46 (2015-)

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

RedlineDrifter
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: 225xe Roof Rails - not standard equipment!!

Post by RedlineDrifter » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:08 am

MarkySpark wrote:I suppose it depends how tightly you tighten the straps, how heavy the bikes are, potential shocks from bumps/damage in the road etc.
More than likely. If you are a bit ham fisted for sure you run the risk of causing damage (even if using factory fitted kit).
Salesmen (& women) will only be thinkin about how to avoid you returning as a disgruntled customer, so will forever air on the side of caution. Plus I’m sure they have a nice mark up on OE aftermarket stuff.
After a year of real life use, and about 4-5k miles across Europe with my Saris rack carrying two specialized mountain bikes, I can honestly say that the plastic spoiler remains unmarked and appears to be more than strong enough for the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
F21 M135I LCI

- "Sideways is the way forwards"

225xeBikeMan

Post by 225xeBikeMan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:20 am

Thanks for the replies. It fits the car so I just need to know whether it will be safe. I’ve emailed Saris to see if they can advise anything.

sid_james

Post by sid_james » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:28 pm

annoyingly I missed out on the roof bars too. "don't they all come with that?"

I've has a 520 tourer for the last five years!

Tom-Con

Post by Tom-Con » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:56 pm

RedlineDrifter wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 4:04 pm
I requested a quote from the dealer to retrofit which came out at an eye watering £1000!

Wow, £1k seems insane! I've just bought a 2014 Active Tourer, and would love to retro fit some roof rails. Anyone else either had this done or quoted for the work? There is a body coloured strip along the line of the roof rails, and I had assumed (hoped) it would be a case of removing this and bolting on the rails...

Babaa
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Babaa » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:30 pm

Hi Tom-Con,

Yep - was in the same boat and didn't want to spend £1,000 to use the actual rail / channel areas, but ended up when getting a Thule roof rack / roof box from Halfords, finding out that for about £40 more there is a set of fixing brackets that just clamp down under the lip where the top of the door seal goes, and work ok.

Admittedly it was a bit of time with the guys there not wanting to over tighten and possibly damage the door surround skin, but still tightening a bit at a time to make sure it is on solidly, but with it in place, has been totally problem free.

I suppose the one downside is that when we don't use the actual roof box, I can't be bothered to take the roof rails off having seen how long they took to measure exactly how far apart they should be & carefully tighten them, but we got aero designed ones which don't seem to add any noise at all on motorways, and although I guess maybe they might impact mpg a little, it most gets use to do 1-2 miles at a time around 30mph areas, so all works well for what we need.

Cheers -- Babaa
2018 m140i SE
2015 220i Active Tourer
2013 m135i (now gone)

Return to “F45, F46 (2014 - tbd)”