eLliE - 130i

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Nik_nak
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: eLliE - 130i

Post by Nik_nak » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:21 am

Wow looks stunning, do you not have some general overall pics you could put up to show the before.

ChesterUK
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ChesterUK » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:26 am

Thanks. I don't have any general pics before the detail no.

It rained last night, the beading looks really tight. I think it's meant to rain more later so I'll take a shot of that. Looks good!
Chester
For sale: Carbon black E81 130i M-Sport Limited Edition
Gone: LeMans blue E81 123d M-Sport Auto

ChesterUK
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ChesterUK » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:39 am

Evil recent mileage:

Fishing fishing Bimmian, fishing thing! One of the corona ring LEDs decided to retire. Didn't last long! I'll be totally honest and say I'm not sure if they were a good thing because now Summer is supposedly here, you really can't make out the outer ring's glowing at all, even in the brighter DRL mode. Crouch directly looking at them in the shade and you'll see it. So I bought some H8 lamps from a local shop (BMW wanted >£29! Each!) and put it back to standard. They look very yellow in comparison of course but should be reliable, and you can see them no matter what the ambient light level.

No further immediate plans for the car as it's all about the house at the moment, but the wish list is growing. :lol:
Chester

krismc
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by krismc » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:10 pm

Just had a read through your whole thread.

I see you missed the heated seats.

This is something I always order when buying new

Well we just got an lci convertible as a 2nd toy car to enjoy on sunny days. It's a September 2008 and it wasn't advertised as having heated seats, nor did I think it had them as the switches weren't in the dash area,

as I opened the door to drive off in the new purchase I noticed a small switch next to the lumbar controls at the side of the chairs,

Flicked the switch....... Yes heated seats! Really hot in the max setting too!

Until last week I assumed it was factory fitted! Just because they worked so well.

Until I browsed eBay and recognised the switch my seats use to beat up! Someone at some point retro fitted the heated seats. And looking at the cost seems very very cheap and worthwhile! Would probably take you an afternoon tops.
Here's the sort of kit:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... ID=EBAY-GB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ChesterUK
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ChesterUK » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:42 pm

Didn't miss the seats at all dude; the LE comes as one configuration alone including the colour, and you can't add a thing. It's on the agenda to do for next winter along with another guy on here, but the objective is to have it OEM, and that's not easy.
Chester

davegt
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by davegt » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:58 pm

Like the idea of fitting OEM heated seat elements, have you got the list of bits required?
Daily hack: 2016 F31 320d Ed.
Weekend: 2008 E88 125i M sport
+ 2008 Grand Scenic dog carrier

bambam

Post by bambam » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:31 am

Would be great to see some photos of it post detail. Bet it looks like new.

ChesterUK
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ChesterUK » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:28 pm

davegt wrote:Like the idea of fitting OEM heated seat elements, have you got the list of bits required?
0l0dom0l0 is the superstar, selling his car, previously had come up with a not entirely complete parts list in this very thread. When we get to mid Autumn, possibly a bit further in, I'll be ready to pursue this. No harm in doing some preparation/planning in the mean time. It's not cheap, but finding memory heated seats in lemon leather is going to be, diff... scratch that, nigh on bloody impossible. Still up for it?!
Chester

ChesterUK
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ChesterUK » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:35 pm

bambam wrote:Would be great to see some photos of it post detail. Bet it looks like new.
She looks good for sure, but not new; a damn sight better than before though. You see other imperfections become much more noticeable because there's less to avert your gaze. Now you notice everything! Dust, rain spots, there's nothing to distract. The main thing is the desired effect was achieved and I'm still gobsmacked sometimes when I remind myself that she's 7 3/4 years old. I regularly see 13/14 plate cars looking twice eLliE's age!
Chester

ChesterUK
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ChesterUK » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:20 am

Recent reflection shot:

Chester

Radicalry00
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Radicalry00 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:30 pm

Looking great! I need those seats in mine!! 8)

0l0dom0l0
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by 0l0dom0l0 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:13 pm

davegt wrote:Like the idea of fitting OEM heated seat elements, have you got the list of bits required?
If you scooch back in this thread you might find the parts I listed.

Basically you need a dash switch with heated seats and the parking sensor in it (which I've managed to source).

You need elements for both seats which equates to about £180 per seat for OEM heating elements IIRC directly from Cotswold.

Then you need two new underseat modules which match the options on the car + the heated seats. (I was meant to be keeping an eye out for some second hand ones of these).

Fitting is simple, as we have electric seats in the LE, the loom is already in place. It's literally just a case of fitting the elements in the seats, connecting the wires up and then coding the heated seats to the car. I guess out of all that fitting the elements would be the hardest thing to do.

All in with brand new elements and doing the work yourself you're looking at no less than £500 for the retrofit, which in the grand scheme of things, isn't really too bad considering.

I'd almost go as far as to say that you'd get half the money back when you came to sell the car.
2007 130i LE - BMWP Exhaust, Strut Brace, Air Filter, Short Shift kit and Handbrake.
B12 KIT with M3 LCA and TS.
Plus Cruise Control, Digital Speedo, CDV Delete, Camber Pin Mod, OEM LED Numberplate Lights, Brighter Non-dimming OEM Angel Eyes.

ChesterUK
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ChesterUK » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:44 pm

Hi all! Wow, it's been some time since I updated this thread. I need an ar53 gear!

There's not really much to report because she's been an absolute gem. I recently dropped her off for an oil service after only 15'000 since the last one; keeps it fresh. I also got gearbox and differential oil replaced whilst at it, and an air-con service. Apparently the pressure was about 2/3rds of what it should be and I suspect it had never been serviced before so not bad. They were certainly impressed at Elite.

So today, day off, a few jobs on, one of which is to swap out the battery as I know from last winter she was getting difficult to crank in sub zero temperatures, there's no way that I wanted that problem. So I thought I'd go for the second battery technique. I didn't do something quite right because as soon as I removed the negative terminal, the car lost power. Chiz! Never mind, pressed on and got the Bosch S5 loaded. Everything seemed to spring to life as soon as the new battery was in, set the clock, she started just fine so switched off and went to finish clamping down and tightening up. Except there's one small problem. The negative won't get quite tight enough. I thought the S5 would have had the right terminal diameter but obviously there's a slight difference somewhere. Does anyone know if there's a sleeve or something for battery terminals to correct this? Obviously it needs to be tight, don't want it jumping off over a bump of something.

Final thoughts are it's soon going to be time to get the winter wheels on. I was hoping to have some spare cash to get the heated seats done, but the house is proving to be a cash vacuum, and there truly is a lot of month at the end of the money at the moment! A cold pair of buns it is then.
Chester

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:51 pm

IIRC there are no terminal sleeves available. Majority of the replacement batteries (other than car audio specific batteries, I.e. Stinger, XS Power, Hollywood, etc.) have the same style/size battery posts.

0l0dom0l0

Post by 0l0dom0l0 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:53 pm

Sounds good. Which battery did you go for? Mine was pretty ropey last year and is slow cranking so I'm expecting it to die on me this year. Spent ages looking but didn't really did anything that matched the oem specs very well.
2007 130i LE - BMWP Exhaust, Strut Brace, Air Filter, Short Shift kit and Handbrake.
B12 KIT with M3 LCA and TS.
Plus Cruise Control, Digital Speedo, CDV Delete, Camber Pin Mod, OEM LED Numberplate Lights, Brighter Non-dimming OEM Angel Eyes.

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”