Battery not charging warning

Got a problem with your BMW 1 Series? Post your car problems here and seek advice from fellow car owners.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, Producethis, marco_polo, Lambster, Rich196

jj.luff

Battery not charging warning

Post by jj.luff »

Hello,

Wondering if someone can help?

Recently I have been driving and all of a sudden a warning error comes on my I drive saying "battery not charging" and to take it to a BMW service centre. Anyone had this problem/issue?

It's only started to happen in the past week, however it does not come up on every journey?

I have a 1 series f20 116i 2012.
Nottsknots
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Battery not charging warning

Post by Nottsknots »

jj.luff wrote:Hello,

Wondering if someone can help?

Recently I have been driving and all of a sudden a warning error comes on my I drive saying "battery not charging" and to take it to a BMW service centre. Anyone had this problem/issue?

It's only started to happen in the past week, however it does not come up on every journey?

I have a 1 series f20 116i 2012.
First off, take a look at the alternator, and the belt that drives it. Is the belt turning it at all? If its intermittent, it might just be a loose/worn belt. If its turning freely, then it may be a failed alternator; there have been a few on here, but shouldnt die at 4 years old. Maybe just the battery itself is on the way out - is it the original? They tend to come with 3,4 or 5 year guarantees, 'cos thats their expected life.

Might also be worth checking the battery voltage whilst the engine is running. I'm not sure if the hidden menus still work on F-series cars - hopefully someone will confirm for you. Voltage should be well over 14 with the engine running, to charge the battery.
howtos/how_to-_access_the_hidden_obc_functions.pdf
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Gone (East), but apparently not forgotten.
jj.luff

Post by jj.luff »

jj.luff

Post by jj.luff »

The alternator looks to be turning okay in the engine bay when it's turned on by the looks of it. I will need to get the battery checked.

I'm not sure if it's the original battery how can I tell?
Nottsknots

Post by Nottsknots »

jj.luff wrote:The alternator looks to be turning okay in the engine bay when it's turned on by the looks of it. I will need to get the battery checked.

I'm not sure if it's the original battery how can I tell?
Thats a step forward :) . Still might be a faulty alternator, battery, or connection.

How long have you had the car, and have you ever changed the battery? Theres no other easy way to tell.

Measure the voltage across the battery after the engine has been off for a few hours - should be pushing out 12.7 v. Nearer 12 is poorly, anything below 12 is dead. Do not measure just after switching the engine off, as the residual charge will give you a false measurement. That said, if its not been charging, it may be getting discharged anyway.

Have a look at the connections to the battery itself; are they tight, or showing any signs of corrosion? Earths are prone to corrosion sometimes (but 4 years is still a bit early unless its been parked in a swimming pool). Either loose or corroded may make it tricky to charge :( . If needed, clean, grease and tighten the bolts/screws to the terminals (I'm not sure how they're fixed in the F's).

If the connections are OK, then its probably the alternator. Only way to be sure is to measure the voltage across it when running (be careful of moving engine parts). For a quick check, you can just measure the voltage across the battery; if thats not over 14 1/2 volts, then either the alternator is not working or the wiring between alternator and battery isnt working. You can rule out wiring by going straight off the alternator itself, but its not as easy to get to as the battery terminals.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

jj.luff

Post by jj.luff »

These are now appearing without the engine on, I've checked the wires and all seems okay and so do the connections, as the battery is in the boot there is no damp etc

Octavius

Post by Octavius »

Looks like a failing battery to me.
Nottsknots

Post by Nottsknots »

Battery is probably inly failing because its not charging. I cant think of any other easy fixes, so it looks like the alternator has gone. Without actually measuing the voltage, its impossible to tell. If you dont charge that battery, then it wont start fairly soon.

A1SHx
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by A1SHx »

Same thing happened to me, new battery was fitted few months back.

Took it to a garage and the actual 'Pulley' had came off. Might be worth a check
BMW 1 Series Coupe 123D M Sport | Follow my mod journey on insta E82_Aish

BMW 1 Series Hatch 120D - 137,000 miles - RIP :|
Ak_f20

Post by Ak_f20 »

I have got a f20 2017 116D. Out of nowhere a sign came up “battery not being charged” and couple minutes after number of faulty lights came up and the car stopped and didn’t turn on after. Just wondering if it’s the alternator issue or the belt around it. Doubt it would be the alternator itself as the car is only 4 years old itself.

Anyone help?
stevesurrey

Post by stevesurrey »

What were the other warning lights about? Overheating perhaps?
Anyhow definitely start by looking at the auxiliary belt.
E81 120D (N47) SE+Dynamic Package, 2007/57, M Sports Suspension, Montego Blue, Pro HU+HiFi Speakers & Dipstick

Return to “BMW Problems”