Baby BMW Forum banner

Michelin Pilot Sport 4

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  sootyvrs 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Just fitted MPS4, in bog standard 18" sizes on the 140i.
They are nice.

I swapped the standard MPSS for Goodyear Asym 3 to get greater refinemnet, and was very happy with that swap.

Now gone from the Asym 3 to the MPS4 and I think this is a step up.
To me, they seem to have a slightly firmer feel, and pass a touch more vibration to the chassis than the asym3, but they are just as quiet and refined. And they feel much more 'direct' than the Asym 3.
Happy camper, highly recommended, even if they are not exactly cheap.

I was about £560 all fitted, which compares to around £450 ish for Goodyears, and then there are money back offers on them if you search. Makes the MPSS a bit redundant, and over priced.

#5 ·
marco_polo said:
Michelin Pilot Cup 2 will be available in 245/35/18 in the spring though. :D
I know you are wsiting for these :D
Will you use them as Track tyres, or as Daily driver, or both?

I've gone mp4s as I needed to do something, but as per other thread am intending to get another set of wheels with track day only tyres (road legal ones for the drive to and from, but not daily drivers).

#6 ·
Quick upate, still loving the mps4, but just noted that fuel consumption is now running at 29.1 on my daily grind, where as on Asym3 this was 31.6 according to the onboard computer. That's almost a 10% change.

#7 ·
Take into account it is getting colder now so mpg will drop in winter

Is this the 3rd set of tyres you have had since June (looking at your joining date)?

What mileage are you doing or do you just like swapping tyres? :lol2:

#8 ·
sootyvrs said:

Is this the 3rd set of tyres you have had since June (looking at your joining date)?

Have to say I was wondering the same thing. OP must be doing some serious mileage..

#9 ·
CJ92 said:
sootyvrs said:

Have to say I was wondering the same thing. OP must be doing some serious mileage..
Yes, lapping the world 😂

I started on mpss as stock. Hated them due to noise and harshness, but knew this from the test drive in the demo, so already intended swapping out to asym3 before getting the car. So about 500 miles into ownership the mpss came off and got sold on here and the Goodyears went on. All was good until I went to the track in eary November, and they fell apart, well one front did, so at lunchtime went to the local Merit tyre (after phoning round) and got a pair of mps4 fitted to the front, that was all I could get locally with an hours notice. Then the backs went the same way, so got them changed as well a few days later.

I have actually sent the Goodyears back as I dont think they should fall apart, heavy wear yes, tread fall off, no. They were obviously worked on track, but only for maybe 8 or 9 miles at a time, then cooled off. And in only three sessions (so about 25 miles hard usage spread over around 90 minutes) one tyre went south. I explained the circumstances and usage to them before the tyres were returned, so will not be happy with a "you went to the track, what do you expect?" type response. I'll let them review and respond before I post pictures, or get into a debate about this on here.

So yes, pretty spectacular, on my third set of tyres in 5000 miles. Reminds me of my biking days.

I've also got another set of wheels with snow tyres, bit of an impulse buy, that will go on in a week or two. Don't think I need them as the mps4 have been fine on a couple of cold mornings recently (last car had pzero rft, and if it was chilly they were useless, and scary, so I got the winters in anticipation of that this year).

And I am in the market for a set of track tyres (lesson learned :lol2: ) so toying with Yoko AD80R or Toyo 888r.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.