Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

kas206
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: My Suspension quest! 130i

Post by kas206 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:56 pm

THETYRANT wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:50 pm
Haha yes too many choices my apologies for that :lol: , just drive it for awhile longer and see how it goes, if you want to upgrade further then to me i would do dampers and firmer springs as that the basics covered, if still more stiffness is needed the front ARB maybe but you need to ask how far you want to go as maybe coilovers from outset are going be better option longterm if you like it really stiff, but as you know ive tried a few and getting comfort and half decent handling is tricky!
Yeah. Ill see how I get on with the way the car is at the moment and change whatever is needed in the month or so. Thanks again
2008 BMW 135i - M3 Control arms, Whitelines 2 piece SFB, Koni sports shocks. BMW performance carbon boot spoiler, DEPO V1, Darlines, NBT retrofit. BMW Performance gear knob & handbrake.

M3 front anti roll bar coming soon!

AndyBish135i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by AndyBish135i » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:17 pm

Ian/kas,
Would fitting the E88 Pro kit not be an acceptable compromise at circa 7mm drop from std Msport (according to my man maths)???
Bish

THETYRANT
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by THETYRANT » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:19 pm

AndyBish135i wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:17 pm
Ian/kas,
Would fitting the E88 Pro kit not be an acceptable compromise at circa 7mm drop from std Msport (according to my man maths)???
Bish
Possibly yes, but like ive found out the only way to know for sure is try it as the figures quoted by spring makers are often..... not quite accurate should we say :)
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

kas206
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by kas206 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:41 pm

THETYRANT wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:00 pm
kas206 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:47 pm
THETYRANT wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:18 pm
No worries, what about M3 Antiroll bar upgrades ? i liked the way the M3 front bar felt on my last 130i and may go same again this time if i find one at right money, i found it just sharpened things up a notch and reduced the roll a little, nice way of improving things without altering ride quality too much.
Front or rear one? Did a quick search and doesn't seem like they're are much on sale on eBay.
Front only as M3 rear is too strong without lots of other mods like LSD etc, there a couple of different M3 ones see below copied from https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-tech ... -sway-bars

E90/E92 M3 part# 31352283515 @ 26.5mm/Hollow
E93 M3 part# 31352283965 @ 28.0-24.0mm Hollow

They do come up 2nd hand but quickly snapped up these days, I think I paid £50 for my first one but usually £100+now with brackets etc unless getting lucky, another option is the Whiteline 27mm one which is well priced new even from Demon Thieves https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performa ... -front-bar and probably cheaper elsewhere like Clark Motorsport etc -

Took the car for a longer drive and I don't think I'm going to get use to the excess body roll. I don't have confidence driving the car anymore. It feels quite unstable round the bends. So I think I'll go with the anti roll bar upgrade. Would fitting the front only be enough to get rid of the roll? How much of a difference is the white line compared to the E93 M3? They both seem be to be the same thickness @ 27mm. The E93 is a rare item so I'll go with the whiteline one if there's not much difference in them in terms of performance.
2008 BMW 135i - M3 Control arms, Whitelines 2 piece SFB, Koni sports shocks. BMW performance carbon boot spoiler, DEPO V1, Darlines, NBT retrofit. BMW Performance gear knob & handbrake.

kas206
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by kas206 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:42 pm

kas206 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:41 pm
THETYRANT wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:00 pm
kas206 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:47 pm

Front or rear one? Did a quick search and doesn't seem like they're are much on sale on eBay.
Front only as M3 rear is too strong without lots of other mods like LSD etc, there a couple of different M3 ones see below copied from https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-tech ... -sway-bars

E90/E92 M3 part# 31352283515 @ 26.5mm/Hollow
E93 M3 part# 31352283965 @ 28.0-24.0mm Hollow

They do come up 2nd hand but quickly snapped up these days, I think I paid £50 for my first one but usually £100+now with brackets etc unless getting lucky, another option is the Whiteline 27mm one which is well priced new even from Demon Thieves https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performa ... -front-bar and probably cheaper elsewhere like Clark Motorsport etc -

Took the car for a longer drive and I don't think I'm going to get use to the excess body roll. I don't have confidence driving the car anymore. It feels quite unstable round the bends. So I think I'll go with the anti roll bar upgrade. Would fitting the front only be enough to get rid of the roll? How much of a difference is the white line compared to the E93 M3? They both seem be about the same thickness @ 27mm. The E93 is a rare item so I'll go with the whiteline one if there's not much difference in them in terms of performance.

Poormans
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Poormans » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:35 pm

M arb's are hollow, so lighter and incomparable with other brands by size only.
shooting brake

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:07 pm

kas206 wrote:

Took the car for a longer drive and I don't think I'm going to get use to the excess body roll. I don't have confidence driving the car anymore. It feels quite unstable round the bends. So I think I'll go with the anti roll bar upgrade. Would fitting the front only be enough to get rid of the roll? How much of a difference is the white line compared to the E93 M3? They both seem be to be the same thickness @ 27mm. The E93 is a rare item so I'll go with the whiteline one if there's not much difference in them in terms of performance.

Strange as ive done the same mod on both a 130i and a 135i and never found it an issue just improved ride quality, sure there is a little more dip at the rear as you power out of bends but this only helps with traction I found and didn't feel it made car roll more as such, the 135i is affected more by fitting shorter bumpstops though due to its weaker coil springs but I never felt it made car handle poorly on mine, I guess it depends how hard your pushing on the road but I didn't have and issue in my 135i when first mod was just shorter rear bumpstops before I went to Ohlins.

To my mind fitting the ARB is probably not best answer at this point but front is a good mod overall, to fix the issue you have now you need to help prop the car up more to compensate for lack of additional spring rate from bumpstops, fitting stiffer rear springs would be my first choice which in your case either Eibachs or BMWP ones, the BMWP ones are firmer for stiffer handling if that's what you want.

ARB wise fitting front helps reduce front roll and improve turn in on but uprating rear which while again will helps reduce roll however without an LSD you will get traction issues as it lifts a wheel, do springs first is my advice, or refit the stock bumpstops and put up with pogo from rear when it gets bumpy.

Its always a compromise somewhere then changing things its just a case of finding the best option for your driving, I like a softer more compliant setup as long as it retains the sporty feel and body control is good, on my car now with just shorter rear bumpstops and my camber plates giving -1.7deg at front I find handling very good and comfort not bad either, look forward to getting Koni dampers on though.

Ian
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

kas206
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by kas206 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:40 pm

THETYRANT wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:07 pm
kas206 wrote:

Strange as ive done the same mod on both a 130i and a 135i and never found it an issue just improved ride quality, sure there is a little more dip at the rear as you power out of bends but this only helps with traction I found and didn't feel it made car roll more as such, the 135i is affected more by fitting shorter bumpstops though due to its weaker coil springs but I never felt it made car handle poorly on mine, I guess it depends how hard your pushing on the road but I didn't have and issue in my 135i when first mod was just shorter rear bumpstops before I went to Ohlins.

To my mind fitting the ARB is probably not best answer at this point but front is a good mod overall, to fix the issue you have now you need to help prop the car up more to compensate for lack of additional spring rate from bumpstops, fitting stiffer rear springs would be my first choice which in your case either Eibachs or BMWP ones, the BMWP ones are firmer for stiffer handling if that's what you want.

ARB wise fitting front helps reduce front roll and improve turn in on but uprating rear which while again will helps reduce roll however without an LSD you will get traction issues as it lifts a wheel, do springs first is my advice, or refit the stock bumpstops and put up with pogo from rear when it gets bumpy.

Its always a compromise somewhere then changing things its just a case of finding the best option for your driving, I like a softer more compliant setup as long as it retains the sporty feel and body control is good, on my car now with just shorter rear bumpstops and my camber plates giving -1.7deg at front I find handling very good and comfort not bad either, look forward to getting Koni dampers on though.

Ian
Yes, the dip is definitely there and thats what bothers me. I miss is the firmness around bends. It kind of feels a bit sloppy. Seems like the excess roll is caused my the shocks travelling more when going round bends whereas before the shocks were sitting on the bumpstops causing less body roll. Not sure if this has anything to do with alignment as it seems bit off and it's dues one. I guess I'll go with the the bmw performance stiffer rear springs first and see how that goes and fit the anti roll bar later on.

Any idea of the part number please?

Poormans
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Poormans » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:21 pm

Front e93 m3 arb = 31 35 2 283 965
shooting brake

kas206
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by kas206 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:51 pm

Poormans wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:21 pm
Front e93 m3 arb = 31 35 2 283 965
For the rear performance springs if you have it please. I'm going got leave the ARB for now.

Poormans
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Poormans » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:10 pm

No idea about that one..
shooting brake

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:11 pm

I've got it at work will pop it up tomorrow, there are a few options.
--

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:55 am

kas206 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:40 pm

Yes, the dip is definitely there and thats what bothers me. I miss is the firmness around bends. It kind of feels a bit sloppy. Seems like the excess roll is caused my the shocks travelling more when going round bends whereas before the shocks were sitting on the bumpstops causing less body roll. Not sure if this has anything to do with alignment as it seems bit off and it's dues one. I guess I'll go with the the bmw performance stiffer rear springs first and see how that goes and fit the anti roll bar later on.

Ok ive done a lot of searching on the BMWP springs for 135i and seen many different part numbers just for that car!...i believe slight variations depending on what spec car was from factory which to me seems a bit over top, im sure weight of a base spec car and fully loaded is not that different! Im sure ive seen about 6 options just on 135i BMWP springs!

Anyhows below are info i found from someone in USA who has actually bought and measured 2 of most common options BMW supply for 135i, i know you only asked for rears but ive put both front and rear for anyone else searching for this, if it was me i would go for higher spring rate version of below as think these cars need at least 400lb coil spring in rear(Eibach Pro spring is approx 415lb) also both these BMWP rears are 310mm long so these will sit higher than Eibach prokit springs and probably end up closer to stock Msport.

If you want to send your vin number to Cotswolds they can tell you what BMW recommends for your car if in doubt, below is for reference only.

BMW Performance FRONT Coil Spring - 31336788892 (Label T2 - Estimated rate = 146lb/in)
BMW Performance FRONT Coil Spring - 31336788893 (Label T3 - Estimated rate = 160lb/in)

BMW Performance REAR Coil Spring - 33536788898 (Label T1 - Estimated rate = 390lb/in & 310mm length)
BMW Performance REAR Coil Spring - 33536788899 (Label T2 - Estimated rate = 420lb/in & 310mm length)

Ian
--

kas206
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by kas206 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:44 am

THETYRANT wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:55 am
kas206 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:40 pm

Ok ive done a lot of searching on the BMWP springs for 135i and seen many different part numbers just for that car!...i believe slight variations depending on what spec car was from factory which to me seems a bit over top, im sure weight of a base spec car and fully loaded is not that different! Im sure ive seen about 6 options just on 135i BMWP springs!

Anyhows below are info i found from someone in USA who has actually bought and measured 2 of most common options BMW supply for 135i, i know you only asked for rears but ive put both front and rear for anyone else searching for this, if it was me i would go for higher spring rate version of below as think these cars need at least 400lb coil spring in rear(Eibach Pro spring is approx 415lb) also both these BMWP rears are 310mm long so these will sit higher than Eibach prokit springs and probably end up closer to stock Msport.

If you want to send your vin number to Cotswolds they can tell you what BMW recommends for your car if in doubt, below is for reference only.

BMW Performance FRONT Coil Spring - 31336788892 (Label T2 - Estimated rate = 146lb/in)
BMW Performance FRONT Coil Spring - 31336788893 (Label T3 - Estimated rate = 160lb/in)

BMW Performance REAR Coil Spring - 33536788898 (Label T1 - Estimated rate = 390lb/in & 310mm length)
BMW Performance REAR Coil Spring - 33536788899 (Label T2 - Estimated rate = 420lb/in & 310mm length)

Ian
6 variations? BMW going about OTT lol.

So would it be best to go with the 420lb/in T2 version then? I'll send a message to Cotswolds and see what they say.

Thanks

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:06 pm

kas206 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:44 am
6 variations? BMW going about OTT lol.

So would it be best to go with the 420lb/in T2 version then? I'll send a message to Cotswolds and see what they say.

Thanks
Haha yes at least 6 from what ive seen possibly more!.... i would and most likely will go myself with T2 rears and also for me the firmer T3 fronts as well.

Will be interesting to see what bmw give for your car, i imagine it will be the softer ones as it does seem more common from what ive seen.
--

Return to “Aftermarket modifications”