Business Nav, Android and Spotify?

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

shaunkerslake

Business Nav, Android and Spotify?

Post by shaunkerslake » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:58 pm

So after some advice, this may have been asked before so apologies if that’s the case?

I have an M140i, currently using an iPhone which I can happily use Spotify on the car no worries. Am looking at upgrading to the new google pixel 2 and wondered if anybody had any experience in using this phone with the car, and specifically, for you can still use Spotify from the car controls?

Hope this makes sense, any help appreciated

Thanks
Shaun

.Griff.
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Business Nav, Android and Spotify?

Post by .Griff. » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:09 pm

Android user here.

Spotify works fine for me. Can scroll through songs on steering wheels and search playlists/artists etc using the controller wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw8AmxZhPr4
Gone - 135i M Sport DCT, Just picked up - SO M140i Shadow Edition 8ZF MPE

shaunkerslake

Post by shaunkerslake » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:27 pm

.Griff. wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:09 pm
Android user here.

Spotify works fine for me. Can scroll through songs on steering wheels and search playlists/artists etc using the controller wheel.

Thanks very much kind sir! All the answers I need. Bye bye iPhone.

Many thanks

shaunkerslake

Post by shaunkerslake » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:31 pm

.Griff. wrote:
Android user here.

Also nice to see someone with the aluminium hex / blue finisher on the dash like myself! Thanks again

BMWNeil
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by BMWNeil » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:35 pm

I can never get it to work properly, I've uninstalled Spotify and the Connected app, still doesn't appear underneath the media options :cry:
Current : 16' M135i Manual in EB, Spings/Spacers, M4 LCA, JB4, MPE, MTC Intercooler & DECAT & BMS Meth!! :spotman:

Past - Astra VXR Stage 4.5, Fiesta ST500 and Clio (Rush :roll: )

.Griff.
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by .Griff. » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:45 pm

shaunkerslake wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:31 pm
.Griff. wrote:
Android user here.

Also nice to see someone with the aluminium hex / blue finisher on the dash like myself! Thanks again
You're welcome!
Gone - 135i M Sport DCT, Just picked up - SO M140i Shadow Edition 8ZF MPE

rustyk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by rustyk » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:01 pm

With my S6 spotify works but the GUI is limited. You can use the car controls but you can't search, you can only browse or access your library, recently played, radio etc.
Also, it seems the app is buggy. If you read around there are thread here in various places and on Spotify support, about the app crashing and/or spotify disappearing from the Idrive.
I've had the same problem with it just randomly stopping, the play bar jerking around and the spotity option completely disappearing from the idrive.

In no particular order, the following fixes/workaround seem to apply.

1. In manage mobile devices, untick and tick the 'apps' option. Make sure the connected drive app is responding.
Note: Often is seems that the app crashing on the phone is the culprit.

2. Close and restart the connected drive app. Make sure it's not at the 'lock' screen' with the skip option.

3. Close all apps and restart. Try option 1.

Spotify blame BMW. BMW blame Android etc. etc. I think other users have had better experiences with older devices. In particular, Android 7 seems to have issues with bluetooth from reading around.

TLDR - It works and it's great but be prepared for some frustrations.

chesterflaps
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by chesterflaps » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:41 pm

rustyk wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:01 pm
With my S6 spotify works but the GUI is limited. You can use the car controls but you can't search, you can only browse or access your library, recently played, radio etc.
Also, it seems the app is buggy. If you read around there are thread here in various places and on Spotify support, about the app crashing and/or spotify disappearing from the Idrive.
I've had the same problem with it just randomly stopping, the play bar jerking around and the spotity option completely disappearing from the idrive.

In no particular order, the following fixes/workaround seem to apply.

1. In manage mobile devices, untick and tick the 'apps' option. Make sure the connected drive app is responding.
Note: Often is seems that the app crashing on the phone is the culprit.

2. Close and restart the connected drive app. Make sure it's not at the 'lock' screen' with the skip option.

3. Close all apps and restart. Try option 1.

Spotify blame BMW. BMW blame Android etc. etc. I think other users have had better experiences with older devices. In particular, Android 7 seems to have issues with bluetooth from reading around.

TLDR - It works and it's great but be prepared for some frustrations.
All fixes you listed aren’t specific to Android. I have an iPhone and have to do all the same things every now and then. Sometimes it’s fine for a few days and then suddenly I have to disconnect/reconnect, untick and re-tick. It’s the worst UI I’ve ever experienced. It’s like BMW employed a 70 year old who thinks he knows how technology should work, to create the (dis)connected software.

I regularly have to close the connected app and restart it to get it to show in the connected drive section on the idrive. It seems you have to be moving for it to register too.

It’s all painfully bad.

rustyk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by rustyk » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:41 am

chesterflaps wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:41 pm
rustyk wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:01 pm
All fixes you listed aren’t specific to Android. I have an iPhone and have to do all the same things every now and then. Sometimes it’s fine for a few days and then suddenly I have to disconnect/reconnect, untick and re-tick. It’s the worst UI I’ve ever experienced. It’s like BMW employed a 70 year old who thinks he knows how technology should work, to create the (dis)connected software.

I regularly have to close the connected app and restart it to get it to show in the connected drive section on the idrive. It seems you have to be moving for it to register too.

It’s all painfully bad.
That's really interesting to hear, I assumed it was just Android, to the point I'd asked someone if I could borrow an old iPhone just to work around the issues.

I've not had the 'moving' issues, but there is sometimes a delay before Spotify even appears in the options. Normally I get back in to the car and it just starts playing from Spotify where it left off, as if to taunt you that it can be that seamless when it's in the mood.

Originally I thought it was something to do with signal, either on the phone or the built in sim card in the car, but it's definitely not that simple.

The last time it just cut out without warning I think it was because my phone was down to 25% charge at which point I normally get a pop up on the phone, which leads me to believe it's driven by an interrupt mechanism on the phone operating system.. Who knows, it is great when it works, which is most of the time but like you say, in this day and age it's a PITA.

Pep675cc
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Pep675cc » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:32 am

Griff has pro nav so works different to business nav. I can only get mine to work via Bluetooth on business nav as the app doesn't show on my media screen. Pretty pants really for a 2017 car.
M140i Melbourne Red, driver comfort pack, heated seats, PDC rear, sport auto box,Harmon Kardon Hi-Fi, black kidney grills, black mirrors, black fins
420d Msport convertible with all the goodies for those sunny days 8)

Thrash
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Thrash » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:05 pm

Pep675cc wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:32 am
Griff has pro nav so works different to business nav. I can only get mine to work via Bluetooth on business nav as the app doesn't show on my media screen. Pretty pants really for a 2017 car.
Are you using an Android device? If so, I can't help as I don't know if it's different. But for iPhone on Business Nav. it needs to be connected via the USB cable and have the Spotify app installed through ConnectedDrive. The Spotify app on ConnectedDrive doesn't seem to show until you've opened Spotify on your phone, then after a few seconds you get a full screen notice on your phone saying do not use when driving, etc. etc. and then the app should show under ConnectedDrive.

Even on iPhone it is pretty buggy but all I usually needed to do is disconnect from the USB and close and re-open the app, which is fine and doesn't take long, except when you're driving!
2018 Mercedes-Benz C200 AMG Line Coupe Polar White
2017 BMW M140i Alpine White, Coral leather - 5 door, sports automatic, driver comfort pack, front & rear PDC, sun protection pack, heated front seats - gone!

Mkj

Post by Mkj » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:31 pm

I have android on lci 2 business nav using Spotify. It's works most of the time, but its quite buggy, selecting songs to play is pot luck, time bar jumps around loads too, and the app is super slow. Hope it gets updated

rustyk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by rustyk » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:05 pm

To add, a workaround for me is that even if the app 'craps out', I can still listen to it via bluetooth audio and track skipping still works.
If you're listening to a long playlist like I was today, it's pretty useful.

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”