Baby BMW Forum banner

Upgrade to LED headlights

7K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Daewar 
#1 ·
Hi.

I have a 2017 LCI2 118d sport and wish I'd paid extra for LED headlights. The halogen beams are horrendous!

Does anyone know if it's possible, easy and cheap to upgrade to LED? I've seen there are LED bulbs available but not sure if they're worth changing to.

Does anyone have any experience of just changing halogen bulbs to LED?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Upgrading to the 'proper' LED headlights and LED coronas isn't cheap and probably not worth the hassle.

Correct me if i am wrong but there are a number of sensors that change the pitch of the headlight etc.

Sure I read somewhere someone had done an older e92 with genuine parts and it was in excess of £2500 to retrofit.

Be cheaper to chop the car in for one already specced with LED lights I think - or swap yours to LED bulbs but live without getting the same look :/

#4 ·
I replaced the H4 bulbs in a Shogun I owned for H4 LED bulbs. I actually bought them to replace an H4 bulb in my Triumph motorcycle. At £25 for the pair it was a gamble I didn't mind taking. In the event I didn't use them in the bike so I swapped out the halogens in the Shogun. I was astonished how good they were. Every bit as good as the factory HID bulbs in the wife's Audi, and unlike fitting HID bulbs in non projector housings these didn't spray light everywhere. The only thing I would say is dont get the bulbs with mini fans. The kind to get are the ones with passive heatsinks. As for the legality I suspect they would be an MOT failure as its not a factory fit.

#5 ·
Goon said:
A lot of people with LED headlights are not happy with the angle/shape of the beam, a cheaper and easier option may be a HID upgrade.
If they are going in halogens it's a an MOT fail. If they are going in projectors not designed/made for HID's it's an MOT fail under the new rules. HID's need to go into projectors that are designed/made for HID's in order to legally pass.

#6 ·
I have to admit, I'm not a fan of the LED headlights. They have a really sharp cut off, so when you're driving along twisty roads there is no light creep around corners.
They're especially horrible when you have to dip your headlights too.

Certainly something I won't be spec'ing on a car without testing at night first!

#8 ·
M240i said:
chesterflaps said:
Hi.

I have a 2017 LCI2 118d sport and wish I'd paid extra for LED headlights. The halogen beams are horrendous!

Does anyone know if it's possible, easy and cheap to upgrade to LED? I've seen there are LED bulbs available but not sure if they're worth changing to.

Does anyone have any experience of just changing halogen bulbs to LED?

Thanks.
No economically viable, cheaper to sell yours and buy one with.
Not, rather

#9 ·
pavatotti said:
I have to admit, I'm not a fan of the LED headlights. They have a really sharp cut off, so when you're driving along twisty roads there is no light creep around corners.
They're especially horrible when you have to dip your headlights too.

Certainly something I won't be spec'ing on a car without testing at night first!
The pukka, bendy LEDs are superb. First experienced them on my son's Merc. Every new car I order will have them :)

#10 ·
In halogens cars I have had in the past, I have always swapped out the bulbs to something like a Phillips nighbreaker bulb.

More white and brighter.
Yes it's not as good as a car with xenon's or LEDs but it's better than before and won't get you pulled over for having Halfords LEDS

G
#12 ·
Philips racing vision h7s will transform the light throw and colour temperature whilst keeping you legal and above board. I do a lot of night b road driving and found them to be pretty good on the legal side of life.
Some fit diamond vision bulbs but they aren't road legal down to the colour temperature. Extremely blinding to drivers especially older drivers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.