Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Producethis, marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196

Mr.B
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

Post by Mr.B » Sun May 27, 2018 10:58 am

NISFAN wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 12:01 am
Mr.B wrote:
Independant engineers report.
That says what.....”a stone hitting a radiator hard enough will puncture it?”

Genius Image

Maybe get one for cracked windscreens next Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, a report that says the slated grill is not adequate protection to prevent stone ingress as the combined surface area of the slates in relationship to the surface area of the bumper air aperture is an inadequate percentage. This has also been unofficially acknowledged by BMW by redesigning and adding Rock Guards to new cars and offering this as a retrofit option.

dave1343
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

Post by dave1343 » Sun May 27, 2018 1:52 pm

Mr.B wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 10:45 am
This made me laugh!

BMW - “Thanks for buying a £38,000 car from us, oh and by the way, you need to pay us another £350 so it doesn’t break down”

?????????

You’ve got to be kidding me! Customers are expected to pay to fix a manufacturer design fault!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pretty much what I expressed to him in my reply.

User avatar
moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1658
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:05 pm

Re: Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

Post by moulin12 » Sun May 27, 2018 9:04 pm

Mr.B wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 10:45 am
dave1343 wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 4:06 pm
Received a reply from Richard Heath regarding having the guards retrofitted. He had this to say:

A retrofit kit is available to order from a BMW Approved centre. The cost of this at retail should be £441.22 Inc. VAT, plus fitting. But this as a kit has been reduced to £350.00 Inc. VAT, plus fitting. BMW (UK) Limited won't consider the cost of this modification.

How kind of BMW to give us a £91 reduction.
This made me laugh!

BMW - “Thanks for buying a £38,000 car from us, oh and by the way, you need to pay us another £350 so it doesn’t break down”

?????????

You’ve got to be kidding me! Customers are expected to pay to fix a manufacturer design fault!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
You can more than double that with fitting and fitting vat.
F22 M240i 8AT

User avatar
NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1624
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:46 pm
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

Post by NISFAN » Sun May 27, 2018 9:11 pm

Mr.B wrote:
NISFAN wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 12:01 am
Mr.B wrote:
Independant engineers report.
That says what.....”a stone hitting a radiator hard enough will puncture it?”

Genius Image

Maybe get one for cracked windscreens next Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, a report that says the slated grill is not adequate protection to prevent stone ingress as the combined surface area of the slates in relationship to the surface area of the bumper air aperture is an inadequate percentage. This has also been unofficially acknowledged by BMW by redesigning and adding Rock Guards to new cars and offering this as a retrofit option.
It hasn’t changed since N55. Good job you’re not a lawyer. Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto

andyh
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat May 12, 2018 4:28 pm

Re: Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

Post by andyh » Sun May 27, 2018 10:03 pm

NISFAN wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:11 pm
Mr.B wrote:
NISFAN wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 12:01 am

That says what.....”a stone hitting a radiator hard enough will puncture it?”

Genius Image

Maybe get one for cracked windscreens next Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, a report that says the slated grill is not adequate protection to prevent stone ingress as the combined surface area of the slates in relationship to the surface area of the bumper air aperture is an inadequate percentage. This has also been unofficially acknowledged by BMW by redesigning and adding Rock Guards to new cars and offering this as a retrofit option.
It hasn’t changed since N55. Good job you’re not a lawyer. Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, but the radiator behind it has. Seems they make it out of tinfoil now. Hence the rock guards.

Jahjaman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1754
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:49 pm

Re: Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

Post by Jahjaman » Mon May 28, 2018 4:38 am

NISFAN wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:11 pm
It hasn’t changed since N55.
So you're saying the N55 and the B58 use the exact same cooling system?

So you're saying that, as BMW went from the N55 to the B58:

- all the radiator components and designs are exactly the same on the B58 and the N55? That is, I can go on to realoem.com and find that the radiator in the N55 has the same part number as the radiator in the B58?

- the air to water intercooler in the B58 doesn't have an additional low temp radiator and it's own coolant circuit that the N55 never had?

Good job.
Good thing you’re not a lawyer either.
Quaife LSD
Rear underbody brace
Eibach SP Pro
F80 LCA/UCA
SuperPro subframe bushes
SuperPro diff bushes

200 cell DP
BCS cat back
Stage 2 by OE Tuning

BMW M Lite Owners Group AU & NZ
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248993522276877/

Mr.B
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

Post by Mr.B » Mon May 28, 2018 10:43 am

NISFAN wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:11 pm
Mr.B wrote:
NISFAN wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 12:01 am

That says what.....”a stone hitting a radiator hard enough will puncture it?”

Genius Image

Maybe get one for cracked windscreens next Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, a report that says the slated grill is not adequate protection to prevent stone ingress as the combined surface area of the slates in relationship to the surface area of the bumper air aperture is an inadequate percentage. This has also been unofficially acknowledged by BMW by redesigning and adding Rock Guards to new cars and offering this as a retrofit option.
It hasn’t changed since N55. Good job you’re not a lawyer. Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



No I’m not a lawyer - the pay is way too low for me and therefore I can afford a barrister.

User avatar
NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1624
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:46 pm
Location: Bedfordshire

Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

Post by NISFAN » Mon May 28, 2018 10:58 am

Jahjaman wrote:
NISFAN wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:11 pm
It hasn’t changed since N55.
So you're saying the N55 and the B58 use the exact same cooling system?

So you're saying that, as BMW went from the N55 to the B58:

- all the radiator components and designs are exactly the same on the B58 and the N55? That is, I can go on to realoem.com and find that the radiator in the N55 has the same part number as the radiator in the B58?

- the air to water intercooler in the B58 doesn't have an additional low temp radiator and it's own coolant circuit that the N55 never had?

Good job.
Good thing you’re not a lawyer either.
No, our friend above was going on about the ratio of openings in the bumper to grille coverage being unacceptable. I pointed out that in this respect, the N55 engines cars were identical. Which they are your honour. Case closed. Image

The notion is totally bizarre anyway, as since the dawn of internal combustion engined cars, you had an exposed radiator......erm, yes that’s how they work.

I’ll enter exhibit A - a model T Ford, without stone guards.

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto

User avatar
racey1979
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 627
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:53 am

Re: Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

Post by racey1979 » Mon May 28, 2018 11:12 am

Just looked at my 5000 mile m240i and there is already minor stone damage on the radiator....worried now :(
Pretty typical of BMW for shafting the customer and make they cough up to pay for their own mistakes :censored:
F22 67 M240i MG, Coral, Birds B2, MP Kit, HK, Pro Media
E91 59 335d Space Grey Emaps 350 BHP 710 nm (hers)
E46 02 325ti Compact - Sold
E46 01 330ci Coupe - Sold
Renault Clio 16 Valve
Citroen AX GTI - Saxo VTS Engined Money Pit - “Gone” :wink:

Jahjaman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1754
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:49 pm

Re: Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

Post by Jahjaman » Mon May 28, 2018 11:44 am

NISFAN wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 10:58 am
No, our friend above was going on about the ratio of openings in the bumper to grille coverage being unacceptable. I pointed out that in this respect, the N55 engines cars were identical. Which they are your honour. Case closed. Image
That post must have been a while ago, as I've gone through a few of his latest posts and none mention anything about ratio of bumper to grill?
Quaife LSD
Rear underbody brace
Eibach SP Pro
F80 LCA/UCA
SuperPro subframe bushes
SuperPro diff bushes

200 cell DP
BCS cat back
Stage 2 by OE Tuning

BMW M Lite Owners Group AU & NZ
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248993522276877/

chester
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1845
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:37 am

Re: Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

Post by chester » Mon May 28, 2018 12:02 pm

If its an issue that BMW admit to (would like to see that), then surely it would make sense to redesign the lower bumper and oil cooler grills and retrofit as necessary.

More of design over common sense.
Image
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport

User avatar
BlueSatan
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:36 am
Location: Surrey

Re: Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

Post by BlueSatan » Mon May 28, 2018 12:24 pm

Focken Hell - . Worried about mine, will check mine ASAP as soon I get back.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M140i SE with a few bits done to it.
@MBAN666

Mr.B
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

Post by Mr.B » Mon May 28, 2018 2:53 pm

NISFAN wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 10:58 am
Jahjaman wrote:
NISFAN wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:11 pm
It hasn’t changed since N55.
So you're saying the N55 and the B58 use the exact same cooling system?

So you're saying that, as BMW went from the N55 to the B58:

- all the radiator components and designs are exactly the same on the B58 and the N55? That is, I can go on to realoem.com and find that the radiator in the N55 has the same part number as the radiator in the B58?

- the air to water intercooler in the B58 doesn't have an additional low temp radiator and it's own coolant circuit that the N55 never had?

Good job.
Good thing you’re not a lawyer either.
No, our friend above was going on about the ratio of openings in the bumper to grille coverage being unacceptable. I pointed out that in this respect, the N55 engines cars were identical. Which they are your honour. Case closed. Image

The notion is totally bizarre anyway, as since the dawn of internal combustion engined cars, you had an exposed radiator......erm, yes that’s how they work.

I’ll enter exhibit A - a model T Ford, without stone guards.

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The model T radiator is made from a suitably robust material and therefore doesn’t require supplementary protection.

I’ll enter exhibit B - a radiator from BMW that needs supplementary protection as it’s made by Cadbury’s :lol:

Please also observe exhibit C - BMW Rock Guards which they are now fitting to 1, 2 and 3 series cars as supplementary radiator protection. Also available as a retrofit kit from BMW.

It makes no difference that the grill was adequate for N55 radiators, it clearly isn’t adequate for B58 radiators.

User avatar
NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1624
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:46 pm
Location: Bedfordshire

Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

Post by NISFAN » Mon May 28, 2018 2:59 pm

Jahjaman wrote:
That post must have been a while ago, as I've gone through a few of his latest posts and none mention anything about ratio of bumper to grill?
The text is copied in my post above. His spelling is not great, but he was making a point about the slats not being adequate to stop stones from hitting the radiator, and mentioned slat area to opening area ratio as being inadequate.

This is barking up the wrong tree as far as I’m concerned. The issue is the integrity of the radiator when it comes to stone damage. The radiator itself being more prone to structural failure from typical flying debris than say the N55 radiator. Of course any radiator can be holed, the frequency of the B58 radiator being holed seems to suggest a higher probability of it happening. Or read another way, getting holed by smaller stones.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto

User avatar
NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1624
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:46 pm
Location: Bedfordshire

Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

Post by NISFAN » Mon May 28, 2018 3:05 pm

Mr.B wrote:
NISFAN wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 10:58 am
Jahjaman wrote:
So you're saying the N55 and the B58 use the exact same cooling system?

So you're saying that, as BMW went from the N55 to the B58:

- all the radiator components and designs are exactly the same on the B58 and the N55? That is, I can go on to realoem.com and find that the radiator in the N55 has the same part number as the radiator in the B58?

- the air to water intercooler in the B58 doesn't have an additional low temp radiator and it's own coolant circuit that the N55 never had?

Good job.
Good thing you’re not a lawyer either.
No, our friend above was going on about the ratio of openings in the bumper to grille coverage being unacceptable. I pointed out that in this respect, the N55 engines cars were identical. Which they are your honour. Case closed. Image

The notion is totally bizarre anyway, as since the dawn of internal combustion engined cars, you had an exposed radiator......erm, yes that’s how they work.

I’ll enter exhibit A - a model T Ford, without stone guards.

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The model T radiator is made from a suitably robust material and therefore doesn’t require supplementary protection.

I’ll enter exhibit B - a radiator from BMW that needs supplementary protection as it’s made by Cadbury’s Image

Please also observe exhibit C - BMW Rock Guards which they are now fitting to 1, 2 and 3 series cars as supplementary radiator protection. Also available as a retrofit kit from BMW.

It makes no difference that the grill was adequate for N55 radiators, it clearly isn’t adequate for B58 radiators.
Great retort Image

Again, it’s not the grille that is the problem, it the construction if the intercooler core. Maybe they should use Toblerone chocolate, as it seems harder than Cadbury’s?

Or just fit a grid shaped cover that specifically protects the tubes.......the rock guard.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto

Post Reply

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”