Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

Post by NISFAN » Mon May 28, 2018 3:05 pm

Mr.B wrote:
NISFAN wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 10:58 am
Jahjaman wrote:
So you're saying the N55 and the B58 use the exact same cooling system?

So you're saying that, as BMW went from the N55 to the B58:

- all the radiator components and designs are exactly the same on the B58 and the N55? That is, I can go on to realoem.com and find that the radiator in the N55 has the same part number as the radiator in the B58?

- the air to water intercooler in the B58 doesn't have an additional low temp radiator and it's own coolant circuit that the N55 never had?

Good job.
Good thing you’re not a lawyer either.
No, our friend above was going on about the ratio of openings in the bumper to grille coverage being unacceptable. I pointed out that in this respect, the N55 engines cars were identical. Which they are your honour. Case closed. Image

The notion is totally bizarre anyway, as since the dawn of internal combustion engined cars, you had an exposed radiator......erm, yes that’s how they work.

I’ll enter exhibit A - a model T Ford, without stone guards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The model T radiator is made from a suitably robust material and therefore doesn’t require supplementary protection.

I’ll enter exhibit B - a radiator from BMW that needs supplementary protection as it’s made by Cadbury’s Image

Please also observe exhibit C - BMW Rock Guards which they are now fitting to 1, 2 and 3 series cars as supplementary radiator protection. Also available as a retrofit kit from BMW.

It makes no difference that the grill was adequate for N55 radiators, it clearly isn’t adequate for B58 radiators.
Great retort Image

Again, it’s not the grille that is the problem, it the construction if the intercooler core. Maybe they should use Toblerone chocolate, as it seems harder than Cadbury’s?

Or just fit a grid shaped cover that specifically protects the tubes.......the rock guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto

Mr.B
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

Post by Mr.B » Mon May 28, 2018 3:10 pm

[/quote]
His spelling is not great
[/quote]

Why the personal insult?

I thought this forum was for enthusiasts to help each other.

.Griff.
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

Post by .Griff. » Tue May 29, 2018 5:51 pm

Took them 13 days to reply but it's the same old crap we've already seen -
"Thanks again for your patience while I looked into this for you. Please see below the information we were provided.

BMW are always looking at ways to improve our models and therefore design changes can occur at any point in the lifetime of a vehicle. The majority of these changes will be applied at new model launches and possibly life cycle changes, which generally occur half way through the lifetime of a particular model.

A retrofit kit is available to order from a BMW Approved centre. The cost of this at retail should be £441.22 Inc. VAT, plus fitting. But this as a kit has been reduced to £350.00 Inc. VAT, plus fitting. BMW (UK) Limited won't consider the cost of this modification.

If you do speak to your centre and they’re unaware of this kit, please ask them to contact myself and I’ll advise them how to order.

I hope this helps. If there is anything else I can do for you in the future, please let me know.

Kind regards

Connor"
Gone - 135i M Sport DCT, Just picked up - SO M140i Shadow Edition 8ZF MPE

ChrisCuk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ChrisCuk » Wed May 30, 2018 8:05 am

My car is at the dealership just now. New rad will be fitted today and the rock guards are on world wide back order and they'll fit them when they come in.

Jonnybravo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Jonnybravo » Wed May 30, 2018 11:24 am

same reply for me

Thanks again for your patience while I looked into this for you. Please see below the information we were provided.

BMW are always looking at ways to improve our models and therefore design changes can occur at any point in the lifetime of a vehicle. The majority of these changes will be applied at new model launches and possibly life cycle changes, which generally occur half way through the lifetime of a particular model.

A retrofit kit is available to order from a BMW Approved centre. The cost of this at retail should be £441.22 Inc. VAT, plus fitting. But this as a kit has been reduced to £350.00 Inc. VAT, plus fitting. BMW (UK) Limited won't consider the cost of this modification.

If you do speak to your centre and they’re unaware of this kit, please ask them to contact myself and I’ll advise them how to order.

I hope this helps. If there is anything else I can do for you in the future, please let me know.

Kind regards

Ben

BMW Group

United Kingdom

Ben Sweeney

Customer Service Consultant

Customer Service

Summit ONE

Summit Avenue, Farnborough

Hampshire, GU14 0FB
M140i SE: BBS CH-R Wheels, KW V2 coilovers, M4 LCA + TS, subframe inserts, BMW LSD, JB4 + FF & EWG wires, BMS meth kit, 3.5" exhaust, Maxton splitter, side blades, M foils, carbon spoiler, carbon 500 alcantara steering & M2 paddles

OneTwenty
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by OneTwenty » Wed May 30, 2018 11:31 am

Also just got the same reply from Ben.

Good to know there is a retrofit kit, not happy about having to pay £350 for it though so will stick with some £50 wire mesh I think.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

RJW_1989
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by RJW_1989 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:37 am

i dont understand this .... its a design fault that they have identified.... iv paid the thick end of 35 grand for a brand new in warranty car and i am still expected to make the decision to either risk £1100 rad or £350 protection to prevent something that they have identifed is a legit problem and designed a fix for

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Wed May 30, 2018 11:42 am

RJW_1989 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 11:37 am
i dont understand this .... its a design fault that they have identified.... iv paid the thick end of 35 grand for a brand new in warranty car and i am still expected to make the decision to either risk £1100 rad or £350 protection to prevent something that they have identifed is a legit problem and designed a fix for
I've just replied to "Ben" with the same question.

And it's £350 plus vat and fitting so it will be more like £800.

I might look into upgrading the radiator or making my own rock guards as others have done with mesh.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

ChrisCuk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ChrisCuk » Wed May 30, 2018 12:54 pm

I still dont get how the retro fit carries that sort of price tag anyway. It is TWO stone guards @£35 each and TWO radiator mounts @£30 each.
I still think just getting the guards and aralditing them to the car will be fine anyway

barneym140i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by barneym140i » Wed May 30, 2018 1:00 pm

the retrofit kit they propose includes new radiators!

ChrisCuk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ChrisCuk » Wed May 30, 2018 1:10 pm

Daft as you dont actually need a new radiator.

It'll be 3-4 hour job if it's a new radiator so you're looking at 600 labour + 300 parts.

sod that.

Once I've had everything done on mine I'll provide more details. I also will use my "warranty fix" as proof to BMW that they are fixing these under warranty.

RJW_1989
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by RJW_1989 » Wed May 30, 2018 1:55 pm

its the same concept as the exhaust rattle that i had .... i said to them they are aware of a fix which is the MPE after a bit of umming and arghing they accepted that they couldnt pull the wool over my eyes ( thanks to this forum ) and conceded that they fit the MPE FOC.

I understand that they are a business intended to make money but if they know there is an issue with the model then they should contact us and tell us to get it booked in under warranty its none of our fault that they have released a car capable of decent speed and then stuck an unprotected radiator made from brie on the front is it

ChrisCuk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ChrisCuk » Wed May 30, 2018 7:18 pm

Well I've got the car back and I'm as happy as a pig rolling around in excrement.

Jamie @ Marshalls Hook was an absolute legend. He knew the problem and assured me he would handle it. I dropped the car off this morning, picked it up this afternoon and only had to pay £100ish for the black grilles. I though I'd get them whilst it was in there.

I got a new radiator and new mounts for the rock guards. The rock guards are on back order so I've got to wait for them to arrive in a week or two then they'll have the car in again and fit them. Win

Mr.B
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mr.B » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:07 pm

Great result Chris.

Jonnybravo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Jonnybravo » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:22 pm

Thanks for your further email.

As mentioned this isn’t a design flaw in the previous cars. We’re always looking at ways to improve our models and therefore design changes can occur at any point in the lifetime of a vehicle.

Our decision won’t change and for this reason, I’m afraid I’m unable to escalate your complaint.

I’m sorry I’ve been unable to assist you further on this occasion.

Kind regards

Ben
M140i SE: BBS CH-R Wheels, KW V2 coilovers, M4 LCA + TS, subframe inserts, BMW LSD, JB4 + FF & EWG wires, BMS meth kit, 3.5" exhaust, Maxton splitter, side blades, M foils, carbon spoiler, carbon 500 alcantara steering & M2 paddles

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”