130i E87 won't start, again...

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: Lambster, marco_polo, Rich196, babybmwadmin, Producethis

blingers
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: 130i E87 won't start, again...

Post by blingers » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:21 am

jonaslundin wrote:
blingers wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:29 am
Best to get the fault code. I had a similar problem when fixing the comfort access + replacing the battery. the fault was something to do with EWS manipulation and I had to use inpa to reset alignment with dme to ews

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Hmm I have a ODB2 reader and checked the fault codes… I had something about EWS/ DME misalignment, bla bla but since I had no idea what I was looking at I didn't think more of it.

What does that mean? What's inpa? Sorry for the newbie questions!
It's been awhile since I fixed it but it's a security thing like an immobilizer. INPA is a windows bmw diagnostic software that can read/clear fault codes and run some test functions. You can download the software from online and need an obd to USB cable.

Found a link to the fix https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1278601

jonaslundin

Post by jonaslundin » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:32 am

blingers wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:21 am
jonaslundin wrote:
blingers wrote:
Best to get the fault code. I had a similar problem when fixing the comfort access + replacing the battery. the fault was something to do with EWS manipulation and I had to use inpa to reset alignment with dme to ews

Hmm I have a ODB2 reader and checked the fault codes… I had something about EWS/ DME misalignment, bla bla but since I had no idea what I was looking at I didn't think more of it.

It's been awhile since I fixed it but it's a security thing like an immobilizer. INPA is a windows bmw diagnostic software that can read/clear fault codes and run some test functions. You can download the software from online and need an obd to USB cable.

Thank you!!

jonaslundin

Post by jonaslundin » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:21 pm

AidanZ130 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:48 am
jonaslundin wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:15 pm
Great, thanks for the tip!

Do you have any link with information of how to connect the pretensioners? :) I take it you also connected a seat occupancy bypass-thingy and airbag resistors? I would really love to understand how. :)
For the airbags I used the Recaro universal resistor kit (works on all seats/cars). The instructions said to cut the required connectors off the harness and pin in the kit. But I didn't want to wreck my car harness or any of the under-seat wiring in case I wanted to return to stock at some point. So instead of cutting cables I de-pinned the connector I needed off the under-seat wiring and used the included pins and some short bits of wire to make a "dongle", where one end is the seat airbag connector and the other is one of the Recaro connectors that the resistor plugs into. That plugs into the big yellow plug under the seat as if it were an actual airbag. Sounds complicated but once you have a look and get your head round it it's simple enough. Some wire crimper tools help too.

For the seatbelt and occupancy it was a similar thing but the kit I bought didn't require any cutting or crimping. I needed to trace the seatbelt and occupancy wiring under the seat to points I could disconnect it from the seat (again to avoid having to cut anything). Then the bypass module for the occupancy mat plugged into an existing connector on the part of the harness I removed from the seat. The seatbelt one require de-pinning two wires from the seatbelt connector and replacing with the resistor. There were instructions for this on the ebay listing I bought the module from which were decent. Hardest part of this bit is peeling off all the wiring tape under the seat to free the bits you need to take out :x

The pretensioners just went right back into the big yellow plug under the seat. It's the grey L shaped part (connector is modular, but I'm guessing you've seen that already :) ) and the airbag one is the other smaller grey connector.

http://data.blshop24.com/nowe_logo/4.jpg

This is the occupancy/seatbelt stuff I bought that has the instructions on:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Passenger-Se ... 1519723594

Take pictures of all the connectors before you de-pin any wires in case you need to put them back :D
I thought I already replied to this, but can't seem to find that post now… anyways, thanks a lot for the instructions! I will for sure try this out as soon as I get the car back from the workshop.

I'll order a set of Recaro airbag resistors or equivalent as that's what I am missing. The seat occupancy bypass thingy I have since before.

jonaslundin

Post by jonaslundin » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:22 pm

blingers wrote:
jonaslundin wrote:
blingers wrote:

Short update: The workshop gave me a call, have fixed the immobilizer issue and wants 7500 SEK (~800 USD) for the job. I feel kind of ripped off. Would you say that's a reasonable price for the fix?

blingers
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by blingers » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:29 pm

jonaslundin wrote:
blingers wrote:
jonaslundin wrote: Hmm I have a ODB2 reader and checked the fault codes… I had something about EWS/ DME misalignment, bla bla but since I had no idea what I was looking at I didn't think more of it.

Short update: The workshop gave me a call, have fixed the immobilizer issue and wants 7500 SEK (~800 USD) for the job. I feel kind of ripped off. Would you say that's a reasonable price for the fix?
Wow that is way over priced considering I did it by just a few clicks on the computer! 5 min job... Unless they fixed by replacing some modules?

Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Octavius » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:12 pm

:piss2: :shock:
2018 Glacier Silver 320d lci M Sport.

jonaslundin

Post by jonaslundin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:28 pm

blingers wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:29 pm
jonaslundin wrote:
blingers wrote:

Wow that is way over priced considering I did it by just a few clicks on the computer! 5 min job... Unless they fixed by replacing some modules?

They didn't replace a single thing. They claim to have used a software with a cost-per-use licensing model that was 5500 SEK + VAT to use. So either they've been using an expensive software or they're just lying. Sigh. Having a internal debate with myself whether I'll challenge them about it or just let it go.

Mr Whippy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Mr Whippy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:42 am

The DME and immo sync are quite a complex thing on this generation car.
Shared and rotating encryption key sets iirc.

No doubt if they fail, recoding to keys/dme etc needs expensive gear (expensive so not everyone can just buy/clone it and clone keys)

But I’m unsure how it’d have been upset by swapping seats to need significant work that wouldn’t have just been fixed easily.

Did you try both keys?

Any way, £600 is a lot of money. I’d want a decent explanation/walk through of what was wrong and what they fixed.

Especially if they just went ahead and did it without consulting you first!
130i LE - exhaust flap mod - ssk & bmwp & M3 gbox mounts - bmwp handbrake - bmwp steering surround - camber pin mod - cdv delete - koni SA & bmwp front bump & koni rear bump

jonaslundin

Post by jonaslundin » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:02 pm

AidanZ130 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:44 pm
VAC Motorsports parts again :lol: They make seatbelt brackets that you mount between the adapter plates and the floor of the car.

It's a bit of a naff/dark photo but in the bottom right driver's side on the picture I posted you can just about see one of them.

The inner sides I've mounted the standard pretensioners with buckles yes. (Edit: and yes it's connected to the seat harness)

I'll get a better picture tonight if you want :)

It's these:
https://www.hackengineering.co.uk/produ ... -brackets/
I do admire your setup! I cheated a little bit now and killed the airbag light by coding instead of messing with the resistors. :)

But I realized that I probably don't have the most secure fastening of the pretensioners to the seat mount. How did you attach yours? The hole in the pretensioner itself is ~13 mm wide which is much wider than the hole in the seat floor mount that I'm attaching it to, which means I use an undersized M8 screw and lock nut. The original screw is too short to provide enough thread for a lock nut. I figure there's basically three options;

1) Manufacture a new bolt identical to the old one but longer, with more thread so it can be fastened with a lock nut
2) Find a sleeve/ socket/ adapter or something that fills out the ~13mm wide hole in the pretensioner and that fits an M8/ M10 screw
3) Use the original screw and drill a hole in it that snuggly fits an M8/ M10 screw - i.e. use it to create an adapter

As you can see I need some guidance. :) How did you solve it?

Original screw below:
IMG_20190720_162709_s.jpg
IMG_20190720_162709_s.jpg (135.62 KiB) Viewed 83 times
Attachments
IMG_20190720_162652_s.jpg
IMG_20190720_162652_s.jpg (127.79 KiB) Viewed 83 times

AidanZ130
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by AidanZ130 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:29 am

I'd forgotten about that particular issue :lol: I just used a longer bolt but didn't try to match the diameter. Probably not the best way but i figured the pretensioner only gets pulled in one direction so it should be fine. Perhaps it's possible to find some metal tube/sleeve available with the correct ID/OD that you can cut to length and pass the longer bolt through. I may look into doing that too :)
Sparkling Graphite Pre-FL 130i
BMWP Front Brakes, 135i Rear Brakes, BMWP Exhaust, Bilstein B14, Rear Subframe Inserts, 3.85 M3 LSD, M3 Front Arms, Camber Plates, 18x9" Enkei RC-T4, AD08-R Tyres 235/255, Recaro PP

jonaslundin

Post by jonaslundin » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:25 am

AidanZ130 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:29 am
I'd forgotten about that particular issue :lol: I just used a longer bolt but didn't try to match the diameter. Probably not the best way but i figured the pretensioner only gets pulled in one direction so it should be fine. Perhaps it's possible to find some metal tube/sleeve available with the correct ID/OD that you can cut to length and pass the longer bolt through. I may look into doing that too :)
Ah, OK, well I'll keep you posted if I find a good solution. :)

Twenny

Post by Twenny » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:26 am

AidanZ130 wrote:I'd forgotten about that particular issue :lol: I just used a longer bolt but didn't try to match the diameter. Probably not the best way but i figured the pretensioner only gets pulled in one direction so it should be fine.
FML Aidan, let’s hope you never have to find out mate eh?
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+Strut+intake+skirts+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-M135i front brakes-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

AidanZ130
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by AidanZ130 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:37 pm

jonaslundin wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:25 am
I think even a bit of nylon round bar of the right diameter with an 8mm hole drilled through would suffice, doesn't even need to be perfectly central.
Twenny wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:26 am
But I did it up extra tight :D :oops: Honestly though it is safe despite how it sounds. It's a bolt through a hole into a bracket with a washer and nut tightening it on the other side, it's not going anywhere.

I'll hold a challenge round my house, any person who can pull my seatbelt out without pulling the floor up wins the car :lol: We'll call it Excalibelt
Sparkling Graphite Pre-FL 130i
BMWP Front Brakes, 135i Rear Brakes, BMWP Exhaust, Bilstein B14, Rear Subframe Inserts, 3.85 M3 LSD, M3 Front Arms, Camber Plates, 18x9" Enkei RC-T4, AD08-R Tyres 235/255, Recaro PP

Twenny

Post by Twenny » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:04 pm

AidanZ130 wrote:
jonaslundin wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:25 am
I think even a bit of nylon round bar of the right diameter with an 8mm hole drilled through would suffice, doesn't even need to be perfectly central.
Twenny wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:26 am
But I did it up extra tight :D :oops: Honestly though it is safe despite how it sounds. It's a bolt through a hole into a bracket with a washer and nut tightening it on the other side, it's not going anywhere.

I'll hold a challenge round my house, any person who can pull my seatbelt out without pulling the floor up wins the car :lol: We'll call it Excalibelt
Hahahaha excalibelt you funny fcuker that made me proper laugh Image
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+Strut+intake+skirts+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-M135i front brakes-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”