Re: What makes a BMW M car - not the usual discussion

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: babybmwadmin, Producethis, marco_polo, Lambster, Rich196

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo »

Interesting question, CoupeSilver. I suppose you could ask, is the Supra a Toyota? Most people would argue it isn't really.

BMW manufacture little more than bodyshells and engines, pretty much everything else is subcontracted out. It would be an unusual direction for an engine-manufacturing marque, to buy a prize engine from a competitor, but it's not impossible I suppose? Rather like Coca-Cola subcontracting their manufacturing to Pepsi?!
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Currently saving up for some Pork....
marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

Toyota have a history of making Sewing Machines, Boats, putting Subaru engines in their GT86's, and Telsa running gear in their Rav4's.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

50pence

Post by 50pence »

What makes a BMW a BMW is the conceptual design and the mechanically engineering, and the extensive heritage in respect of both which includes a reputation for building some of the finest petrol and diesel engines by any standards.

--
F20 M135i LCi, auto, adaptive suspension, adaptive LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, c/pack, elec folding mirrors etc
F55 Mini Cooper, man, LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, head-up display, active cruise, XL nav, elec folding mirrors etc
marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

I used to work for Kawasaki, they're basically ship-wrights. Their logo is a slight deviation of the Japanese 'Kawa' symbol for river:

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

Yup, right here in Blightly. Hydraulics mainly.

50pence

Post by 50pence »

Well I've got a Kawasaki, actually I've had three over the years, amongst other bikes.

--
F20 M135i LCi, auto, adaptive suspension, adaptive LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, c/pack, elec folding mirrors etc
F55 Mini Cooper, man, LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, head-up display, active cruise, XL nav, elec folding mirrors etc
50pence

Post by 50pence »

Yamaha have the most interesting and possibly the most diverse range of products, amongst the finest musical instruments, from concert grand pianos to drums and wind instruments, great HiFi components with a strong following, leaders in AV equipment and what have generally been considered to be the best outboard motors over the last 15 years or so, great efficiency and reliability and the best corrosion resistance, important in a salt water environment clearly.

I've said before (in a motorcycle banter with mates context) that I ride a Kawasaki, drive a BMW, listen to a Yamaha, and cut my grass with a Honda!

--
OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty »

50pence wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:06 pm

Yamaha have the most interesting and possibly the most diverse range of products, amongst the finest musical instruments, from concert grand pianos to drums and wind instruments, great HiFi components with a strong following, leaders in AV equipment and what have generally been considered to be the best outboard motors over the last 15 years or so, great efficiency and reliability and the best corrosion resistance, important in a salt water environment clearly.

I've said before (in a motorcycle banter with mates context) that I ride a Kawasaki, drive a BMW, listen to a Yamaha, and cut my grass with a Honda!

--
Isn’t the Yamaha logo 3 piano tuning forks together? :)
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M | MST Intake

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise
BreadBin
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by BreadBin »

What makes an M-car?
An oil temperature gauge. If it doesn't have one it's not an M-car.
🤭
E82 135i DCT N55
Octavius

Post by Octavius »

50pence wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:58 pm Well I've got a Kawasaki, actually I've had three over the years, amongst other bikes.

--
What are they like on water 😀
Dizeee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Dizeee »

What happened to the bloke who posted this thread and used to post all the time but only had a 225d - another forum vanisher?
marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

I believe he had a Silver 125i Coupe.

No idea why he left (maybe someone suggested he only had a 125i?), but people can choose to have their accounts nuked if they wish. It is a bit of a shame, as it turns useful older conversations into nonsence.

padders
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Re: What makes a BMW M car - not the usual discussion

Post by padders »

So Coupesilver stropped off did he? Shame, he was one of the more active participants, though strangely in the M-lite area so he was presumably at one point planning on getting one. Maybe his plans for his next ride changed and he moved elsewhere.

I am active on other forms where they wont allow blanket post removal for the reasons stated above, it messes up the existing threads. You can check out.. but you can never leave, so to speak.
Current: M240i in MG with Cognac interior, Pro Nav, HK, Adaptive Shocks, MP-LSD, Sunroof, Active Cruise, WiFi/CarPlay, PDC F&R, Folding mirrors etc
Also: 911-997 Gen 1 C2
Gone: 125d F20 high spec, 320d E91 Poverty spec, 230hp Turbo MX-5
OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty »

Why is everyone throwing their toys out of the pram and nuking their accounts all of a sudden??? :lol: :shock: :?

It's just a car forum, sometimes we all agree and sometimes we don't but it's not worth worrying about. I come on here quite a bit, then go off and do other stuff for a while, then come back etc etc.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M | MST Intake

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise
Dizeee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Dizeee »

Personally I thought coupesilver was weird, and possibly has some sort of difficulties. He posted relentlessly, about everything, and came out with war and peace about topics he clearly didn't know much about. At one point every other thread in this forum was created by him. I was really tempted to ask why he was so active on an M Lite forum with a 125i ( 3 yrs worth of posts I think in the Mx35 / 40 section ) but refrained as I believed he has some issues deep down.

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”