Baby BMW Forum banner

Why is my F40 M135ix tramlining and wearing its tyres out?

76K views 364 replies 75 participants last post by  Kierond 
#1 ·
BMW have suggested ridiculously high tyre pressures for the M135ix in order to reduce it's emissions. However, this massive over-inflation can lead to central tyre wear (particularly on Bridgestones), poor grip, poor ride quality, tramlining, etc. All bad, basically. The only upside to over-inflation is MPG.

For a lightly loaded F40 M135ix, people have found dropping to roughly 2.5 Bar/36psi front and 2.3 Bar/33psi rear a noticeable improvement (or even slightly lower). Well worth an experiment as air is basically free at your local petrol station.

Tyre pressures should be set cold, using a decent pressure gauge like a RaceX. Don't forget to reset the TPMS to the new pressures afterwards.

#177 ·
Daz4065 said:
I might risk it because the Continental and Pirelli options seem to wear quickly anyways. I know some have put the PS4s on but haven't heard if this has worked.

Quite frustrating, when I consider that Bridgestone/Conti/Pirelli these tyres are apparently to BMW's high specification.
I replaced the BS with Pirelli Pzero PZ4 *marked, covered 5200 miles and they have worn extremely evenly, I measured them at 6.7mm when new, they are now at 5mm across the tyre, cold pressures have been at 36psi front and 33psi rear since fitting, great in wet and dry with less noise and no tram lining at all.

#178 ·
I've got 13k on the clock now, and my Conti Premium Contact 19"s have worn well… still have 4mm on the fronts & 5.5mm on the rears. Even wear across the tyre too.

#179 ·
Thanks guys, this is good to know and will help in my choice of tyre as I am forced to change now. I don't want to waste unnecessary money on a tyre that won't live up to expectations.

Has anyone gone for unstarred MP4s?

#182 ·
Ajm said:
You can also get the Continental SportContact 6 in a 235/35/19 star marked tyre now. I don't know if anyone has fitted it yet?

I had those tyres in run-flat version (size 225/45 r1:cool2: fitted to my F45 replacing the the front Bridgestone rfts. The Contis were more comfortable and quieter with decent rim protection - they looked like they had a more rounder profile than the squarer BS. I swapped the contis to the back & BS to the front to use them-up and the ride is definitely harsher.

#183 ·
active_ti said:
Ajm said:
You can also get the Continental SportContact 6 in a 235/35/19 star marked tyre now. I don't know if anyone has fitted it yet?

I had those tyres in run-flat version (size 225/45 r1:cool2: fitted to my F45 replacing the the front Bridgestone rfts. The Contis were more comfortable and quieter with decent rim protection - they looked like they had a more rounder profile than the squarer BS. I swapped the contis to the back & BS to the front to use them-up and the ride is definitely harsher.
Yes the bridgestones do have particularly square shoulders, this is likely one of the main reasons they tramline so readily.

#184 ·
Picked up an 11month old m135i with pro pack last week. 8,000 miles, 552m alloys and bridegstones all round.

Noticed when driving at 70 plus it has a very subtle steering wobble. Assumed it was the lane assist steering feedback which I disabled when I got back.

Noticed yesterday the front tyres are dated Sept 21 so have been replaced. Backs are July 20.

What should I be looking for here? Thrown a weight? , buckled wheel/s? , or could it be as simple as the tyre pressures?

#186 ·
I took delivery of my M135i in winter so I was on 18'' tyres for a few months before switching to the 19'' Bridgestone, and I immediately noticed the "trameling" effect. I thought that it was normal due to the width of the tyre and never really investigated about it (first time I have "sports" tyres). On the highway it's fine, but it can be a bit annoying on B roads.

I also noticed that the middle tread on the front tyres is extremely worn already (after some 15k kms). I will check with my dealer because the tyre pressure is as recommended and it shouldn't wear like that… my wallet is hiding already :lol2:

#190 ·
SilverSport said:
S_Len13 said:
Reducing pressures doesn't change the tramlining and ghost steering in my experience…
Sadly it didn't reduce that for me neither, but it does seem to have caused the middle of the tyre to wear at a slower rate.
Hoping once they wear out and I change to the Pzeros is won't be an issue anymore..

#191 ·
S_Len13 said:
SilverSport said:
S_Len13 said:
Reducing pressures doesn't change the tramlining and ghost steering in my experience…
Sadly it didn't reduce that for me neither, but it does seem to have caused the middle of the tyre to wear at a slower rate.
Hoping once they wear out and I change to the Pzeros is won't be an issue anymore..
Same here. I'd rather be changing them for PS4S but they aren't star rated so looks like it'll be the Pirelli's.

#192 ·
I noticed one guy managed successfully to get his dealer to replace tyres after centre wear, did anyone else have any success? topic seemed to drop off a few pages back. Due to pick up new m135i at end of November after original September delivery date. This tyre issue is a bit disturbing.

#193 ·
I've got 19" with the Bridgestones and the front tyres centre tread is wearing a bit quicker than the outside. I dropped the pressures pretty much straight away but have played around with different configurations. 36psi front and 33 rear seems to be the best fit for me. Have done 6000 miles and still got plenty of tread left.

#194 ·
I fitted Pzero's at 6100miles, I'm now at 13019miles, they started with 6.7mm tread depth, and yesterday were at 4.0mm on the front (even across the tyre) and 5.5mm rear (even across the tyre), I swapped them front to back last night so should get around another 10K from them hopefully! 🤞

P.S. I've not yet heard anything more from BMW about the case I have open with them in regards to the Bridgestone wear.

Pressure are set cold (with a calibrated tyre gauge) at 36psi front and 33psi rear, IDrive shows them as 37-38front and 34-35rear cold.

#195 ·
Bridgestone Potenza S005s here.

Car will be 4 months old in a week - 3400 miles on the clock and after a dealer visit yesterday, the "health check" indicated the front tyres are at 5mm/4mm/5mm.....going to measure them myself because that's ridiculous [emoji23]

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

#196 ·
RICARDO1892 said:

Car will be 4 months old in a week - 3400 miles on the clock and after a dealer visit yesterday, the "health check" indicated the front tyres are at 5mm/4mm/5mm.....going to measure them myself because that's ridiculous [emoji23]

I can't believe BMW are still fitting the S005's! They know there is an issue with them (as do Bridgestone), Due to heavy centre wear my front tyres were as good as illegal by 5000 miles, all four replaced at 6100 miles.

Attachments

#198 ·
andy1968 said:
Hard to believe that BMW aren't taking this seriously- Obviously something is defo amiss here
Likely a big delivery from Bridgestones and BMW need to get rid of it? - even then, absolutely baffles me how this is acceptable. I guess they are not doing anything wrong as it is not a safety hazard so they are attempting to shift as many as possible before a callback or anything like that occurs. Win/Win for both parties involved.

#199 ·
Car manufacturers operate a just in time model and typically don't warehouse components. That's why they are all f*cked when they stopped delivery of transistor chips during the worst of Covid without realising they couldn't simply switch the supply back on when it suited them because it was diverted to much bigger consumers (mobile phones, etc).

#200 ·
RICARDO1892 said:

The tyres don't come with much tread from factory, I think mine were about 6 mm when brand new. Nevertheless the centre wear is clearly not right. Did you reduce the front tyre pressures?