Baby BMW Forum banner

About to retrofit Professional radio. Need some guidance.

23K views 75 replies 5 participants last post by  isiarj20 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

My 120D has the Business HU and I found for a reasonable prise the Professional HU (From E90, my research shows that they are the same, right?).

I saw the following video " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

I have a question regarding the USB. Does all Prof. HU has the USB connector and is it always WHITE, or it can be WHITE?

What is the exact coding which has to be done. Change the VO, removing the Business Radio and adding the Professional. Anything else?

P.S. The Prof. HU is from E90 LCI, but there are no detail pictures of the HU itself. I was wondering if I can get the information if it is USB and Bluetooth enabled. Probably if I ask for the vehicle VIN?

#2 ·
Yes e90 headunits are exactly the same and useable..

Usb does not just require coding unless you have usb already in your car..
It is also not just a case of adding rad2 to your VO, unless the donor car has usb etc then it will need to be coded..
It all depends on the donor cars options and your options..

#3 ·
I don't have an USB outlet, only AUX. I'm not sure about the donor car, but I'll get its vin tomorrow and I'll read the options it has. Hopefully if the car has USB and BT build-in in the HU it will say so in the options list, not only BMW Professional CD.

It is a good upgrade from Business to Professional as the second one supports MP3 CDs, but it will be best if the HU also has the USB and BT build-in, this will be one bullet - two rabbits :bigsmile:

#4 ·
Even with the usb built in it will require the retrofit as you dont have a usb socket..
And bt will require a mic..

What ever the donor car had will be the options coded so if it has bt and usb it will be enabled..

#6 ·
I'm actually retrofitting a Pro radio (with BT and USB built in)
Installation is really easy except removing the center console to route the USB wire under the armrest. (I'm even using a VW mic+wiring, cheaper and almost plug and play, just a pin to swap)

But coding for me is PITA... (I have cable and softwares), I did every DIY/Tutorial I found on the web.
I can't make it work..., it's really weird...
And I had to remove some gongs with coding (because when installing the Pro radio, they become very louder)

I had the Business HU too wit only the AUX source.
I'll be happy to follow your installation.

#7 ·
ripper0306 said:
I'm actually retrofitting a Pro radio (with BT and USB built in)
Installation is really easy except removing the center console to route the USB wire under the armrest. (I'm even using a VW mic+wiring, cheaper and almost plug and play, just a pin to swap)

But coding for me is PITA... (I have cable and softwares), I did every DIY/Tutorial I found on the web.
I can't make it work..., it's really weird...
And I had to remove some gongs with coding (because when installing the Pro radio, they become very louder)

I had the Business HU too wit only the AUX source.
I'll be happy to follow your installation.
Why are you having problems??

Remove old rad from vo then add $663, $6nn, $6fl and code whole car..
You will need to add these to the vo properly or it wont stay there and will be gone the nxt time you open ncs..
You may also have to trick the car into thinking your prod date is later than it is depending on the year of your car..

#9 ·
ripper0306 said:
I did it gigla... All the things you said :(
And still no BT, and no power/sound from USB (icon shown in audio sources)
There is no reason for it not to work if its wired up properly, did you code the whole car or just rad2??

What production date did you trick ncs into believing you had??

Are them options still showing in your vo??

I can show you how to enable it manualy by editing the trace file but using the retrofit codes is the proper way to work, but if that fails then add the options manualy..

#11 ·
I'll know in few days when I recieve the HU, but I'm almost curtain that it won't have the USB and BT build-in.

You can try sending PM to the colleague in the E90 forum, he did the DYI video, I'm sure he will be more than happy to help.

Here is the link: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

P.S. I've read in a different thread, here in BabyBMW, that E90 and E87 units have different hardware and sometimes this makes it very hard to get it up and working, but I'm not sure if this is the case here.

#12 ·
My pm's are full and its a pita to keep deleting when they come thru so its easier for me to reply on here..

First the prod date you set the vo to, use 0910 to 1011..

What version daten do you have?

Also just coding rad2 isnt enough, once vo is changed you must code the whole car, if you have a error then your datens are out of date and this is prob causing all your problems..

If this fails after a daten update and full car code then remove 6nn from vo and see if bt shows..

Also please dont copy a blank file to a module, this is not the way to work, use expert profile to code to default.. :wink:

#14 ·
So, gigla, If I'm getting you right I should follow the steps bellow:
1. Change VO by Adding the required options.
2. Write the VO
3. Just hit PROCESS car with JOB SG_CODIEREN, in order to reprogram all module to the new VO.

Did I got it right?

Thanks.

#15 ·
bobbyggx said:
So, gigla, If I'm getting you right I should follow the steps bellow:
1. Change VO by Adding the required options.
2. Write the VO
3. Just hit PROCESS car with JOB SG_CODIEREN, in order to reprogram all module to the new VO.

Did I got it right?

Thanks.
Yes but vo must be changed on both cas and frm

So
1. Remove $662 and add $6fl $663 $6nn to the vo list of cas and frm and write
1 delete the cars date and put #0311 in the vo list do not write this
3.code the car with sg-codiern

All should be done in expert profile.. :D

#17 ·
bobbyggx said:
I'm not sure how to change the date, because I've never done it before. Could you please clarify a bit?
Just remove your date, and add the new one to your vo.. Just dont write it as you dont want it perminent..
You only want to trick ncs to think you car is newer, dont write it to your vo or it will cause probs with other modules..
After this code the car to default!!
If u cant do this u shouldnt be tampering with the vo 2bh, this is basic coding..

#19 ·
gigla said:
bobbyggx said:
I'm not sure how to change the date, because I've never done it before. Could you please clarify a bit?
Just remove your date, and add the new one to your vo.. Just dont write it as you dont want it perminent..
You only want to trick ncs to think you car is newer, dont write it to your vo or it will cause probs with other modules..
If u cant do this u shouldnt be tampering with the vo 2bh, this is basic coding..
Hum, If I understand you.
We write options ($6NN / $6FL / $663) with original date
then we add the date ?
Finally we code the whole car (will result with an error because of the cable of course).
What's the purpose of adding the date after writing options in the VO ?

I writed the newest date in the VO, maybe, it's the problem.

#20 ·
ripper0306 said:
gigla said:
bobbyggx said:
Hum, If I understand you.
We write options ($6NN / $6FL / $663) with original date
then we add the date ?
Finally we code the whole car (will result with an error because of the cable of course).
What's the purpose of adding the date after writing options in the VO ?

I writed the newest date in the VO, maybe, it's the problem.
Once you change the vo these options are not coded to the car they are just added to the vo, the car must then be coded to add these values..
So you code these options to your vo so its perminent, then you trick ncs to date change, this doesnt change your manufacturing date perminently only while we code the whole car for new options..

#21 ·
gigla said:
Once you change the vo these options are not coded to the car they are just added to the vo, the car must then be coded to add these values..
So you code these options to your vo so its perminent, then you trick ncs to date change, this doesnt change your manufacturing date perminently only while we code the whole car for new options..
I get the coding idea,
but not the 'date change' not perminently

My english is limited.

#22 ·
ripper0306 said:
gigla said:
I get the coding idea,
but not the 'date change' not perminently

My english is limited.
When you change your vo it doesnt change anything on the car untill you code the cars modules after the vo change, yes?!
So when you add the option 663 etc to vo you dont code the car, just code it to vo of cas and frm (this is perminently editing the vo)
Then you close ncs, open it again and change date to 0311 but DONT write this to vo,
then you code the car! This will code it under production date 0311 but when you close ncs and open it again your vo will show you old build date..
This is how we trick ncs to thinking it was built later than it was..

I dont know how else to explain it to you..
If your not sure on ncs functionality then dont tamper untill you have more knowledge on it, if you screw up your car it can cost grands to put right.

coding your cars modules and coding your vo are differnt things

#23 ·
gigla said:
When you change your vo it doesnt change anything on the car untill you code the cars modules after the vo change, yes?!
So when you add the option 663 etc to vo you dont code the car, just code it to vo of cas and frm (this is perminently editing the vo)
Then you close ncs, open it again and change date to 0311 but DONT write this to vo,
then you code the car! This will code it under production date 0311 but when you close ncs and open it again your vo will show you old build date..

If your not sure on ncs functionality then dont tamper untill you have more knowledge on it, if you screw up your car it can cost grands to put right.

Yes, I understand, I know that.
But weird, that everybody on internet write the new date permanently in the VO and don't do that 'trick'
I will test that.

FA_WRITE options in VO with older date (CAS NFRM)
And then reopen NCSExpert and add 0311 to the VO and recode the entire car.

I tried your method. No results...
I think I will send back the Radio to the seller. I give up.

#24 ·
ripper0306 said:
gigla said:

Yes, I understand, I know that.
But weird, that everybody on internet write the new date permanently in the VO and don't do that 'trick'
I will test that.

FA_WRITE options in VO with older date (CAS NFRM)
And then reopen NCSExpert and add 0311 to the VO and recode the entire car.

I tried your method. No results...
I think I will send back the Radio to the seller. I give up.
What profile are you using?? Revtor (manipulation) it must be in expert profile..
Try a manual reset of that module and just code the rad2 module with expert profile..

#26 ·
ripper0306 said:
Everytime in Expert mode, yes.
Except for modification in the PSW FSW files (PSW FSW profile then)
Do u have 2rad showing or 2urad??

Load up rad2 and use job sg_reset and process job..

Then turn off car, unplug the battery, wait 20 secs, then reconnect the battery

See if that enables it??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.