BMW Open Case - exhaust tip pitting

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, Producethis, marco_polo, Lambster, Rich196

frazzle
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by frazzle »

Like many, my M135i has suffered with exhaust tip corrosion. I had the drivers side tip replaced probably 6 months ago by Douglas Park in Hamilton with no questions asked, however both tips have are now showing signs of pitting so I took it back in today.

In all honesty I was just expecting that they would be replaced, but I've been told that I will need to book it in so that the dealership can take photos and raise a case to BMW. If successful all it will get me is a fresh set of exhaust tips, and as we know, they will last best part of 6 months before they go again.

Frustrated as I don't really want to have to continually go through this, only to have a not fit for purpose item replaced by another not fit for purpose item.

So two questions really;

1 - other than spending a fortune on an alternative exhaust or having to pay out of our own pockets to buy 435 chrome tips, has anyone actually resolved this issue with their dealer, and if so can you share how?
2 - to the mods, might it be an idea to open up a sticky on this subject. It seems that almost all owners experience this problem yet the dealership reactions aren't consistent. Might be helpful to share any case numbers, or suggestions to get the right outcome.
68 - Mini Cooper S
65 - Gone: Mineral Grey Auto 5dr M135i
14 - Gone: Estoril Auto 5dr M135i.
mdr24uk
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: BMW Open Case - exhaust tip pitting

Post by mdr24uk »

Interested in how this pans out - just over 4 months old and with a post-winter pressure wash I've noticed that my tips are pitting, the right more so than the left (as suggested due to cold startup flap operation?).
:) Rookie (Mark)

Fun: TRL special M135i 5dr auto, MG, adaptive suspension, HK, Pro Nav, Comfort Pack, heated seats
Family: Audi A4 Avant
Former: JCW MINI, X5 3.0d, MINI Cooper, 323i, 318i, 316i Compact, 316i
Woody80
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Woody80 »

Mine are the same. Free upgrades to MPE would be nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steven1077
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Steven1077 »

I really can't see why they can't offer us the chrome tips, that has to be cheaper for them in the long run
Drives F40 118i :lol: F40 M135i soon :shock:
Previous F30 335d, F32 435i, F21 M135i F22 M235i, F30 340i, F22 M240i F21 M140i
Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Octavius »

How much more expensive are the chrome tips. Could you make a small contribution towards them to offset the price difference ?
madbadad
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by madbadad »

I've taken mine off for the winter and will refit when the salt/snow/rain goes away, looks basic but functional without

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

Blackbmw120d wrote:How much more expensive are the chrome tips. Could you make a small contribution towards them to offset the price difference ?
I tried going down that road, but they weren't interested. Said they'd keep replacing the manky ones every 3 months, but I soon got bored of that. :|
Current: Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Waiting for my Porker....
roshambo

Post by roshambo »

I don't have the M Lite but even on my Sport I had corrosion and got the tip replaced last April. Not too bothered about them now with it being sold next month but glad to know that I have chrome tips on my 4er :spotman:

BMW should really sort out these 1 series tips!

Matt
AAddict
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by AAddict »

Steven1077 wrote:I really can't see why they can't offer us the chrome tips, that has to be cheaper for them in the long run
The chrome tips look a bit sh*t though IMO
Fraggle
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Fraggle »

AAddict wrote:The chrome tips look a bit sh*t though IMO
I'm not keen on them either, black chrome looks far better IMO
Gone: 118i M-Sport Glacier
Gone: M135i AW/Coral

Replaced with: Nowt yet.
Max M4X WW
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Max M4X WW »

AAddict wrote:
Steven1077 wrote:I really can't see why they can't offer us the chrome tips, that has to be cheaper for them in the long run
:starwars:
M135i 3dr Manual in Estoril Blue with Coral Red Leather
Business Nav, HK Audio, Comfort Pack & Black Panel
frazzle
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by frazzle »

I actually started out by asking if the dealwrship would just switch to chrome. My preference is the standard dark silver finish but ultimately I just dont want pitted tailpipes.

Im a bit thrown that I will now have to raise a case to get them repaired which means it will be even more hassle and most likely a long wait, only for it to happen again.

Has anyone else had to raise a case viia BMW?
68 - Mini Cooper S
65 - Gone: Mineral Grey Auto 5dr M135i
14 - Gone: Estoril Auto 5dr M135i.
Steven1077
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Steven1077 »

AAddict wrote:
That's your opinion, I think they look better than the black ones, I personally think that black grills look sh*t on a blue car but that's only my opinion, to each his own
Drives F40 118i :lol: F40 M135i soon :shock:
Previous F30 335d, F32 435i, F21 M135i F22 M235i, F30 340i, F22 M240i F21 M140i
Aero
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Aero »

Although my car is only 8-9 months old, my tips are looking pretty good still. Each time I wash the car I give them a coat of high temp wax or sealant. I'd read about the problem beforehand and didn't want to be fussing with taking the car to the dealers for replacements, so gave this a go. Certainly a pain, but perhaps has helped.
Alpine White M2 LCi
chester

Post by chester »

Aero wrote:Although my car is only 8-9 months old, my tips are looking pretty good still. Each time I wash the car I give them a coat of high temp wax or sealant. I'd read about the problem beforehand and didn't want to be fussing with taking the car to the dealers for replacements, so gave this a go. Certainly a pain, but perhaps has helped.
Picked mine up last June and both tips are still brand new, no pitting. Wash the car weekly and no issues upto now. I think if you let carbon build up on any exhaust trim with a coating on them they will corrode, heat, water and exhaust deposits will do its work. The tips on the E89 go the same way after a time unless kept clean.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”