135i n55 misfire code read

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196, Producethis

Richo122

135i n55 misfire code read

Post by Richo122 »

Hi.

So my 135 has an intermittent issue where it judders badly after starting and an error flashes up about engine fault detected. Strangely turning it off and on again usually clears it and it seems to then run ok even for days/weeks without doing it again. It does seem to have a longer crank to start than it used to but has never failed to start.

Reading around I’m thinking it could be coil pack related but I’m also wondering about the battery as it appears to be original (2011 car with 56k on it). Plugs were changed by a local BMW independent in June.

Would you recommend me getting an obd reader and app such as bimmerlink to see if anything is registered? Would I also need bimmercode for fault codes and battery registration should I need a new one?

Thanks
E82 135i N55, DCT, Black Sapphire, Shadowline, Boston Leather, Nav, Xenons.

Nyxeris
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: 135i n55 misfire code read

Post by Nyxeris »

Bimmerlink does everything you listed so I’d start by buying that and your choice of adapter. You only need Bimmercode if you also want to change anything in the car’s modules (add digital speedo, comfort folding mirrors, disable voltage monitoring for LEDs etc.).

You can get an OEM Exide battery for around £125 with free next-day courier from Tayna Batteries via their eBay, as long as you get one of identical spec to what’s already in there registering it with Bimmerlink is a three tap job.
E81 130i | Build Thread

Richo122

Post by Richo122 »

Nyxeris wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:19 am
Bimmerlink does everything you listed so I’d start by buying that and your choice of adapter. You only need Bimmercode if you also want to change anything in the car’s modules (add digital speedo, comfort folding mirrors, disable voltage monitoring for LEDs etc.).

You can get an OEM Exide battery for around £125 with free next-day courier from Tayna Batteries via their eBay, as long as you get one of identical spec to what’s already in there registering it with Bimmerlink is a three tap job.
Spot on. Will get myself bimmerlink and an adapter and see what it comes up with! Thank you!

herx
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by herx »

Richo122 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:12 am
Hi.

So my 135 has an intermittent issue where it judders badly after starting and an error flashes up about engine fault detected. Strangely turning it off and on again usually clears it and it seems to then run ok even for days/weeks without doing it again. It does seem to have a longer crank to start than it used to but has never failed to start.

Reading around I’m thinking it could be coil pack related but I’m also wondering about the battery as it appears to be original (2011 car with 56k on it). Plugs were changed by a local BMW independent in June.

Would you recommend me getting an obd reader and app such as bimmerlink to see if anything is registered? Would I also need bimmercode for fault codes and battery registration should I need a new one?

Thanks
The coil packs (tend to) have dates marked on them. If you have no history whether they have been changed in the past or not, have a look before buying new ones.

It sounds like misfires for sure.
116i E81 N43 manual

Major_Sarcasm
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Major_Sarcasm »

I replaced my 2011 battery, plugs and coil packs recently. I didn't have a misfire, but it made all the difference to my cold start lumpiness.
2011 E82 135i LCI M Sport, N55, Manual
"In Soviet Russia, rear wiper deletes you"

Richo122

Post by Richo122 »

herx wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:21 pm
Richo122 wrote:
Hi.

Thanks
The coil packs (tend to) have dates marked on them. If you have no history whether they have been changed in the past or not, have a look before buying new ones.

It sounds like misfires for sure.
That’s really useful to know. Just need to locate them as to date I have not really had a good look round under the bonnet!! I have no doubt there will be a post somewhere on here to help me though - amazing forum! Cheers

Richo122

Post by Richo122 »

Major_Sarcasm wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:59 am
I replaced my 2011 battery, plugs and coil packs recently. I didn't have a misfire, but it made all the difference to my cold start lumpiness.
Did you replace all coils? If I see that they are original then I may do the same. Did you purchase from a dealer or source oem spec elsewhere? Was it an easy job to replace them?

Cheers

Major_Sarcasm
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Major_Sarcasm »

I didn't do them personally. I had a local garage doing a service which included plugs. I asked them to change the coil packs if they saw that they were a bit past their sell by date.

A couple of them were a little discoloured so all six were changed. They were sourced from a local motor factors.

herx
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by herx »

Richo122 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:27 am
That’s really useful to know. Just need to locate them as to date I have not really had a good look round under the bonnet!! I have no doubt there will be a post somewhere on here to help me though - amazing forum! Cheers
No probs! I had a look at mine during the weekend (having misfires too..) and they have 22 something 18 which is week number and year (I replaced them back then myself). Sorry I am not familiar with the N55 but hit your VIN https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/ and you will find them easily
116i E81 N43 manual

Richo122

Post by Richo122 »

Cheers. Will have a look one evening or weekend for date stamps! Darn useful (but potentially dangerous for the amateur diyer) site that! :)

Major_Sarcasm
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Major_Sarcasm »

Richo122 wrote:
I’m also wondering about the battery as it appears to be original (2011 car with 56k on it).
FYI, although you might already know this, the date will be stamped on the top of the negative terminal of the battery. Easy to see if it's original like mine was.

Richo122

Post by Richo122 »

I did not know this! So many date stamps on BMW parts! Thank you so much!

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”