Rumbling sound on start up

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Post Reply
Rhysgiles
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:08 pm

Rumbling sound on start up

Post by Rhysgiles » Thu May 24, 2018 12:16 pm

Can anyone tell me what they think this might be been bugging me for ages now https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1ldaL6h-LiU


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhysgiles
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:08 pm

Re: Rumbling sound on start up

Post by Rhysgiles » Thu May 24, 2018 2:00 pm

You can hear it only happens for 3 seconds then stops. This is after the car has been sitting for a while. Once the engine is warm and I turn it off & on again it doesn’t make that sound. Happened ever since I change the oil one time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 19424
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:51 pm
Location: In The Land Of The Romps

Re: Rumbling sound on start up

Post by Octavius » Thu May 24, 2018 7:45 pm

Did you use the correct viscosity oil. Sounds like it’s struggling to circulate when cold but okay when warm.
DEFECTED TO SKODA.

User avatar
Dr.Velasco
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:14 pm

Re: Rumbling sound on start up

Post by Dr.Velasco » Thu May 24, 2018 11:43 pm

I had an 2.4 Accord that did something very similar during cold startups.

It was the VTC actuator, a piece lost it's oil as time went by so upon start up, it will make a brief sound, very similar to your video.

In Honda's case, it was due to a design flaw, but what made it worse, was an incorret oil viscosity, or the engine oil had lots some of it's properties. A quick fix was an oil stabilizer from Lucas Oil. But this was a band aid fix.
2011 130i 6MT

Rhysgiles
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:08 pm

Re: Rumbling sound on start up

Post by Rhysgiles » Thu May 24, 2018 11:52 pm

Octavius wrote:Did you use the correct viscosity oil. Sounds like it’s struggling to circulate when cold but okay when warm.
Yes I’ve use Castrol edge 0w 30, bmw brand 5w30 and now it’s running 5w40 and the service book always has had 0w30 but they all make the noise


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhysgiles
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:08 pm

Re: Rumbling sound on start up

Post by Rhysgiles » Thu May 24, 2018 11:55 pm

Dr.Velasco wrote:I had an 2.4 Accord that did something very similar during cold startups.

It was the VTC actuator, a piece lost it's oil as time went by so upon start up, it will make a brief sound, very similar to your video.

In Honda's case, it was due to a design flaw, but what made it worse, was an incorret oil viscosity, or the engine oil had lots some of it's properties. A quick fix was an oil stabilizer from Lucas Oil. But this was a band aid fix.
Thanks for the info, so are you saying I should try a thicker oil? I wouldn’t know which to use for mine there is only a select few that I’ve been told I can use for my engine


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Dr.Velasco
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:14 pm

Re: Rumbling sound on start up

Post by Dr.Velasco » Fri May 25, 2018 12:08 am

Trying a thicker oil might solve this issue but cause others.

Something that might help is Liqui Moly MoS2 or Ceratec, I'm more inclined to the first one.

Worst case scenario is it does not fix this issue but your engine will run smoother!

When was your las oil change?
2011 130i 6MT

Rhysgiles
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:08 pm

Re: Rumbling sound on start up

Post by Rhysgiles » Fri May 25, 2018 12:14 am

Dr.Velasco wrote:Trying a thicker oil might solve this issue but cause others.

Something that might help is Liqui Moly MoS2 or Ceratec, I'm more inclined to the first one.

Worst case scenario is it does not fix this issue but your engine will run smoother!

When was your las oil change?
Thanks I’ll give that a whirl! I don’t suppose you know weather the oil control valve is a quick job and where it is located on the n47 engines, they are rather inexpensive so I can’t hurt to replace it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Dr.Velasco
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:14 pm

Re: Rumbling sound on start up

Post by Dr.Velasco » Fri May 25, 2018 3:08 pm

Sorry mate, can't help you on that one!!

Good luck!
2011 130i 6MT

Post Reply

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”