Baby BMW Forum banner

E87 vs E82 - child seat/space concern

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  sladoled 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have searched the forum, the opinions are different so I think it's best to ask directly and explain the problematics.

I have an unique opportunity to sell my E87 for quite good price. Better than I thought I could sell it for. My friend is buying, I was not planning to sell but the price.... :)

Anyway - here is my concern. I stumbled upon a great deal with a E82 coupe. I have a 2,5 year old kid. My problem is not putting her in with stepping into the car (I'm 5'9" tall, my girlfriend is 5'4"), but the cabine space. Is the amount of leg room similar or smaller in the E82?

We use a BeSafe Izi Comfort X3 child seat, with ISOFIX. Will the seat fit into the car? Does the E82 have significantly less leg room in the back? Is the cabin a lot smaller or is it similar?

I repeat - I don't have a problem with getting into the car (she'll be getting in by herself in a few months), I'm just concerned that the leg room for her in the back will be a problem or the "leg" of the child seat will putting the passenger seat too far up front.

OFC, I will try with the seat when I come across someone with a E82 but more people - more answers :)

See less See more
#3 ·
I had a E87 with a 5 and 2 year old. As you know it's fine.

My E82 has much less room in the back. My wife is 5,11 and I'm 6' so we have the seats back. My kids are always complaining that there's no room! Also there are only 2 seats in the back of the coupe so space is limited.

We have Msport seats in ours and they are quite chunky and we also like to have them reclined somewhat (even less room in the back) to ensure the driving positioning is comfortable.

Short answer is it'll be okay but probably not ideal.

I'm in SW London. You are welcome to bring your set up and try it in my E82. [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
My e82 houses my 5yr old me at 6'5 and my better half at 5'10 hes always sat passenger rear in any car he never complains other than when I drive slowly and not over take

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

#5 ·
marco_polo said:
Both cars' wheelbase and (therefore) rear legroom are identical. I'd seat her behind whichever adult has the shortest legs, and call that job done. :)

E82 is only a 4 seater though.
Not concerned about the 4 seats, nobody can seat behind anyway because our bulldog takes the throne right next to her :) So, if everything is identical it should fit. I'll try it.

Martin Keeton said:
sladoled said:
Hello,

I have searched the forum, the opinions are different so I think it's best to ask directly and explain the problematics.

I have an unique opportunity to sell my E87 for quite good price. Better than I thought I could sell it for. My friend is buying, I was not planning to sell but the price.... :)

Anyway - here is my concern. I stumbled upon a great deal with a E82 coupe. I have a 2,5 year old kid. My problem is not putting her in with stepping into the car (I'm 5'9" tall, my girlfriend is 5'4"), but the cabine space. Is the amount of leg room similar or smaller in the E82?

We use a BeSafe Izi Comfort X3 child seat, with ISOFIX. Will the seat fit into the car? Does the E82 have significantly less leg room in the back? Is the cabin a lot smaller or is it similar?

I repeat - I don't have a problem with getting into the car (she'll be getting in by herself in a few months), I'm just concerned that the leg room for her in the back will be a problem or the "leg" of the child seat will putting the passenger seat too far up front.

OFC, I will try with the seat when I come across someone with a E82 but more people - more answers :)

My E82 has much less room in the back. My wife is 5,11 and I'm 6' so we have the seats back. My kids are always complaining that there's no room! Also there are only 2 seats in the back of the coupe so space is limited.

We have Msport seats in ours and they are quite chunky and we also like to have them reclined somewhat (even less room in the back) to ensure the driving positioning is comfortable.

I'm in SW London. You are welcome to bring your set up and try it in my E82. [emoji1360]

Thank You, but I'm from Croatia so SW London is a bit far away :) I know some people here that drive 1 coupe's so I guess tryouts are in order! After all, I don't intend to keep the car for too long, I bought my first 1er two years ago, replaced it last year with a newer and more powerfull one so maybe it's time to do it again :)

Also, one more thing - one of the things I don't like is the lack of the ventilation for the back seats, unlike in the E90/F20 and other cars. Do the back windows open in any way? The Coupe I found does not have a sunroof so this can also be a concern....or?

The main reason I would change the car (except the great price I have on the table) is more boot space and an automatic transmission. The shifting in the city is killing me.

#6 ·
sladoled said:
marco_polo said:
Both cars' wheelbase and (therefore) rear legroom are identical. I'd seat her behind whichever adult has the shortest legs, and call that job done. :)

E82 is only a 4 seater though.
Not concerned about the 4 seats, nobody can seat behind anyway because our bulldog takes the throne right next to her :) So, if everything is identical it should fit. I'll try it.

Martin Keeton said:
sladoled said:
Hello,

Thank You, but I'm from Croatia so SW London is a bit far away :) I know some people here that drive 1 coupe's so I guess tryouts are in order! After all, I don't intend to keep the car for too long, I bought my first 1er two years ago, replaced it last year with a newer and more powerfull one so maybe it's time to do it again :)

Also, one more thing - one of the things I don't like is the lack of the ventilation for the back seats, unlike in the E90/F20 and other cars. Do the back windows open in any way? The Coupe I found does not have a sunroof so this can also be a concern....or?

The main reason I would change the car (except the great price I have on the table) is more boot space and an automatic transmission. The shifting in the city is killing me.
The windows in the rear are fixed units - not possible to open.

The climate control hits the rear cabin without any issues.

Totally agree re the Auto, it's the only thing I wish mine had!

#7 ·
I have a 3 year old in my E82, so long as the seat isn't rear facing, the lack of doors isn't too much of an issue, and no complaints about space.

Just bear in mind if you're thinking about having more kids in the near future, it's totally impractical to rear face on a rear seat in a coupe! For the last few years I've had mine in the front passenger seat (isofix) rear facing with the airbag turned off which some people dont like.

#8 ·
No intention oh having more kids :)

One more question - would not like to open a new topic regarding the question - the car i'll buy does have the professional head unit but no usb connection. To have it, all i have to do is buy a aux socket with usb port or is it a bit more of a problem with it?

Also, what is the situation with the bluetooth? Do i have to buy that bluetooth module and do the wiring in the car or?

Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.