Clay cloth/mitt

Bring back that shine to your BMW.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

DaleB90
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Clay cloth/mitt

Post by DaleB90 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:58 am

Hi guys what are peoples opinions on clay mitts as aposed to using a clay bar? I bought one for my current car but it can easily mar the paintwork, I don't think it's the finest grade available and with renault paintwork it might not be the best combo.

I was thinking of buying a finer grade clay mitt for the arrival of my new bmw as they do make the process of claying a car far quicker. However I would rather take longer with a clay bar if this will reduce the chance of marring.

Cheers!
M2 LCI DCT- B16 PSS10’s, BM3 stage 2, downpipe, Pure turbo inlet, panel filter, vrsf HD Intercooler.

M135i 8AT - gone

Blackroc
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Clay cloth/mitt

Post by Blackroc » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:08 am

Claying in general terms is the process of 'scraping your paint' - and is a really rough treatment, and will marr your paint as you mention. Clay bars, Clay cloths, clay mitts will all introduce some marring to paint - and as such I try and avoid it where possible unless absolutely necessary. Fine grades are better than medium grades but will still introduce fine marring.

Always soak your mitt / cloth in warm / hot water after use (helps break down the tar build up) and always 'break in' your cloth or mitt on glass before each use are the golden rules with these products..

I certainly don't clay new cars unless they are getting machine polished after for this very reason.

Plenty of fallout remover and tar / glue remover is all you need on a new car..

Ben GT
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Clay cloth/mitt

Post by Ben GT » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:24 am

I recently bought this http://www.halfords.com/motoring/cleani ... -clay-mitt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good value compared to most clay cloths I've seen and many many reviews on detailing world about how good it is
5 door 120D LCI ///M Sport + pack | Oyster Leather | Bum Toasters | Driver & Interior Comfort | Black Panel

sootyvrs

Post by sootyvrs » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:28 am

Ben GT wrote:I recently bought this http://www.halfords.com/motoring/cleani ... -clay-mitt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good value compared to most clay cloths I've seen and many many reviews on detailing world about how good it is
Funny how it says it lasts 5x longer than clay bars... I bin mine after one use so everything lasts longer :lol:
My BabyBMW's with some Pork inbetween :D
2018 F87 BMW M2 DCT
2017 F21 BMW M140i Auto
2015 F56 Mini Cooper S Man
2013 F20 BMW M135i Auto
2010 R56 Mini Cooper D Man
2007 E87 BMW 130i Man

Ben GT
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Ben GT » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:53 am

sootyvrs wrote:
Ben GT wrote:I recently bought this http://www.halfords.com/motoring/cleani ... -clay-mitt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Funny how it says it lasts 5x longer than clay bars... I bin mine after one use so everything lasts longer :lol:
I don't care about how long it lasts, hate claying! The cloth had the car done before i'd have normally managed to warm a clay bar though so I'd go for one every time now
5 door 120D LCI ///M Sport + pack | Oyster Leather | Bum Toasters | Driver & Interior Comfort | Black Panel

DaleB90
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by DaleB90 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:34 pm

Blackroc wrote:Claying in general terms is the process of 'scraping your paint' - and is a really rough treatment, and will marr your paint as you mention. Clay bars, Clay cloths, clay mitts will all introduce some marring to paint - and as such I try and avoid it where possible unless absolutely necessary. Fine grades are better than medium grades but will still introduce fine marring.

Always soak your mitt / cloth in warm / hot water after use (helps break down the tar build up) and always 'break in' your cloth or mitt on glass before each use are the golden rules with these products..

I certainly don't clay new cars unless they are getting machine polished after for this very reason.

When I come to the decontamination process I will just use tardis and iron x and leave out the clay stage.

Since my cars going to be glacier silver I'll be looking at getting a sealant. Probabaly go with tough prep/tough coat combo and maybe a layer of collinite 845 for extra protection.

I don't have a DA or rotary and the last thing I want is brand new car covered in marring, looks horrible!

Generally speaking is it normal for bmw paint to come swirl/blemish free from the factory?
M2 LCI DCT- B16 PSS10’s, BM3 stage 2, downpipe, Pure turbo inlet, panel filter, vrsf HD Intercooler.

M135i 8AT - gone

DaleB90
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by DaleB90 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:38 pm

Cheers :thumbs: should probably go get one soon while I remember and store it for future use.

M135i 8AT - gone

Tomo1rad
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Tomo1rad » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:07 pm

Clay mitt you can still use
If it falls on the floor, as long as it is rinsed.
Never used 1 always used a bar, the mega clay bar from halfords isn't too bad from them

Blackroc

Clay cloth/mitt

Post by Blackroc » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:38 pm

DaleB90 wrote:
Blackroc wrote:Claying in general terms is the process of 'scraping your paint' - and is a really rough treatment, and will marr your paint as you mention. Clay bars, Clay cloths, clay mitts will all introduce some marring to paint - and as such I try and avoid it where possible unless absolutely necessary. Fine grades are better than medium grades but will still introduce fine marring.

When I come to the decontamination process I will just use tardis and iron x and leave out the clay stage.

Since my cars going to be glacier silver I'll be looking at getting a sealant. Probabaly go with tough prep/tough coat combo and maybe a layer of collinite 845 for extra protection.

I don't have a DA or rotary and the last thing I want is brand new car covered in marring, looks horrible!

Generally speaking is it normal for bmw paint to come swirl/blemish free from the factory?
I've seen some good and some not so good!

New cars don't tend to come too badly swirled as such, but the paint clarity is not usually great.

I've seen lots of bird bomb evidence on front wings and bonnets though..and the odd scratch / mark.

Oh and fallout like you won't believe! Bonnet, front wings, door panels and boot are particularly bad!

Protection wise, whilst I like Tough Coat, it's durability lets it down badly. I've seen it gone in 6 weeks. Get GTechniq c2v3, AngelWax Ti-22 or CarChem Hydro Coat. All look great and last much longer than Tough Coat does..

DaleB90
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by DaleB90 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:43 pm

Blackroc wrote:
DaleB90 wrote:

I've seen some good and some not so good!

New cars don't tend to come too badly swirled as such, but the paint clarity is not usually great.

I've seen lots of bird bomb evidence on front wings and bonnets though..and the odd scratch / mark.

Oh and fallout like you won't believe! Bonnet, front wings, door panels and boot are particularly bad!

Protection wise, whilst I like Tough Coat, it's durability lets it down badly. I've seen it gone in 6 weeks. Get GTechniq c2v3, AngelWax Ti-22 or CarChem Hydro Coat. All look great and last much longer than Tough Coat does..

Looking on your site I notice there is a CarChem pre cleaner/hydro coat package. Would AF Tough Prep work with c2v3 or Ti-22 out of intrest?

Which brings me onto my next question, do all pre wax/sealant cleaners have fine polishing properties?

M135i 8AT - gone

Blackroc

Post by Blackroc » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:52 pm

DaleB90 wrote:[

Looking on your site I notice there is a CarChem pre cleaner/hydro coat package. Would AF Tough Prep work with c2v3 or Ti-22 out of intrest?

Which brings me onto my next question, do all pre wax/sealant cleaners have fine polishing properties?

I use AF Tough Prep with sealants, but will be dropping it when CarChems new PTFE polish is launched (edit - its been launched today but I cant order it yet!) Basically - you can apply any polish under a sealant, BUT standard polishes contains oils that stop the sealant bonding very well to your car - so protection levels can easily drop by half at least as a result. Tough Prep / CarChem Paint Cleanser is oil free, and designed to clean and leave a base for sealants to work at their best. As a result - use normal polishes (AG SRP / AF Tripple / AF Rejuvenate etc..) with waxes only 8)

DaleB90
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by DaleB90 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:50 am

Blackroc wrote:
DaleB90 wrote:[

I use AF Tough Prep with sealants, but will be dropping it when CarChems new PTFE polish is launched (edit - its been launched today but I cant order it yet!) Basically - you can apply any polish under a sealant, BUT standard polishes contains oils that stop the sealant bonding very well to your car - so protection levels can easily drop by half at least as a result. Tough Prep / CarChem Paint Cleanser is oil free, and designed to clean and leave a base for sealants to work at their best. As a result - use normal polishes (AG SRP / AF Tripple / AF Rejuvenate etc..) with waxes only 8)
Perfect! Now I need to decide which products to chose. Thanks for all your advice!

M135i 8AT - gone

smudgeh

Post by smudgeh » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:32 pm

Just going to add my +1 to this mitt. So far seems to be as good as a bar and easier to use. Won't be going back to a bar after this.
Current
2016 M135i LCI Auto F20
Glacier Silver, Coral Red Leather

Previous
2012 135i Convertible Sport Plus Edition DCT
Carbon Black/Black Boston Leather

CWM135
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by CWM135 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:22 pm

The halfords link dont work no more, was it the G3 mitt?

Would you use this like a microfibre wash mitt, so you would use minimal pressure and just glide across the paintwork?

I was watching the chemical guys youtube channel as they have something similar but theirs is £40!!!
2014 Estorial Blue M135 Auto - Adaptive - HK - Privacy Glass
2017 Alpine White M140 Auto - Adaptive - HK - Privacy Glass

SuperCNJ
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SuperCNJ » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:59 am

I've used my clay cloth a couple of times and it is a lot better than clay bar for getting at large areas quickly. But for really stubborn spots, I still use my clay bar which seems to be better.

Tip: I've been spending decent amount of money on clay lubrication but a mate was saying that you can just use diluted car wash shampoo.

Return to “Cleaning Products for your car”