Tesla model 3 performance (dual motor)

Post your comments, thoughts, pictures etc of non BMW 1 Series cars here.....

Moderators: marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196, Producethis

Nik Gnashers

Tesla model 3 performance (dual motor)

Post by Nik Gnashers »

These things are pretty nippy !

Went out for a countryside drive, and a nice chap in a 67 plate Tesla model 3 performance (not the S version I don't think anyway - it just had dual motor badge on the back, no S), followed me for a bit of fun.
Empty dual carriageway, he had a couple of pulls and surprisingly I was stuck to his bumper (I'm in an M140i mapped to about 410bhp (just over).
We went all the way round a roundabout and came back the same way with him following me this time, and I couldn't gap him.
I knew they were quick, but I was actually surprised that our cars were basically identical in performance.
If you are the nice gent, and see this post, thanks for the 15 mins of fun, appreciate it.

Looking online, this version has a 0-60 of 3.5 secs, but all pulls were when we were already rolling at 30mph ish.
Music & Cars & Music & Cars, and a bit of Boxing.

2017 M140i (410bhp & 576nm torque)

Tiberius
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Tesla model 3 performance (dual motor)

Post by Tiberius »

I think your power to weight ratios were equal which explains the comparable performance.
Cars:
-19' M140i SE, AW, MP LSD, Birds B1 Suspension(Adaptive delete), Heated Seats, Power Folding Mirrors, F&R PDC, Rev.Camera

-19' X3 20i M-Sport, Adaptive Suspenion, Pro Nav, Icon Headlights, Parking Assist Plus, Power Folding Mirrors

SamM140
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SamM140 »

They’re certainly not slow and it’s odd being able to accelerate that fast with zero drama.

Chap at work has one and loves it (his is the middle version). I think it’s bloody awful and the build ‘quality’ is pretty subpar.
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

Plus my other half’s 2007 116 cheapy project

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew »

I keep hearing mixed views on them. Personally I still see it as the car I might move to (have a couple of idea's on next car, but this is a big contender).

Some love them, but others say they leave them cold and the driving experience is sterile.

Performance at highway speed drops off dramatically and you'd pull away as the M140i still has bags of torque while the Tesla's is diminishing quickly, but you need to get into illegal speeds to see it happen which kind of makes it academic on the road.

Also the ludicrous mode apparently will wreck the drivetrain and only any use for the odd showoff for mates, as Porsche have liked to highlight with their marketing.
2017 M140i

SamM140
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SamM140 »

Barney McGrew wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:23 pm
I keep hearing mixed views on them. Personally I still see it as the car I might move to (have a couple of idea's on next car, but this is a big contender).

Some love them, but others say they leave them cold and the driving experience is sterile.

Performance at highway speed drops off dramatically and you'd pull away as the M140i still has bags of torque while the Tesla's is diminishing quickly, but you need to get into illegal speeds to see it happen which kind of makes it academic on the road.

Also the ludicrous mode apparently will wreck the drivetrain and only any use for the odd showoff for mates, as Porsche have liked to highlight with their marketing.
Chap at work will be £5k a year better off compared to his previous 320d, which over the four year period of our company car scheme is a no brainier...I’d put up with it for £20k! He loves it but he’s a gadget geek and isn’t really fussed about the actual car.

For me, I think it as ugly as sin and I struggle with the interior and everything being controlled through the big screen. The one thing my colleague has commented on is the lack of HUD / speedo directly in front of the driver. The vegan leather feels very thin and cheap too me...it makes BMW Dakota leather feel nice! :lol: The fit of the body panels is a joke; his drivers door sits so proud when it’s closed, it looks like it’s only just on the latch. Nothing he cares about because it’s not actually his car,
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

Plus my other half’s 2007 116 cheapy project

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew »

SamM140 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:45 pm
Nothing he cares about because it’s not actually his car,
Yeah I think a lot of Tesla 'owners' are actually company cars so they're the same. I prefer to take the allowance and get the car I want (the 140 would have been a nightmare in tax through the company scheme).

I'm keeping up on the EV market though - at the moment the Renault Zoe is looking like the best affordable EV, but I said I never own a Renault again after a Clio I had many many years ago.

The trouble is most affordable EV's are simply too boring. We really need a 'drivers car', even a MX5 or something would get people more interested I reckon as affordable sporty EV's with an emphasis on enjoyment rather than being too interested in the level of brake regeneration you're getting.

I'd like the Mini electric, but at nearly 30k on the road that's not what I'd call affordable and I wouldn't want to blow too much on an EV until I know depreciation of EV's isn't going to be a major issue.

Also, the M140i gives me such a smile still, I think it's going to be hard to give that up.
2017 M140i

Nik Gnashers

Post by Nik Gnashers »

Barney McGrew wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:23 pm

Well,
We were on a dual carriageway, with no traffic at times, so we were having a proper go.
I suspect it was a Tesla Model 3 performance, as the 'normal' long range dual motor version, does 0-60 in 4.6 and 145 mph max , which I would have thought might have struggled to stay with me.
The performance version does 0-60 in 3.7 secs and on to 155mph max, and has 660nm torque.
This seems to be plenty, and it was stuck to my bumper from 30mph up to an indicated 145mph. It couldn't pull any gap to me when I was following, and I couldn't pull away when it was following me.
There was no drop off in performance as the speed rose, we were literally identical, and seeing as my M140i has 576nm torque, and over 400bhp, this (with my weight advantage) would suggest equal performance.

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew »

Nik Gnashers wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:36 pm
This seems to be plenty, and it was stuck to my bumper from 30mph up to an indicated 145mph.
Er, I presume you live in Germany then since we're on a public forum........

Anyway, I'm surprised by that but as looking at the torque curve on Tesla's it falls away massively once they get over 40 mph, but I guess on the road they have enough left to still keep going - also the loss of torque though the 140's gearing might be similar so more matched than you think on the road, interesting to hear that.

Either way, just look at how the range is effected by speed and you'll see why they couldn't do that for very long, so you still win :wink:

2017 M140i

Nik Gnashers

Post by Nik Gnashers »

Barney McGrew wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:36 am
Nik Gnashers wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:36 pm
This seems to be plenty, and it was stuck to my bumper from 30mph up to an indicated 145mph.
Er, I presume you live in Germany then since we're on a public forum........

Anyway, I'm surprised by that but as looking at the torque curve on Tesla's it falls away massively once they get over 40 mph, but I guess on the road they have enough left to still keep going - also the loss of torque though the 140's gearing might be similar so more matched than you think on the road, interesting to hear that.

Either way, just look at how the range is effected by speed and you'll see why they couldn't do that for very long, so you still win :wink:

LOL Yes after our little 3 or 4 mile jaunt, he did head back the way he came, so probably went to charge his battery !
That graph is for the 'normal' dual motor long range battery, not the performance model, so maybe the performance has a slower torque drop off rate ?
I'd estimate the Tesla weighs a fair bit more too.
Saying that, I don't think my MPG would be much to shout about :-)
Edit, found a model 3 performance dyno print out.

Looks like 463HP and 494ft torque, so more bhp but less torque compared to mine (but also heavier).

sir richard large
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by sir richard large »

i've put 10000km on my model 3 performance. its acceleration is staggering. 0-60 in 3.2 around. with recent updates, peak motor hp is 550hp or north.

this dyno is wheel hp, before recent updates, and start of graph is with partial power so not showing its full potential. percentages on colored lines represent battery state of charge.

while HP tapers with speed (its a single forward-gear) , even doing a 60-90mph pull, its doing it with a ton of horsepower under the curve (410hp avg). it wouldnt trail most cars on the road unless the race starts at 80, 90 and upwards.

as a vehicle it is quite fantastic. ive got zero issues with perceived-quality. the day to day living with it is superb. nav system puts idrive to shame. if you want to go to e.g. Tesco, you touch (1) search bar, touch (2) "T", touch (3) "E", and 90% chance the instant search results shows exactly what you want. as opposed to clicking to navigation, clicking new address, click to confirm country/city, click click click click to input address or run a hapless search with terrible results.

as an enthusiast vehicle... it falls short. rapid acceleration is a cheap thrill. theres no aural sensation of a screaming motor. no user engagement of swapping a cog. no anticipation of a shift. no mechanical snap of a gear change. steering is completely artificial (though car moves extremely well for its weight).

its the difference between taking a photo of a "real" camera and snapping a shot with an iphone.

Tiberius
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Tiberius »

^^
It's super easy to live with isn't it? I was a huge fan of thr large touch screen when I drove a friend's model s for a week.

I will likely end up in a model 3 in 3-4 years when battery tech has taken a big leap forward.
Cars:
-19' M140i SE, AW, MP LSD, Birds B1 Suspension(Adaptive delete), Heated Seats, Power Folding Mirrors, F&R PDC, Rev.Camera

-19' X3 20i M-Sport, Adaptive Suspenion, Pro Nav, Icon Headlights, Parking Assist Plus, Power Folding Mirrors

sir richard large
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Tiberius wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:58 pm
^^
It's super easy to live with isn't it? I was a huge fan of thr large touch screen when I drove a friend's model s for a week.

I will likely end up in a model 3 in 3-4 years when battery tech has taken a big leap forward.
the nice stuff are the non-obvious things people never talk about: like how if you need to move the car down the driveway, you dont feel bad for not having warmed up the motor and burning off carbon deposits. driving around town you glide along using a single pedal (due to regen) and the quietness makes the car virtually disappear.

if you lease/pcp the car, no worries about longevity of the battery. :spotman: but you might miss the audio pleasure and theatre of that bassy bmw i6 cold start-up.

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew »

sir richard large wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:14 pm
the nice stuff are the non-obvious things people never talk about: like how if you need to move the car down the driveway, you dont feel bad for not having warmed up the motor and burning off carbon deposits. driving around town you glide along using a single pedal (due to regen) and the quietness makes the car virtually disappear.
This is why I'll probably get one in a year or two - we're a 2 car household, but having an EV and an ICE sort of gives the best of both worlds. For short trips and local plodding the EV's ideal, whereas for distance and holidays the petrol gives the benefit of long distance without the need to wait at charging stations.

Bought the M140i outright, but don't really want to do that with an EV, still not sure whether to wait for a used Model 3 or just go new with finance deal on something like a Hyundai Kona which will be more practical with us having a big dog slouched on the back seats.
2017 M140i

Tiberius
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Tiberius »

sir richard large wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:14 pm
Tiberius wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:58 pm
^^

if you lease/pcp the car, no worries about longevity of the battery. :spotman: but you might miss the audio pleasure and theatre of that bassy bmw i6 cold start-up.
If I buy a Tesla i would want to own an ICE car along side it.
Cars:

sir richard large
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Tiberius wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:11 pm

If I buy a Tesla i would want to own an ICE car along side it.
definitely. small, rwd, and preferably with 3 pedals...

Return to “Other Cars”