Anyone Done Laser Engraving?

Can't decide on what factory or dealer options to go with?
Not sure what a specific option does?
Post your thoughts in here

Moderators: marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196, Producethis

msej449
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Anyone Done Laser Engraving?

Post by msej449 »

I've recently bought a Cubiio portable laser engraver. Tried it out on the underside (invisible, just in case) of my leather headrest and got better than expected results (below) and yes, I know, we already have too many 'M' logos but it's easy to draw.

The next thing I wanted to do was to engrave some trim, the most obvious being the wedge on the passenger side dash. What I've found so far is that the best surface to etch is non-shiny/non-gloss, light-ish-coloured. Most woods works fine, although lighter ones show the black lines/hatching better. So, definitely not my current high gloss black.

Upside of the Cubiio is it's portable and can run off a mobile battery store. Downside is the etching area ia only 10cm x 10cm so it favours repeatable graphics rather than anything continuous. But it is quite impressive in the range of graphics it can do - it would certainly need a very skilled woodcarver to scribe the same graphics by hand.

I just wondered if anyone had given this a go already and could offer any advice?
2016 M235i Convertible Estoril Blue, Oyster+HGB; BMW M Performance LSD

nazali

Re: Anyone Done Laser Engraving?

Post by nazali »

not really a fan, though it looks cool, I would have had it in a different color, almost an invisible colour

M3AN
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Anyone Done Laser Engraving?

Post by M3AN »

Do it...
etchedexhaust.jpg
etchedexhaust.jpg (219.92 KiB) Viewed 68 times
Daily: E87 LCI 130iA Motorsport w/HPAS + LSD, Coilovers, M3 FCA's & ARB, Stainless 'Y' Exhaust & Backbox, NRW Shifters, 280hp Tune | Weekends: M3

Return to “BMW OEM Options & Accessories”