Apple Carplay in 2018 F22- Connected Drive says "not available for your vehicle"

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196, Producethis

danfe

Apple Carplay in 2018 F22- Connected Drive says "not available for your vehicle"

Post by danfe »

Hi.

Looking at a 2018 M240 which has connected drive, online entertainment, and pro nav. I've put the VIN in to the Connect Drive website and whilst a few of the options are available, for carplay it states "not available for your vehicle". I haven't been able to check the car to see if its already been enabled.

My understanding was that for any cars after 2017, it was simply a case of enabling it. Is this the case, or do I actually need to get hardware retrofitted. I'd rather go down the official route if it makes any difference.

danfe

Re: Apple Carplay in 2018 F22- Connected Drive says "not available for your vehicle"

Post by danfe »

I've done a bit more searching and it looks like as it doesn't have enhanced bluetooth, I can't get it from the connected drive store. I've seen that I can go the aftermarket route, but there are concerns with software updates and/or bricked idrive/warranty concerns. I've seen that BMW will supply an official FSC code which is a bit more expensive, but how do I get one? I know that I'd need the wifi cable fitted, but I'm after a permanent ish solution that isn't going to cause issues.

padders
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Apple Carplay in 2018 F22- Connected Drive says "not available for your vehicle"

Post by padders »

If CP is a must have option, might it not be better to find a car with it fitted? The problem with aftermarket bodges is exactly as you say, there is the chance that you lose it the next time a dealer gets their mits on the car. I have it, and while it was expensive to spec feel it is worth it. Off the top of my head you need EBT and maybe the charger in the arm rest as prerequisites.
Last edited by padders on Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current: M240i in MG with Cognac interior, Pro Nav, HK, Adaptive Shocks, MP-LSD, Sunroof, Active Cruise, CarPlay etc etc
Now gone: EB LCI 125d F20 8HP50: Oyster Leather, Active Cruise and Adaptive Suspension, PDC F&R, Folding mirrors, Pro Nav

danfe

Post by danfe »

It’s not a must, because I can still listen to music via Bluetooth anyway, but it’s a would like. Looking at it, I’d probably be alright with the enhanced Bluetooth. It’s an 05/18 build date, is it likely to have the WiFi antenna already?

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”