music volume decreases after auto start

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196, Producethis

frustrated

music volume decreases after auto start

Post by frustrated »

Hi All

When playing music over Bluetooth the volume decreases after an auto start. Has anyone else experienced this?

It drops to around 60% of the volume control range but only does this if the music volume is above the 60% mark.

I have played with the speed volume setting but turning this to maximum or minimum makes no difference.

I will check to see if this also occurs when listening to the radio and other audio sources but I was hoping someone could help me find a way to turn this annoying feature off.

Thank you.

R99
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: music volume decreases after auto start

Post by R99 »

I had a 2 series Active Tourer for a day, and it did this even with the radio playing.

I was demented after a day - no way I could live with that!

If its a new feature, then BMW have royally f*cked up!!!

Hope you find a fix :)
2016 F31 330d M Sport Touring
Individual Pure Blue | Oyster Leather | M3 Mirrors | MP Kidney Grilles | ID6 | Custom Steering Wheel |

frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Thanks R99. This is driving me mad.

I know dorsetred has an active tourer. Maybe he found a way??

The other option I can think of is coding. Does anyone know if this is a possibility?

Thanks

rodgertdodger

Post by rodgertdodger »

I found it was the equaliser on my phone decreased the volume for some reason. Switched equaliser off and volume increased. Nexus 6p

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: M140i Black Sapphire, 3dr, Manual, Coral, Comfort Pack
Ex: F20 120d Sport, E90 318d M Sport, E90 320i SE

frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Hi rodgertdodger

Thanks for the reply. I checked my phone and have EQ, volume limit and sound check options all off.

Any other suggestions out there?

Thanks.

frustrated

Post by frustrated »

The volume decreases with the radio also so this is an idrive issue not an iPhone issue.

frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Hi

I went a saw my local BMW genius about this today. Apparently the car needs a specific amount of power for the auto start to work. When the audio volume is turned up, more power goes to the speakers increasing the volume.

When an auto start occurs this power is required and taken back from the audio resulting in the volume reduction.

In a nutshell the car battery power cannot handle both high volume and auto start at the same time.

I do not know much about auto start but would like to know if the above sounds correct.

Thanks for the help.

ogee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ogee »

frustrated wrote:Hi

I went a saw my local BMW genius about this today. Apparently the car needs a specific amount of power for the auto start to work. When the audio volume is turned up, more power goes to the speakers increasing the volume.

When an auto start occurs this power is required and taken back from the audio resulting in the volume reduction.

In a nutshell the car battery power cannot handle both high volume and auto start at the same time.

I do not know much about auto start but would like to know if the above sounds correct.

Thanks for the help.
Doesn't make sense to me. The stereo doesn't use that much power.
2005 120dA E87 - Sparkling Graphite with some goodies (A22 LHA1 2KC 2MH 226 235 249 255 319 322 403 423 430 431 434 468 473 481 488 493 494 5DC 502 508 520 521 522 534 540 563 609 644 672 677 7RP 7RT MUEB ZBEP)

frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Hi ogee

I sensed an air of 'fobbing off' in his answer which is why I posted to get other opinions.

Hmm... Still none the wiser on this.

spl23
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by spl23 »

Sounds like bullsh*t to me - auto stop-start on my F20 LCI doesn't change the stereo volume in the slightest, and I'd be complaining very loudly if it did!

The volume on mine does reduce whenever I stop the engine and get out and lock the car; there seems to be a feature designed to not deafen you if you had the stereo on loudly when you last used it and come back to it later - it sounds from what you say as if that feature is cutting in when the auto stop-start activates, which it really shouldn't.
2015 F20 LCI 125i

stever_ss
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by stever_ss »

spl23 wrote:The volume on mine does reduce whenever I stop the engine and get out and lock the car; there seems to be a feature designed to not deafen you if you had the stereo on loudly when you last used it and come back to it later - it sounds from what you say as if that feature is cutting in when the auto stop-start activates, which it really shouldn't.
^This is what I was thinking, but the radio doesn't turn off when the S/S kicks in. If I get a chance I'll try and do some tests in the Mrs' F45 over the weekend.
F22 M235i /// Mineral Grey /// 8AT /// Pro Media /// HK Audio /// Adaptive /// Cruise & PDC /// Folding mirrors /// Heated Seats

Hers: F45 218i SE /// Mediterranean Blue /// Nav /// Cruise
Happy memories: E82 125i Sport+ /// Le Mans Blue

spl23

Post by spl23 »

I checked this in my F20 LCI today, and even with the stereo turned up to 75% or so, there was no change in volume when the auto stop-start kicked in. Something's not right with your car if it's doing that.
2015 F20 LCI 125i

ScottBMW

Post by ScottBMW »

Hi, did you ever determine the fault and solution? I’m discovering the same issue on a 2015 F46.
frustrated wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:10 pm
Hi All

When playing music over Bluetooth the volume decreases after an auto start. Has anyone else experienced this?

It drops to around 60% of the volume control range but only does this if the music volume is above the 60% mark.

I have played with the speed volume setting but turning this to maximum or minimum makes no difference.

I will check to see if this also occurs when listening to the radio and other audio sources but I was hoping someone could help me find a way to turn this annoying feature off.

Thank you.

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”