Cheapy E87 116 run about

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196, Producethis

pem10
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Cheapy E87 116 run about

Post by pem10 »

You must have been feeling really guilty about flogging her beloved mini :lol:

However fair play to you it looks like a different car.

Many browny points earnt I think :kiss:
130i se. Sparkling graphite metallic. Xenons - darklines - roof spoiler - focal IFBMW-S -bmwp intake and exhaust - b12 pro - M140 front brakes - whiteline inserts - M3lcas - OZ Ultraleggera

SamM140
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SamM140 »

pem10 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:46 pm
You must have been feeling really guilty about flogging her beloved mini :lol:

However fair play to you it looks like a different car.

Many browny points earnt I think :kiss:
Ha ha. The guilt passed pretty quickly when I colllectee my 140! :lol:

I’ve quite enjoyed mucking about with it to be honest and it’s now pretty good for a cheapy little run about. She’s very happy so it’s all good.
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

Plus my other half’s 2007 116 cheapy project

Tiberius
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Tiberius »

Nice! You should upscale and flip used cars for a living. I agree about the reversing camera only if you get source a very wide angle one, if not then sensors are superior for collision avoidance.
Cars:
-19' M140i SE, AW, MP LSD, Birds B1 Suspension(Adaptive delete), Heated Seats, Power Folding Mirrors, F&R PDC, Rev.Camera

-19' X3 20i M-Sport, Adaptive Suspenion, Pro Nav, Icon Headlights, Parking Assist Plus, Power Folding Mirrors

SamM140
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SamM140 »

As there’s sweet FA else todo at the weekend now, I decided to give the little 116 a spring clean....

Rinse, snow foam, wash, decontaminate (iron X and tax X), wash gain, clay, machine polish, clay bar, glaze topped off with two coats of Dodo Juice Supernatural. Wheels were coated a few times with Poorboys sealant and leather cleaned and treated. Doesn’t come up too bad for a car that has just turned 13 and hasn’t seen wax since it was PDI’d before last summer.

First pictures are after it’s been polished

And all finished...

I was supposed to be getting the wheels refurbed at the mo, but that’s on the back burner for now. Next jobs will be;

Return headlight glass
New side repeaters
Paint the brake callipers / wheel carriers
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

SamM140
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SamM140 »

Planning on getting a few bits sorted over the newly few weeks on the little E87.

First job tackles today; the manky air vents. I’m not sure what happened but the finish went a bit funny / stained and it really let the interior down. Here are a couple of pics;

I initially tracked down a new set from eBay but the two side vents were still manky (looked ok in the photos). The central vents were good though.

Plan b; I dismantled the units, removed the stained seats and painted them with Plasticote. I think they’ve turned out pretty well.

It makes the dash look much much better.

The wheels are off to be refurbed on Monday in light gunmetal. The newly finished wheels will be back for next weekend so I’ll get them coated and popped on.

I’ve also taken delivery of some calliper paint, so whilst I’m off over half term I’ll get the callipers painted. I’ll clean out all of the wheel arches while I’m at it too.

The last job I plan to tackle is the weak washer jets. My parents in law did manage to block the system once before by mixing any old screenwash. The front jets are really weak, so I’ll take the bottle out and see if cleaning the pipes and filters out help.
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

SamM140
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SamM140 »

I dropped the wheels off earlier this week to be refurbed and picked them up today. They’ve been refinished in pale gunmetal and I’m pleased with them especially for £150.

I’ll get them sealed over the weekend and will pop their in once the car is cleaned. They should look pretty good on it.

Planning to get the callipers painted next week whilst I’m on leave.
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

SamM140
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SamM140 »

I spent Saturday morning sealing the wheels before fitting them yesterday after giving the car a quick wash.

The two coats of Dodo Supernatural topped up with a coat of Sonax BSD are still giving really good results. Beading is good and my snow foam just slides off the car.

The newly painted wheels really shows up the hubs / callipers so I’ll get them painted this week.
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

SamM140
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SamM140 »

Having sorted out the refurbed wheels, I turned my attention to the callipers / hubs....what a sh*t job that turned out to be. It was made far worse by not having axle stands, being a bale to get all four wheels off at a time would have made my life much easier. Oh well.

I used a Por15 kit which came with a degreaser, rust treatment etc. I’ve gone from four of these.

To four of these

I think it’s a decent improvement especially against the refurbed wheels. I also used the opportunity to clean out the wheel arches etc which were pretty grim.

I had a little supervisor / helper too.

Next jobs are;

Replace the DAB arial because the one supplied with the double din kit has died.

Sort the floppy fuel filter flap. It works as it is, but it bugs use both.

Sort the weak washer jets. I’m not looking forward to this job so much.
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

Return to “Members Cars”