Baby BMW Forum banner

Black Little M

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Octavius 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

After reading this forum on and off over the last few years, I thought it's finally time I make an account and show my latest little "toy".

After a few weeks of internal debate and online searches, I decided to get my third one series in the last 5 years and for the first time in about 30 years, I made the change from a Diesel engine back to Petrol.

So I bought a 2019, M140i.

It comes as my third BMW after a 2010 E87 120d and a 2015 F20 125d so in a way the LCI version feels like a natural upgrade at this point. :lol2:

I've spent the last couple of weeks reading this forum, driving it around and creating an ever-growing list of modifications I want to bring to the car.

First ones to go will be the wheels. Or well...not go completely, I think I will keep the current rims as winter ones and I already have on the way a set of 18" rims and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 are already in the garage. :D

As more bits and bobs come through the mail and I find the time to fit them to the car, I will post the updates here.

In the meantime, here are some pictures with the car as it was when I got it :)

See less See more
#2 ·
(Short) story time...

As previously mentioned, I was looking for some new 18" rims to fit to the car and then use the existing ones as winter tires. Took a bit of searching online, took a few too many phone calls but finally my rims were on their way.

Got a bit lost in transition, eventually found, reshipped, a lot of back and forth but finally today they arrived on my doorstep!

18" 8.5J ET47. By all my measurements, all good. Even fitted them to the car and all nice.

When I was about to pull away...issue: The rims were touching in the brake callipers. Not fun.

Old rims and tires back on, now I'm on the look for the smallest set of spacers that I can find and hopefully the rims wont stick out too much or touch the wheel arch.

On the backside of the car it already looked pretty flush...currently looking at some 5mm spacers to see if they will save the day.

#6 ·
While I'm waiting for the spacers and wheel bolts to arrive (hopefully by this time next week), I had a look through my living room which at the moment is the main storage area for all the car-related parcels. After a bit of digging around I found a box containing my "carbon" sport mirror caps:

Having had a rough day at the office, I met up with a friend and we both decided to have a go at the existing mirror caps to blow off some steam.

Luckily, we managed not to break the mirrors or any clasps and now the car has a nice pair of mirror caps.

More bits and pieces to come to the car in the next couple of weeks :)

#7 ·
So a few more updates:

The wheel spacers and longer wheel bolts are further delayed and I'm currently not sure when they will arrive. Hopefully Monday will be my lucky day.

In the meantime, I found some time to go by my local garage and the guys there helped me fit a another one of the components that was sitting randomly in my living room, taking up space:

The Motech Pipercross intake.

I didn't buy this for the performance benefits as I don't expect the intake itself to change the behaviour of the car, however I did buy it for the sound.

First impressions after a few days of playing with it:

- in the very low revs (<2000) the engine sounds a bit louder and and has a lower tone (if that even makes sense)
- above 2000 you can hear the nice little "swoosh" sounds as it's sucking in the air all the way up to around 3-3500 rpm when I guess the rest of the engine gets too loud for the intake to be heard
- in a (kinda) gentle acceleration with the car and transmission in comfort, you can hear almost like a blow-off sound when it changes gears for a split second, which is a nice bonus.

All in all, for the pure sound effect, I'm satisfied with it! :)

#8 ·
Open air filter just above the turbo - hmmmm that's going to make yr chargecooler work overtime.

If sound is above performance, then ignore my comment above.

FWIW, I ran oem F3x 18" style 397's on my car 8" et 34mm F and 8.5" et 47mm R and had zero clash F&R.

#10 ·
Congrats on the car. Did they multispoke alloys come with the car from factory? I have never seen them on an mlite before.

The laquer on CF parts can be thin. Wing mirror caps, especially tend to take a beating. I recommend PPF for thr wing mirror caps.

#11 ·
Thank you!

Yes, the grey ones in the first set of pics came on the car when I bought it from the dealer...they're 17inches with winter tyres on.
The black ones are the one that I wrongly bought and I'm trying to fix now.

Thanks for the hint regarding the lacquer. To be honest, the mirror caps are not pure CF, just a "good" plastic replica so it shouldn't be an issue.

But in any case, later this week I'm getting the car into the service for a few days to wrap a few bits and bobs so will probably do that anyway :)

Will keep everyone posted on what's next to come on this little toy :)

#12 ·
Speaking of things to come...

Yesterday, my local garage found the time to help me sort out a little piece I've been looking forward to for a few weeks now: a Maxton Design rear diffuser, with a carbon fibre finish!

Installation was a bit trickier than it first looked on the instructions, but in the end it is now successfully mounted and I also got a pair of little "side flaps" (or not sure how to call them) that I think go well with the diffuser. :)

Later in the week I'll try to make my way to the front of the car and show it some love on that side as well.

#13 ·
A little something for the front of the car as well.

Taking advantage of some free time this week, I also managed to fix the Maxton Design front lip that's been sitting around the house for a few weeks now. Again, Carbon Fibre finish.

Quite happy with the way it looks right now but I have some more things planned for this weekend which should make the car stand out a bit more...hopefully in a good way :lol2:

#14 ·
So, I think I'm finally getting somewhere with this car :D

Over the last few days, the car has been gone to the "Beauty shop" getting a few things done. Starting from front to back:

- Clear wrap on the headlights to protect them in the long run
- A set of "eyebrows" that are wrapped in the same colour as the bonnet, on top of the headlights
- A pair of matte-electric-blue stripes from the bonnet all the way to the backside
- The grey bits on the front bumper also got wrapped in blue
- The back windows got a black tint on them
- The chromed ring around the BMW badge on the back got wrapped in black
- Mounted a carbon rear spoiler from CarbonAccents in the UK

I know it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I personally really like the look of the car right now. There are a few more things that need to be done, wheels should finally be on this week, but overall, the car almost has its "summer look" now :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.