More comfort for 118d M Sport

All other aftermarket mods

Moderators: marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196, Producethis

wfdTamar

More comfort for 118d M Sport

Post by wfdTamar »

2015 118d 110 kw M Sport suspension with 18" wheels. I find the ride too harsh as I suppose now I am officially an old fart. I should really have got one with 16 or 17" wheels on standard suspension.

A way I've considered to remedy this is either put 17" wheels on, or Koni Active shocks (with the 18" wheels). I have Koni FSD (the previous version) on my Skoda Octavia with 18" wheels and it's pretty good. Cost will be about £600 pus a wheel alignment.

I've found on the Koni site they mention a standard version and another for M-Technik equiped cars. I'm fairly new to BMW speak - is that M Sport?

8745-1356 Front
8245-1357 Rear

http://www.koni.com/en-US/Cars/Products/Catalog/

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: More comfort for 118d M Sport

Post by marco_polo »

Lets start at the start, are you still using Runcrap tyres?

If so, swapping to 17" Style 379 M Sport wheels and proper tyres will make a huge difference. You'll probably be able to sell the old wheels to fund the swap.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

wfdTamar

Post by wfdTamar »

Yes runflats. Staggered wheel sizes. (Also sport seats). The Koni Actives will cost £525 (Includes shipping to Australia). I reckon I’ll try that first, then a wheel change if that’s not enough. That way the car still looks the part. I know changing the wheels is far easier and that had been my first thought too. I’ve seen used wheel sets with decent tires on eBay usually around £4-500. Most likely from people putting on wheels like what I have now :-)

The car also has a TPMS so I’d want to swap the sensors from old to new wheels which adds a little cost (Maybe £15-30 per wheel).

I have been trying to sell the car, but that’s hopeless with Covid. Theres a number of niggardly little things I didn't pick up on besides the ride - I don't find the sports seats that comfortable, nowhere to rest your right foot when on cruise control, the window switches are too far back. I can probably live with those if the ride is fixed.
Last edited by wfdTamar on Mon May 18, 2020 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

If you're changing the dampers, I'd recommend considering slightly shorter rear bumpstops while it's all apart.

Part number 33536859769 , just helps remove some of that harsh rear pogo.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

wfdTamar

Post by wfdTamar »

Presumably more travel before it hits bump stops - the tradeoff being a harsher bump if you do hit them?

Current height from wheel arch to wheel centre is 360mm and this is the bump stop installed:
Last edited by wfdTamar on Tue May 19, 2020 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
2015 BMW 118d M Sport - Tasmania, Australia

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

Probably. If the old ones are in tip-top condition, you could possibly achieve a similar benefit from shaving a couple of mm off the originals? Food for thought.

Tyres are still the main problem though - with walls so solid you can drive on them fully deflated for miles and miles. Even on 18" alloys, swapping to a more comfortable performance tyre like Goodyear Asym 5's or Michelin PS4 would make a world of difference, more grip/traction too.

wfdTamar

Post by wfdTamar »

This is the stop: Image

It's only done 50,000km and Australia is far easier on car undersides than the UK (unless you're near the sea).

Yes, could go to normal tyres soon as they're not too far off needing replacing. What's your favoured way of handling a flat though - space saver spare, or the tube of goo (which can mess with the TPMS sensor) and compressor?

Part no looks like 8353.6854709-91
Last edited by wfdTamar on Tue May 19, 2020 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

That number means nothing to me I'm afraid, zero hits on the internet either. It was only a thought. Doesn't look like your bumps have been taking a bashing, I was expecting to see:

Tyres, then dampers are the main ride issues. I carry a goop kit myself, to partner the proper tyres. It's standard factory equipment for cars like mine which aren't infected with Runcraps from new.

Regarding the Cruise Control, I use the accelerator pedal as a foot rest, touching it (or using the clutch) doesn't turn the CC off (only the brake).

wfdTamar

Post by wfdTamar »

The first number is a 3, but I still can't find it on google even changing the last few which aren't clear. Looks like some I've seen googling that say they're for the sports suspension. part way between the really minimal one you first mentioned and the standard.

Can't remember when I last had a flat, but you still need to be prepared. I've tried using the wheel arch as a rest, but it's not great. I'll see what the pedal is like. My Octavia has proper foot rest both sides which is great.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

If you're finding the window switches too far back, I'm wondering if your steering wheel is pushed too far into the dashboard?

Most people have it pulled (basically) all the way out with the seat moved back to suit. Makes the seat feel more comfortable too, if you're not curled up in a tiny space with your knees around your ears

wfdTamar

Post by wfdTamar »

I reckon it might be me. I have shortish legs for my height (5'10"). Yes, that'll be it. So the seat is closer than other people my height might have it, which means my hand is too far forward. (making myself sound like an orangutang)

Even if I move the seat back so my elbow is only just on the armrest the front window buttons are under the 'heel' of my hand. There's no way to be able to easily use the window buttons and use the arm rest while driving unless you have very short forearms and small hands.

Again, no problem in the Octavia. The ergonomics in that are much better. It's also a slightly bigger car.

Return to “Aftermarket modifications”