How to change internal leds

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196, Producethis

typergaz
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

How to change internal leds

Post by typergaz »

Hi all after changing all my leds in the inside of my e82 and getting a bit of interest i thought it would be a good idea to do a little guide on how i did mine. please note this is just a guide on how i did mine there might be better easier ways if there is please comment.

You will need to be good at soldering to do this and i accept no responsibility if you damage anything if you choose to attempt this on your own car.

Before you start you will need around 70 plcc2 3528 led's i got 50 then ran out and i had to buy another 50. And you will need 50, 0805 and 50, 0603 smd led's i got them all off ebay it cost around £15 for the lot. I chose white colour but that is your preference. You will also need some white plastic for the display on radio and climate control read on and you will see in the pictures what i mean.

Tools needed are t20 torx, terminal screwdriver, cross head screwdriver, flat head screwdriver, pair of tweezers, soldering iron, heat gun, some solder and a solder sucker or de-solder wick and a red sharpie marker pen or red nail varnish.

Right lets get started on the clocks, there are 2 t20 torx screws that hold the clocks in at the top of the clocks remove these and using a screwdriver pull the clocks towards you and it will come straight out (you may need to lower the steering wheel to get them out) there are 2 wiring plugs on the back of the clocks unclip them and remove the clocks.

Once clocks are out you need to strip them down if you look around the casing you will see about 6-8 clips carefully unclip them and the front should come away and you will be left with the dials.

Carefully remove the needles i used a pair of long nosed bent pliers once these are removed they will need colouring if you want them red ect. They will need a couple of coats if using a marker pen so start on these straight away i allready done mine in the pick i just stripped them down again to take some picks for the guide.

Once the needles are off you need to remove the back cover do this by using a small screwdriver in the wiring plug thing both sides.

Once the back is off you need to remove the ribon cable for the lcd there are little tabs on each side pull these out carefully and remove the ribbion cable.

Then look on the outside of the circuit board and there are a few little tabs simply push these out and the white plastic part will come away.

You should be left with the circuit board.

ive allready changed the leds in the pics but the ones that need to be changed are the ones round the needles and the ones i have marked with red marker pen the white leds have a yellow top. Please make a note of the polarity before removing the led for the clocks tou need plcc2 3528 if you look at them they have a little cut out of the corner make sure you put them the right way round or they will not work, i tried to take a pick but you couldnt make it out at they are quite small.

to remove these heat one side with the soldering iron and using a pair of tweezers lift that side and it should come away from the board then heat the other side and remove the led. Once removed its a good idea to heat the pads to level out the solder then solder in the new led's. Once all leds are fitted its a good idea to test them so go out to the car and plug it into the car.

If they are all working its time ti put the clocks back together and as they say just do the oppersit to stripping down the clocks. When refitting the needles carefully press them on a little bit halfway on there cycle eg about 100mph on the speedo and turn them back to zero to ensure they are fully at the zero point. Once you are happy push them all the way back on. Refit the clocks.

Now move on to the radio and climate control and the parking sensor and stop start buttons. Gently feel above the ashtray and you will feel a gap pull and it will come away you will need to put a small screwdriver in the sides of the climate control to remove this once out unclip wiring plugs and remove.

Once out you need to remove the 2 cross head screws that hold the radio in when they are out the silver trim needs removing i did this by pulling a flat head screwdriver in and gently lifting once you got a little gap use your hands and pull it up

Tjen the radio should be free there are 2 plugs one for wiring and 1 for the aerial unclip and remove radio.

Remove the top cover of the radio there are 3 little screws on the top remove these and genky prise the cover off.

Now you can do this 2 ways either remove the heatsink off the side of the radio to gain access to the screw that holds the pannel but you will need thermal paste before refitting or remove the cd drive like i did, There are 4 screws that hold the cd drive in unscrew these and lift the drive out.

Once the drive is out unscrew the cross head screw out of the pannel and remove the ribbon cable. When this is done you will need to put a screwdriver in the tabs on each side to unclip the front pannel.

you should be left with the front pannel remove remove the 5 screws on the metal bit and then pull the volume knob and tuning knob off the front and you should be left with this.

When you just have the board you need to remove the 2 ribbon cables for the lcd same as the clocks pull the tabs on each side to free them.

There are 4 tabs that secure the lcd chassis to the circuit board 2 are soldered unsolder these so they are free one of them is a nightmare to do. Once you have got this off set it to one side for now.

Now its time to change the led's there are 3 different types on this. The plcc2's just do the same as the clocks, the 0805 and the 0603 led's you are going to need a head gun or hot air station i just used a heat gun. Heat the area gradually i just had the heat gun on low and went in a circle motion not concentrating in a area because you can very easily scorch the board and knacker the front pannel completely. The pannel will get hot best keep it flat to stop it warping. Once the solder reaches tempriture the leds will just flick off using a small screwdriver. The board has all the polaritys where the leds are so cant really go wrong looks like a triangle with a line through it and the new led's have a triangle on the back to show polarity again make sure you have these the right way round solder all the new leds in place.

Again its best to test the pannel but be careful if you arc to board on the radio chassis in the car you could damage it. So keep it clear.

When you are happy all the led's are working you need to strip the lcd chassis down to remove the orange plastic and you will need to replace with white plastic. I currently have 2 bits of white plastic in mine and im still experimenting trying to get it right so feel free to let me know if you find somthing that dims the blue out of the lcd.

Put the radio back together and move onto the climate control. to open it they are little plastic tabs around the outside that secure it together. Once open keep the buttons facing downward to stop them falling out and remove the board. Ine the board is free you need to remove the lcd its similar ti the clocks little tabs hold it to the board remove and set to one side. There are only a few led's to change on this i have circled the ones that need doing they have yellow tops on the white led's.

Now move on to the lcd its the same as the clocks pull it apart and there is a little orange plastic cover take this out and make one out of white plastic.

Once done best to test back in the car to make sure eveything works, when your happy put it all back together make sure all the tabs click when putting the case together.

Then move onto the parking sensor button and stopstart button. i only had 2 leds to change on this because i dont have deated seat buttons. Remove the 2 screws and open the case and remove the board and change the led's 2 no plcc2 3528's. Once done put it all back together and refit it all back in the car.

Now you need to remove the central fan vent to do the traction control and door locking buttons. There are 4 tabs at the top of the ducts you will need 2 small screwdrivers to remove this start at one side and work over to the other side once out if you are changing the engine start led best to get this out now while the fan vents are out this just pushes out.

Once done remove the buttons fron the fan duct here is a little securing tab on the top and bottom that holds it in. One out open the case by lofting the tabs and to need to change the 2 leds they are 0805 in there. There is no markings on the board to show polarity so best to get a multimeter and check polarity i didnt have one to hand so i just kept changing them round till they started working. I didnt take any pick while this was open but if i remember right looking at the board with the traction led at the top the new led has a little green tab on one side to show + traction led is green tab to the right and door locks to the left i cant exactly remember which way round they went if they dont work try them the other way, they only work with both in the board so ensure the soldering is done right. Put it all back together and refit in car the oppersit way you took it out.

Now for the lights switch firstly lift the fan cover gently a bit to gain access to 2 t20 torx screws.

Undo the 2 screws and then look further down the pannel near the obd port and you will find another to remove. Once these are out pull the pannel out and remove the side cover to gain access to the back of the light switch. There are 4 tabs holding this in press them in and the light switch comes out.

There are a few tabs around the case using a small screwdriver gently lift while pulling apart to open, remove the circuit board and change all the plcc2 3528 led's once done put it all back together and refit to the car.

Now the window switches you just need to lift the switch with a scredriver or a pannel removal tool. The front tab is a bit of a nightmare but just be gentle and it will come out.

There are a few tabs to remove the back cover for this once the cover is removed pull the circuit board out and take off the rubber that is on the board be carefull not to loose the window plastic bits if they are in the rubber part take them off and slot them back into the window switches. Its just easier to put it back together that way. Change the 3 led's inside and put it back together. Its very much the same on the passenger side just the switch is smaller.

For the steering wheel controls there are 3 t20 torx screws on the back of the steering wheel unscrew these and the pull the pannel off. I chose to do these in the car because i didnt want to mess around with the airbag. Open them up and change the 4 plcc2 led's in each side.

A little test to see if they work.

Be carefull when putting these back together and keep the buttons facing down or all the buttons will fall out like they did for me it took me ages looking for a little plastic part that fell into the seat runners. once done refit back ti the steering wheel.

Now the (stop start) enging start button has 1 3001 led in it and i can only find it in red and orange. I did try and put a plcc2 3528 on its side but could never get it working i will be changing it to red but just waiting for it to arrive.

Image.

I hope this is helpful please comment below if you have any suggestions to make things easier.

REMEMBER TO ALLWAYS MAKE A NOTE OF THE POLARITY OF THE LED'S BEFORE REMOVING THEM.
E82 123d @ 338bhp 485ftlbs Ecotune Stage3 :twisted:

mat280787
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: How to change internal leds

Post by mat280787 »

At work atm but cannot wait to read this
Alpine white e87 120d M Sport

Twenny
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Twenny »

Wow gaz that's an awesome how to fella!!!

Waaaay to involved for me to even contemplate this but impressed with the final outcome.

Or? Pay someone £30 to do the speedo and clock boom!! jobs a good un

E82 2010 125i modded by babybmw.net

2017 F80 M3CP Silverstone II

SOLD - 2010 125i E82 Coupe
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

nitro1471
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by nitro1471 »

Fantastic how to, if only I had the balls to do this, just had the instrument panel done and would love the rest done now.
Don't suppose you fancy doing it :)
E87 118d M Sport,Le Mans Blue, ProHead unit with Bluetooth & USB,Tweeters, Bola MSH Alloys, BMWP Stubby Aerial & Gloss Grills, White Dash Lights, High Darklines, LED Interior Lighting, Folding Mirrors and Alarm Beep on Lock/Unlock coded on.

typergaz
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by typergaz »

nitro1471 wrote:Fantastic how to, if only I had the balls to do this, just had the instrument panel done and would love the rest done now.
Don't suppose you fancy doing it :)
All depends on where you live mate im from the north east (middlesbrough) and i work offshore so hardly ever home. Tbh the radio is the hardest to do just because of how small the leds are and having to use a heat gun to remove them. All the rest is quite easy. But i work with electronics on a daily basis so i would think that

Kostonhumar

Post by Kostonhumar »

Hey guys,
pretty new (REALLY new) so forgive any questions that have already been answered.

is it possible to turn/change the colour of the dash of my 2012 118d to alternative colour like blue, is it a matter of changing leds or plastic acetate over whit leds?

Any help would be awesome

typergaz
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by typergaz »

No you need to change the led's if you want blue buy blue same with white. You will need white plastic for the radio lcd and aircon lcd as they have orange in them as stock.

Danny174

Post by Danny174 »

@typergaz hello there mate I know this an old post lol *fingers crossed* you’re still around? Very informative write up, I am in the process of doing this however I just wanted to ask what exactly did you use to make your white plastic filter for radio led change? Thanks Daniel

innye

Post by innye »

Hi!

For start stop button it is possible to fit a PLCC2 3528 white diode, but you have to remove 84Ohm resistor and change it to 30 Ohm.

About professional radio - there are no PLCC2 diodes on the board.

Shub7zz

Post by Shub7zz »

Hi,

Silly question but what type of white plastic will be required to replace the original orange?

I also cannot see the images, is this possibly due to an add on I will need equipped to my bowers?

herx
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by herx »

Shub7zz wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:03 pm
I also cannot see the images, is this possibly due to an add on I will need equipped to my bowers?
You are not alone. The image hosting provider has gone bust so the images are lost forever...
116i E81 N43 manual

Shub7zz

Post by Shub7zz »

herx wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:27 am
Shub7zz wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:03 pm
You are not alone. The image hosting provider has gone bust so the images are lost forever...
What a shame 😔
Looks like I'll just have to go with the flow and hope for the best hahah

Return to “How To's”