Changing front amber indicator bulbs for 'Silvertech' bulbs.

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Wilko139

Re: Changing front amber indicator bulbs for 'Silvertech' bu

Post by Wilko139 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:59 pm

Iv had a right dog of a time! Got the drivers side out no problem, then tried doing the passenger side and the holder twisted a little but wouldn't come out. The passenger indicator now isn't working and I'm getting the bulb message on the dash. To add insult to injury I had a friend have a look, he took the drivers side out to see how it works and when putting the holder back it now seems I have the same problem on that side. The holder will turn slightly but won't come out and the indicators aren't working :censored: :censored: unless some kind member has some wonder tips as to what's going on it's looking like a garage job :cry:
FL 116i E87 SE Sparkling Graphite

Twenny
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Twenny » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:15 pm

Where do you live?
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+Strut+intake+skirts+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-M135i front brakes-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

David 8
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by David 8 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:34 pm

The only thing I can suggest is make sure you got the holder lined up so it's sitting correctly which in turn makes the connection.
I lined it up by looking through the cluster and looking for the bulb.
2009 White E81 123D, Factory Xenon's, I-Drive 313's

Wilko139

Post by Wilko139 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:36 pm

I'm sure that would be good advice if I could get the indicator holders out but as I have said they won't twist out. Am I right in thinking that in order to completely remove the front headlights the bumper needs to be removed?

David 8
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by David 8 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:06 pm

It's only a slight turn to release. Are you sure you're not trying too hard ??
2009 White E81 123D, Factory Xenon's, I-Drive 313's

Wilko139

Post by Wilko139 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:59 pm

unfortunately yes, the drives side came out easy originally. I have a feeling that when my friend took the holder out the second time he put it back in the wrong way and now its stuck and the contactors are not meeting. As for the passenger side like I said, I turned the holder a 1/4 turn clockwise and it felt like it made the same click, however it wouldn't come out and is now stuck also. both bulb holders will turn slightly both clockwise and anticlockwise but wont free themselves from the headlights for neither love or money. hindsight is a wonderful thing..

Wilko139

Post by Wilko139 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:00 pm

Little update and a warning for noobs like myself! The bulb holders will only go back in correctly one way so be carefull. After taking the front bumper off and the headlights out I have got my indicators back, new silvertech bulbs and all :mrgreen: call it a lesson learnt! Cheers for all the help as well lads! First iv known of a forum being that good to a new member so thanks again

ase7en

Post by ase7en » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:25 pm

Changed these yesterday, no problems getting them out, changing them over etc but did struggle a little with getting them back in. Took me about 10 minutes, finally released they need to be lined up to make contact. Indicator on dash will go mental if they're improperly aligned. Nice little upgrade.
My car: Le Mans Blue 2008 1 series, 3-door, M sport 120d

Anish1993

Post by Anish1993 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:26 pm

My chrome indicator bulbs arrived today. Got them for about £4 something. I have now attempted to change them over

I successfully managed to do the passengers side which was SOO hard you can't begin to describe lol.
What felt like a hundred knifes stabbing my hands all at once. I've had to soldier the pain in hulk mode and somehow did this.

This is my poor hand :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I have failed to put back the drivers side one back in. Thinking about my life right now :lol:

I actually feel like removing the bumper

To anyone that plans to do this i propose you mark the top of the bulb holder with a pen so you know which way it stays up when going back in.

What do i do :cry: :cry:

Anish1993

Post by Anish1993 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:49 pm

yesss !!! :lol: :D :D :D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :spotman: :band: I DID IT you couldnt begin to imagine the happiness.

I had to say bismillah when starting the engine hoping i didnt get any errors and it all checked through :D

CD66
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by CD66 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:40 pm

Don't the E87's have the little flap inside the wheel arch for getting at the indicators ??

Anish1993

Post by Anish1993 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:07 pm

Don't the E87's have the little flap inside the wheel arch for getting at the indicators ??

By some coincidence my friend came to see me with his astra today and i saw that on his car in order to access the dipped headlight bulbs theres a flap in the arch. :shock: If this flap is also on my car I do feel like a idiot then.

CD66
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by CD66 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:00 pm

Anish1993 wrote:

By some coincidence my friend came to see me with his astra today and i saw that on his car in order to access the dipped headlight bulbs theres a flap in the arch. :shock: If this flap is also on my car I do feel like a idiot then.
Only mentioned it as my E82 has the flap in the wheel arch and made it a lot easier to change the indicator bulbs.

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:34 am

CD66 wrote:
Anish1993 wrote:

Only mentioned it as my E82 has the flap in the wheel arch and made it a lot easier to change the indicator bulbs.
I haven't seen the flap on E87 and I've had the bumper on and off twice when changing the headlights! Maybe I'm just blind.

Bimmer112

Re: Changing front amber indicator bulbs for 'Silvertech' bulbs.

Post by Bimmer112 » Thu May 24, 2018 7:11 pm

Are these correct bulbs for my car? https://www.ebay.de/itm/Halogenlampen-B ... SwW09aU7m-
They are P21W, and realoem says it should be PY21W
BMW e87 118d M47N2

Return to “How To's”