Clearing a Rear Wash Wipe Blockage

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Craikeybaby

Re: Clearing a Rear Wash Wipe Blockage

Post by Craikeybaby » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:41 pm

Gazwal86 wrote:Just thought I would add to this, as I've just fixed my rear washer jet, that hasn't been working for 3 years!!!.

Anyways

First thing I did was wanted to establish whether the blockage was at the rear of the car, or at the front (pump). As I didn't want to start removing the wheel, wheel arch etc, I started on the rear and used the half split method.

I opened the boot, and removed the 2 hex screws on the boot door, and the 2 expanding screws near the latch. It's then simply a case of pulling down the boot liner which has the popping connectors to fasten the boot lining to the boot.

You will then see the pipe going to the wiper motor through the non return valve. I disconnected the pipe and rigged a bottle and tested the pump.
I've got to this stage, but the fluid isn't coming out :(

I can hear the pump whirring away at the front of the car. Is there anything else in the pipe between the non return valve and the washer bottle in the wheel arch?

Nottsknots
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Nottsknots » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:43 pm

Theres only pipe between pump and NRV, but just because the pump is whirring, doesnt mean its pumping. The filter in the tank may be clogged, or there may be snot algae blocking the flow. Have you tried flushing the tank (stick a hose in and turn the tap on, and watch it flood out) and blowing back down the tube (with NRV removed of course). Also, before doing that, check the hose hasnt come off and flooding washer fluid al over the floor (or inside the car somewhere). Worst case, you'll have to get at the motor and tank to check, which is wheel arch liner off I'm afraid.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Wilko120d
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Wilko120d » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:26 am

Just fixed my rear washer. It turned out to be simply the hose had become attached!

Nottsknots

Post by Nottsknots » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:29 pm

Hooray for the simple fixes. :P
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Craikeybaby

Post by Craikeybaby » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:25 pm

It turned out that the motor was gone on mine, even though I could hear it whirring away and the new one does't sound any different.

BMWilluminati
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by BMWilluminati » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:04 pm

Ended up taking the whole unit apart to see it was rusted heavily so the parts affected had a bath in WD40 then a big scrub, re-oiled and greased up and back in.

The nozzle was actually a twin anyway but the top one was full of the rust that had broken away, so I ran hot water through whilst using a pin and it all broke up and came flying out! So no more squeak, nice oiled cogs and spring and much better spray.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
118D with stuff done
My progress thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=75479

senna07

Post by senna07 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:25 pm

Thanks for this, just installed the new double jet, although I had to use a screw to take out the old single jet which had snapped off inside.
All good now very happy.
2008 BMW 116i E81 M sport

floydroid

Post by floydroid » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:53 pm

Gazwal86 wrote: I opened the boot, and removed the 2 hex screws on the boot door, and the 2 expanding screws near the latch. It's then simply a case of pulling down the boot liner which has the popping connectors to fasten the boot lining to the boot.

Took the next part off

Used a small drill bit, and what came out can only be described as similar to copper crest, an orange, dirty substance.

tested it again,
I hit this job this weekend. All I can say is that it took 5 times as long as first planned and was a right PITA.
My nozzles were clear.
I had water pumped to the quick release connector on the main tube.
I removed the motor and assembly to get a better look at things and could not unblock it. I removed the right angle connector, which has been removed from the motor on the photo. Mine was white and had a black NRV. It has rusty crud at the bottom, which I cleaned out but it still didn't work. I prised off the NRV and saw the issue (well one of them...). The NRV had crud in it preventing it from working. It has a small rubber sleeve that opens under pressure from the pump. I cleaned this and replaced it. You can blow through it but it takes a lot of effort - this is normal.

Anyway, all back together and it works but the whole motor unit thing leaks. This is because the right angle connector with the built in NRV, has an 'O' ring in it that allows the wiper shaft tube to rotate freely. This used to have a chrome shiny part on the bottom of the central tube - this is the bit that has corroded and blocks your jets. The NRV holds the water in the tube to the jets and it rusts at the end that needs a smooth surface to seal against. I have seen this on two motor units. You may also find that if the pump is always working against a blockage that this may reduce it's life considerably.

0l0dom0l0

Post by 0l0dom0l0 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:13 pm

floydroid wrote:
Gazwal86 wrote: I opened the boot, and removed the 2 hex screws on the boot door, and the 2 expanding screws near the latch. It's then simply a case of pulling down the boot liner which has the popping connectors to fasten the boot lining to the boot.

Took the next part off

Used a small drill bit, and what came out can only be described as similar to copper crest, an orange, dirty substance.

tested it again,
I hit this job this weekend. All I can say is that it took 5 times as long as first planned and was a right PITA.
My nozzles were clear.
I had water pumped to the quick release connector on the main tube.
I removed the motor and assembly to get a better look at things and could not unblock it. I removed the right angle connector, which has been removed from the motor on the photo. Mine was white and had a black NRV. It has rusty crud at the bottom, which I cleaned out but it still didn't work. I prised off the NRV and saw the issue (well one of them...). The NRV had crud in it preventing it from working. It has a small rubber sleeve that opens under pressure from the pump. I cleaned this and replaced it. You can blow through it but it takes a lot of effort - this is normal.

Anyway, all back together and it works but the whole motor unit thing leaks. This is because the right angle connector with the built in NRV, has an 'O' ring in it that allows the wiper shaft tube to rotate freely. This used to have a chrome shiny part on the bottom of the central tube - this is the bit that has corroded and blocks your jets. The NRV holds the water in the tube to the jets and it rusts at the end that needs a smooth surface to seal against. I have seen this on two motor units. You may also find that if the pump is always working against a blockage that this may reduce it's life considerably.
Yes good points. I found the same. Replaced my rear wiper motor unit from ECP when they had an offer on and it cost about £65
2007 130i LE - BMWP Exhaust, Strut Brace, Air Filter, Short Shift kit and Handbrake.
B12 KIT with M3 LCA and TS.
Plus Cruise Control, Digital Speedo, CDV Delete, Camber Pin Mod, OEM LED Numberplate Lights, Brighter Non-dimming OEM Angel Eyes.

Uniquebmw

Post by Uniquebmw » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:16 am

Good write up

windyred
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by windyred » Mon May 16, 2016 7:13 pm

I do a fair bit of road biking and have a compressed air pump..( small gas cylinder etc ).for when I have a puncture. I have fixed both the front and rear washer set ups and blasted air through them...cleared a treat....also Aldi are selling these kits for a £5...they get my bike tyres upto a 100psi so they pack a punch

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

dreaddan
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by dreaddan » Wed May 18, 2016 9:49 pm

It may help some one but after I pulled as much apart with out removing the moter I poked a wire in from the outside in which dislodged something -probably rust which was ejected on the next squert
Black 2007 E81 123d

Tom_B
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Tom_B » Thu May 19, 2016 12:09 pm

I found that a bicycle spoke was just the right diameter to clear out the bore through the spindle, and the threads seemed to help scrape the gunge out too...

chemnitzer101

Post by chemnitzer101 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:04 pm

Hi all,new to this great forum,I did this job today and found the blockage to be inside the nozzle shaft,to unblock it I took the whole wiper motor off then took it apart pretty simple to do (only 6T20 Torx) then you can open up the mechanism then cleaned inside the shaft with WD40 and a cotton bud luckily my motor was really clean inside so no issues there,great Wright up without it I would have been stuck,it took about 1.5 hours and the Sun was shinning so I didn't mind,many thanks Karl.

harveymars

Post by harveymars » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:01 pm

Just to add on this, I worked out that liquid was getting through the pipes to the tailgate so no problem there.

Prised off the right angled connector part (mine was white), don't think there was a problem with this despite some rust around it, anyway popped in some vinegar to shake some of it off for good measure.

The problem lied with the part after the right angled connector up to the jet/nozzle. Anyway you could see it was blocked at the point nearest the inside, a thin screw driver and a good bash to knock it clear meant you could see daylight when you looked through it. Quick rinse through so there's nothing extra laying in the system and jobs a gooden.
BMW 1 Series E87 116i 2008

Return to “How To's”