E87 130i Starter motor

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Sam1008

E87 130i Starter motor

Post by Sam1008 » Sun May 01, 2016 5:51 pm

Having problems starting the 130. Drove it about 20 miles, parked it on the drive for 30 minutes went back out to leave again and nothing! :?

Fuel pump primes and there are several clicks from under the bonnet but it won't turn over. I've replaced the battery as its always been a little sluggish but still no luck!

So, my next thought is starter motor. Could someone give me an idea of where I'm looking for it before I go out in the rain to put a multimeter on it to check it has 12v when it should be cranking?

Cheers!

0l0dom0l0
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: E87 130i Starter motor

Post by 0l0dom0l0 » Tue May 03, 2016 1:30 pm

Sam1008 wrote:Having problems starting the 130. Drove it about 20 miles, parked it on the drive for 30 minutes went back out to leave again and nothing! :?

Fuel pump primes and there are several clicks from under the bonnet but it won't turn over. I've replaced the battery as its always been a little sluggish but still no luck!

So, my next thought is starter motor. Could someone give me an idea of where I'm looking for it before I go out in the rain to put a multimeter on it to check it has 12v when it should be cranking?

Cheers!
Have you tried jump starting it from under the bonnet? That would be my next step.

What battery did you buy, did you code it?
2007 130i LE - BMWP Exhaust, Strut Brace, Air Filter, Short Shift kit and Handbrake.
B12 KIT with M3 LCA and TS.
Plus Cruise Control, Digital Speedo, CDV Delete, Camber Pin Mod, OEM LED Numberplate Lights, Brighter Non-dimming OEM Angel Eyes.

arkeye
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by arkeye » Sat May 07, 2016 9:32 am

Sam1008 wrote:Having problems starting the 130. Drove it about 20 miles, parked it on the drive for 30 minutes went back out to leave again and nothing! :?

Cheers!
I'd like to know this also. Mine struggles to turn over sometimes, and occasionally it sticks and makes an awful grinding noise.
2005 bmw 130i M Sport
Matte black kidney grills
BMWP induction kit
BMWP back box

Sam1008

Post by Sam1008 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:05 am

Sorry for the delay!

Starter motor changed. Was a pig of a job to get the intake manifold off.

Working perfectly now though, no more sluggish starting! :spotman:

Return to “How To's”