Baby BMW Forum banner

MOT ADVISORY: Offside Front Play in steering rack inner joint

12K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  BMWBrad 
#1 ·
*** reposting due to inactive thread

Hi guys, was looking to buy a BMW 116i sport (63 plate). The car is loaded with all of the extras I want and overall seems perfect, however upon reading its MOT history (expires late sept 2020) it has an advisory stating : Offside Front Play in steering rack inner joint(s) . This is my first post so excuse me for any mistakes, but should I be worried about this? Does anyone have a rough idea of how much this would cost to rectify (in terms of labor also) ? should I steer clear of the car due to this advisory? thanks in advance!

G
#3 ·
Hi.
Assuming you don't know if its been rectified?
Normally i wouldn't be put off but with the low mileage I'd suspect it's had a knock or 2 unless just a manufacturing defect.
If the rest of the car is genuine and has no odd panel gaps or visible wheel damage (not so obvious if refurbished) I would factor that into the price.

I've only changed one on the fabia years ago. Can't mind for the life of me the part costs.

I say it often enough but if in doubt just walk away.

#6 ·
I'm buying from a known car super market, so they gave me a list of what it had done before coming in and alloy wheel refurb was the one along with some body work scratches buffed out. By a hit or two do you mean a crash or where someone hits the curb

G
#7 ·
I'd of thought it was kerb/pothole more than an accident. The one I replaced on the fabia was due to many miles and being offroad a lot. With 46,000/7 years I'd of thought you'd get more life but it's one of those things with cars, I've had a wheel bearing fail after nailing a crater on a roundabout in the 120d,That was a new one for me.
Wheel refurbs/touch up's are commonplace in the used car world.

Can you get them to fire an mot on for peace of mind? You may find its been replaced not long after the last mot.

I'd be more put off with the mot history if it was failing on tyres every year or 2 as that shows neglect.

#8 ·
The electric racks on F series 1&3 always had a little movement when powered down, which iirc was on the drivers side. If you check again with the engine idling it should disappear as the rack is now loaded up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.