Tyre Reviews Video - Do wider tyres give you more grip? The differences between tyre widths tested and explained.

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

ryujinmaru

Tyre Reviews Video - Do wider tyres give you more grip? The differences between tyre widths tested and explained.

Post by ryujinmaru » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:35 pm

Not sure if posted elsewhere already, but this is the tyres/wheels section after all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgz0qF3CuNA

Tyre Reviews gives a more extreme example than most personal tweakers would go for, but interesting seeing the square set-up results and the wet performances. Knew the wide tyres aren't great in very wet conditions due to aquaplaning, but I didn't think the difference would be as shown. Then again, those are some very wet and extreme conditions and most of the time it would be moist and damp roads that we'd be seeing instead.

Of course, would be more useful to show a more realistic increase in width and use a more powerful test car, but they had to show the differences more clearly and acknowledged the limitation imposed by the car's power.

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Tyre Reviews Video - Do wider tyres give you more grip? The differences between tyre widths tested and explained.

Post by marco_polo » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:07 am

Mirrors my experience very closely. (I'm also running Goodyear Asym 3's as it happens).

I prefer a 245mm square set-up, which is less prone to overheating the front tyres (vs skinny 225's), and gives me a more neutral balance with a hint of oversteer when I want it. No dramas in the wet, just a car that's fun to drive in all conditions.

I didn't enjoy MPSS as much in the same square sizes as their narrow drainage grooves didn't cope with standing water well (this is particular to the 245/35/18 pattern SuperSport - PS4 is fine in the same size). 245mm MPSS were better in the dry, but quite prone to aquaplanning (as THE TYRANT also found out).
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Major_Sarcasm
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Tyre Reviews Video - Do wider tyres give you more grip? The differences between tyre widths tested and explained.

Post by Major_Sarcasm » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:11 pm

Mark, would you rate the GY F1 Assy 3 over the MPS4?
Steve
/// 2015 LCI F20 M135i
///
Auto, 3-Door Brace, H&R Springs on Adaptive, Bola CSRs, BCS Powervalve & Sportscat

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:24 pm

I haven't tried both, but I suspect PS4 are the superior boot for UK summer fast-road use for most people. Depends what you want from a tyre though.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Major_Sarcasm
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Major_Sarcasm » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:30 pm

What made you go for the GYs though specifically? Most people opt for the Michelin variants.

Edit: I'm on the verge of buying new rubber all round and I'm curious about motivations for other brands.
Steve
/// 2015 LCI F20 M135i
///
Auto, 3-Door Brace, H&R Springs on Adaptive, Bola CSRs, BCS Powervalve & Sportscat

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:39 pm

Major_Sarcasm wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:30 pm
What made you go for the GYs though specifically? Most people opt for the Michelin variants.

Edit: I'm on the verge of buying new rubber all round and I'm curious about motivations for other brands.
PS4 weren't released when I bought mine, so weren't in the running. My PSS didn't like deep standing water, aquaplaned (badly) on two separate occasions. Rather noisy on my motorway commute too, despite adding extra soundproofing around the cabin.

I chose the GY Asym 3 over PSS for my daily tyres for reduced noise, improved wet grip, improved comfort and reduced stone-flick. Previous good experience with the Asym 2's added confidence. They have a slightly softer tyre wall, so have a less responsive turn-in than MPSS. They're not so good on hot dry days either.

Major_Sarcasm
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Major_Sarcasm » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:47 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply :)
Steve
/// 2015 LCI F20 M135i
///

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:00 am

marco_polo wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:07 am
I didn't enjoy MPSS as much in the same square sizes as their narrow drainage grooves didn't cope with standing water well (this is particular to the 245/35/18 pattern SuperSport - PS4 is fine in the same size). 245mm MPSS were better in the dry, but quite prone to aquaplanning (as THE TYRANT also found out).
MP - v good point re narrow drainage channels on 245 MPSS - this seems to be limited to starred oem spec version of the tyre. Non oem 245 mpss tyres appear to have wider channels - similar to MPS4. BP
Fettled M135i EB AT - gone but not forgotten !
AW M2 DCT

mikeyscott
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by mikeyscott » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:16 am

Blind Pugh wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:00 am
marco_polo wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:07 am
MP - v good point re narrow drainage channels on 245 MPSS - this seems to be limited to starred oem spec version of the tyre. Non oem 245 mpss tyres appear to have wider channels - similar to MPS4. BP
That’s interesting to know re different width drainage channels.

I haven’t decided if i’ll Upsize to 255 and go PSS/PS4/GY

Currently running PSS 225/245 on an E82 with LSD

Leaning to PS4 atm.
135i E82 2011 AW, Birds B1 Dynamics Package, MPSS

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:47 am

mikeyscott wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:16 am
That’s interesting to know re different width drainage channels.

I haven’t decided if i’ll Upsize to 255 and go PSS/PS4/GY

Currently running PSS 225/245 on an E82 with LSD

Leaning to PS4 atm.
Mikey - FWIW 255 MPSS gets my vote for 3 reasons

1 - 255 mpss tyres are noticeably wider o/a compared to 245;
2 - 255 mpss drainage channels are more akin to MPSS 225 than 245;
3 - maintains mpss F&R.

BP
AW M2 DCT

mikeyscott
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by mikeyscott » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:48 am

Will need to get higher load fronts too when due. Tears are 3mm atm. It’s not my daily at the mo. Prob done less than 2k in it the year
135i E82 2011 AW, Birds B1 Dynamics Package, MPSS

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:54 pm

mikeyscott wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:48 am
Will need to get higher load fronts too when due. Tears are 3mm atm. It’s not my daily at the mo. Prob done less than 2k in it the year
Mikey - buy Twenny’s pair of XL mpss 225/40/18

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=112185

BP
AW M2 DCT

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”