E87 LCI Rear Lights - How to have the bars light up?

Fancy some Angel Eyes, want to get rid of that yellow glow, want info on LED's, got a problem with your headlights, get your answers here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

kingkhan07
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: E87 LCI Rear Lights - How to have the bars light up?

Post by kingkhan07 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:28 pm

Unfortunately I'm not in a position today to strip the boot but I have some images which will help the install nevertheless.

This image shows the factory connection to the tail lights. If you look at your own connection the 3rd one down should be an empty gap, this is where you will need to add your own cable as I have done in blue. I didn't make a proper connector I just neatly placed a wire inside and then taped it securely it was meant to be a temporary solution but I haven't had any issues so I'll leave it like this for now.

You would have to do this on both sides, the connection to the led plate lights in on the driver side therefore the drivers side wire can be shorter and the passenger one long to reach the other side of the car. I taped the wire underneath the plastic trim on the boot.

The blue line shows where I placed the passenger wire.

I have circled a part of the boot where the cables from the rear bumper come through the firewall. It contains the parking sensor cables and importantly the led number plate lights.

I will take the boot carpet out again this weekend to show you exactly where I tapped into the plate lights. If you follow the bunch of cables back you should see a grey cable (IIRC) which should have a exposed connection I just wrapped my blue wires to this.
I apologise if the description doesn't suffice, I done this mod a few months ago.
135i N54, MHD Stage 1, Sunroof, Cruise control, Full leather, Heated Seats, CCC IDrive, Power folding mirrors, Gel Plates, F & R PDC, Adaptive Xenons.

mat280787
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by mat280787 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:19 pm

If the LED strip goes is it a whole new unit to replace?
Alpine white e87 120d M Sport

Sonic1506
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: RE: Re: E87 LCI Rear Lights - How to have the bars light up?

Post by Sonic1506 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:05 am

kingkhan07 wrote: I've coded the plate lights as drls therefore making the led strips drls.

I normally leave my lights on auto but even then during the day when I drive the led strips stay lit not sure why. Tbh if I'm paying £200 for led strips I want them to be on all the time as they are.
The LED's should stay lit if they are DRL's regardless of if the headlights are on or off but your plate lights are also on all the time correct?

Thanks for the guide.
mat280787 wrote:If the LED strip goes is it a whole new unit to replace?
Yes, I assume so.

kingkhan07
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: E87 LCI Rear Lights - How to have the bars light up?

Post by kingkhan07 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:44 am

Sonic1506 wrote:
kingkhan07 wrote: I've coded the plate lights as drls therefore making the led strips drls.

I normally leave my lights on auto but even then during the day when I drive the led strips stay lit not sure why. Tbh if I'm paying £200 for led strips I want them to be on all the time as they are.
The LED's should stay lit if they are DRL's regardless of if the headlights are on or off but your plate lights are also on all the time correct?

Thanks for the guide.
mat280787 wrote:If the LED strip goes is it a whole new unit to replace?
Yes, I assume so.
Not sure why but currently when I choose any mode on my car I.e. Auto lights, 0 or dipped the led strips always stay illuminated.

It doesn't annoy me that they are always on but now I'm just thinking why are they on during auto lights mode.
135i N54, MHD Stage 1, Sunroof, Cruise control, Full leather, Heated Seats, CCC IDrive, Power folding mirrors, Gel Plates, F & R PDC, Adaptive Xenons.

Joe
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Joe » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:23 am

Isn't that because you've coded number plate lights as DRLS? So because you've tapped the feed to strips they are now 'number plate' lights.
2010 118i ///M Sport

Sonic1506

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: E87 LCI Rear Lights - How to have the bars light up?

Post by Sonic1506 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:55 am

kingkhan07 wrote: Not sure why but currently when I choose any mode on my car I.e. Auto lights, 0 or dipped the led strips always stay illuminated.

It doesn't annoy me that they are always on but now I'm just thinking why are they on during auto lights mode.
They should always be on as they're meant to be the rear end equivalent of DRL's.

Joe
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Joe » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:34 pm

I got some 5amp 2.5mm wire to use for the LED to number plate wire. Is this man enough?
2010 118i ///M Sport

kingkhan07
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by kingkhan07 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:02 pm

Joe wrote:I got some 5amp 2.5mm wire to use for the LED to number plate wire. Is this man enough?
I just used random speaker wires tbh

Andre2004
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Andre2004 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:43 pm

great information here, I've ordered some smoked led versions, i'll try and fit them this weekend though i'll just have mine light up when the lights are on.
Estoril Blue F20 M Sport 120D - Pro Nav/DVD/6NL/BMW Advanced Online/HBA/BMW fitted HUS/Loads of extras HK Speaker upgrade with stock stereo
Sapphire Black e93 LCI M Sport 320D
Montego Blue e87 LCI SE 118D - Pro HU Bluetooth/USB

kingkhan07
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by kingkhan07 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:00 pm

Andre2004 wrote:great information here, I've ordered some smoked led versions, i'll try and fit them this weekend though i'll just have mine light up when the lights are on.
You will need to wire the led strip to some connection otherwise if you leave it you will just get normal halogen darklines and the led strip will not be used at all. You could just tap into the existing tail light wiring loom and run it off that but may get and Xmas tree effect.

Andre2004
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Andre2004 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:26 pm

kingkhan07 wrote:
Andre2004 wrote:great information here, I've ordered some smoked led versions, i'll try and fit them this weekend though i'll just have mine light up when the lights are on.
You will need to wire the led strip to some connection otherwise if you leave it you will just get normal halogen darklines and the led strip will not be used at all. You could just tap into the existing tail light wiring loom and run it off that but may get and Xmas tree effect.
Yea I was thinking of just going into number plate as that only comes on when the lights are on? or like you said go into the existing tail light loom.

I don't mind the xmas light effect really the strips still give a bit more of a modernish look.
Estoril Blue F20 M Sport 120D - Pro Nav/DVD/6NL/BMW Advanced Online/HBA/BMW fitted HUS/Loads of extras HK Speaker upgrade with stock stereo

kingkhan07
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by kingkhan07 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:34 pm

Yh number plate would be easier on that regards. I would still get the other lights coded out forum members here would do it for a few bear tokens. Xmas tree effect is horrible tbh.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Andre2004
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Andre2004 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:40 pm

just out of interest on default xenon cars at night are just rear leds strips lit up or is it all the others as well ?

Joe
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Joe » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:54 pm

Strips only.
2010 118i ///M Sport

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:18 am

You need to wire it in and code the number plate lights to always be on if I've understood the thread correctly.

Return to “Interior/Exterior Lighting”