118 or 120

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Post Reply
David.555
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:56 pm

118 or 120

Post by David.555 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:13 pm

I currently drive a 320d 2006 MSport. It's been a trouble free 2 years motoring, but I'm looking of buying a newer BMW in the next few months.

I've been looking at the 1 series. 118, or 120. Being the older model, I'm pretty sure mine has 163bhp. If I'm correct in thinking, the 118 has 150bhp, and 120 has 184bhp. Does the revised engine mean I'd probably not notice a difference between the 118 and mine?

I do like the power, but also the economy. Mine is currently averaging 44mpg.
I've also seen a few with xdrive, is something to go for, or be avoided? I will go and drive both, but any other input would be good!
2006 320d M Sport

User avatar
Uncle Tupelo
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 724
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:54 pm

Re: 118 or 120

Post by Uncle Tupelo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:13 pm

I drive a 220d Xdrive. Depending upon how I drive and how many people are in the car, I can get anything between 47 and 58 mp on my 110 mile daily commute. Rwd cars will be more economical but I really enjoy the Xdrive plus it's a more practical winter daily driver for me.
2016 220d Sport xDrive auto.

neilmcl
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 761
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:21 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire

Re: 118 or 120

Post by neilmcl » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:32 am

You will notice the difference between the 118d and 120d. I went from a 320d E90 to a 118d E87 then a 120d F20 xDrive and the difference was night and day. I actually found my fuel economy worse on the 118d because I found I was pushing it more than I would do with the 120d.
2016 F20 LCI 120d M Sport, Alpine White, Driver & Interior Comfort Pack, Leather, Sun protection, Black panel display
2013 F20 120d xDrive M Sport, Alpine White, Comfort Pack, Xenons, Leather, Sun protection
2009 E87 118D M Sport Alpine White

dark_cobra
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:48 pm

Re: 118 or 120

Post by dark_cobra » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:43 am

I had an x1 118d courtesy car on Fri while my 120d was being serviced. You really do notice the extra power and torque of the 120d, to me it was quite significant. As above, you have to push the 118d harder to get the performance out of it.
65 plate F20 lci 120d m sport. Edinburgh, Scotlandviewtopic.php?f=19&t=81082

User avatar
Uncle Tupelo
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 724
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:54 pm

Re: 118 or 120

Post by Uncle Tupelo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:06 am

Uncle Tupelo wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:13 pm
I drive a 220d Xdrive. Depending upon how I drive and how many people are in the car, I can get anything between 47 and 58 mpg on my 110 mile daily commute. Rwd cars will be more economical but I really enjoy the Xdrive plus it's a more practical winter daily driver for me.
2016 220d Sport xDrive auto.

David.555
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:56 pm

Re: 118 or 120

Post by David.555 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:04 am

Thanks for the input. I think I'm definitely going to be looking out for a 120!
2006 320d M Sport

David.555
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:56 pm

Re: 118 or 120

Post by David.555 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:13 pm

neilmcl wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:32 am
You will notice the difference between the 118d and 120d. I went from a 320d E90 to a 118d E87 then a 120d F20 xDrive and the difference was night and day. I actually found my fuel economy worse on the 118d because I found I was pushing it more than I would do with the 120d.
I have a 320d E90 now, is the difference that noticeable?
2006 320d M Sport

User avatar
Stegosaurus
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1388
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:02 pm
Location: Limbo

Re: 118 or 120

Post by Stegosaurus » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:06 pm

Save your pennies, get a well specc'd 118 and then get it mapped to the same power as a 120 would be my advice :)
Message me if you want your car photoshopped :)
Current: 2017 M140i F20 in Estoril Blue 'Lydia'
2 laps of the Nurburgring completed, 160mph achieved (autobahn)

Gone: F20 118d M Sport in Estoril Blue 'Bex'

StrangelyBrown
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:44 pm
Location: Hampshire

Re: 118 or 120

Post by StrangelyBrown » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Or a 125D.................
125D M Sport auto - With additional stuff.

dark_cobra
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:48 pm

Re: 118 or 120

Post by dark_cobra » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:59 pm

Or map a 120d up to 230-240hp?? Lots of options.
65 plate F20 lci 120d m sport. Edinburgh, Scotlandviewtopic.php?f=19&t=81082

David.555
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:56 pm

Re: 118 or 120

Post by David.555 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:00 pm

Stegosaurus wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:06 pm
Save your pennies, get a well specc'd 118 and then get it mapped to the same power as a 120 would be my advice :)
Is it same engine and turbo, just a different map?
2006 320d M Sport

David.555
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:56 pm

Re: 118 or 120

Post by David.555 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:02 pm

dark_cobra wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:59 pm
Or map a 120d up to 230-240hp?? Lots of options.
Are the engines easily good for it? With the increase in bhp, are you loosing mpg? Some maps I've seen you can gain on both?!
2006 320d M Sport

User avatar
Stegosaurus
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1388
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:02 pm
Location: Limbo

Re: 118 or 120

Post by Stegosaurus » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:40 pm

David.555 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:00 pm
Stegosaurus wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:06 pm
Save your pennies, get a well specc'd 118 and then get it mapped to the same power as a 120 would be my advice :)
Is it same engine and turbo, just a different map?
The older (pre-LCI) cars are the same engine, I'm not 100% on the turbo, but the 116i can put out the same bhp as the 120i without breaking a sweat.

I'm not really up on the new LCI engines, so I can't really help in that regard. Sorry.
Message me if you want your car photoshopped :)
Current: 2017 M140i F20 in Estoril Blue 'Lydia'
2 laps of the Nurburgring completed, 160mph achieved (autobahn)

Gone: F20 118d M Sport in Estoril Blue 'Bex'

dark_cobra
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:48 pm

Re: 118 or 120

Post by dark_cobra » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:15 pm

David.555 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:02 pm
dark_cobra wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:59 pm
Or map a 120d up to 230-240hp?? Lots of options.
Are the engines easily good for it? With the increase in bhp, are you loosing mpg? Some maps I've seen you can gain on both?!
Best asking some of the site sponsor tuners on here for detailed answer.
65 plate F20 lci 120d m sport. Edinburgh, Scotlandviewtopic.php?f=19&t=81082

Max8648
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 11:37 pm

Re: 118 or 120

Post by Max8648 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:30 pm

Driven both the 118d and 120d as either rent cars or courtesy cars.

As others have said above, i found a noticeable difference between the two and better mpg on the 120d as it does less work!

Post Reply

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”